Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 02:34 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,396,223 times

Advertisements

I would want to be rich so that I no longer had to worry about things like my rent, food, etc. It is really a source of stress for me on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:30 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,635,086 times
I would love to be rich, no more worry about bills, yes, I will take that over being broke.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,754,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
No wonder the poor commit suicide.
Actually, at least in America, I believe the suicide rate is higher among the middle class & rich.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 PM

30,856 posts, read 36,754,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have NEVER understood this. I am taxed at a certain rate -- I think it's 25% So even if I earn more money, I still get to keep 75% of it. Makes sense to earn more.
Exactly. I'm not a big advocate of more taxes. But it's not like they tax each additional dollar at 100% or anything close to that (nor should they!). yet some people talk as if that's the case.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 AM

543 posts, read 1,893,313 times
Money certainly cannot buy you happiness but it definitely makes life a lot easier. Being able to pay necessary living expenses as well as fix your car when needed, pay medical bills, and still have some money to enjoy life would be amazing!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 AM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
nothing is ever a problem if its solved by throwing money at it and you have the money.

life is also all about having choices and without money you have little choices..

i learned that early on.

i told this story many times but it really reflects my own philosophy on how much is enough.

as a kid i grew up in a nyc housing project as my family barely made ends meet.

well my bestest friend in the whole world got into some legal trouble and his family was just over the limit for legal aid.

my friend was going to have to plead guilty to something he didnt do because he had no choice. the penalty would have been far worse if a jury didnt buy his story and he wouldnt chance it with no lawyer..

i knew he was innocent because him and i chickened out and didnt go with the rest of the guys that day to do the deed.

anyway at the last minute a family member took an equity loan and got him a lawyer.

he was found not guilty and i learned early on about having money in life to make choices.

it was then i decided i would do whatever it took in life not to go through life with no choices and no money.

i wanted the maximum amount of money i could get so i would always have the maximum amount of choices.

i turned 60 last sunday and thankfully i met my goal. planning , skill ,luck and the blessings from above left us right in the position i wanted to be in.

i can retire anytime i want and we have endless choices about what to do with the last down of our lives and that to me was meeting my promise to myself of always having enough to have choices.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-12-2012 at 05:03 AM..

Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM

505 posts, read 1,658,340 times
One word - Freedom.

Freedom to do whatever the heck I please.

I want to have a bubble bath with Katy Perry on top of a mansion in Italy while Lady Gaga performs an exclusive show for me. I want Michael Simon to cook me an Iron Chef meal after I make beautiful love to my wife on a bed made with pure gold scattered about with diamond fringed pillows. I would buy the island of Japan too - just so I can shop freely without the congestion.

Oh what, none of you have these money dreams?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM

86 posts, read 166,331 times
I have skipped around on this thread, but one thing I have not found, is a question to the original author. How can we tell you why we want to be RICH, if you can not define RICH for us?

To me there are two forms of rich, and both of these I strive for, and at least one of these I plan to attain.

Rich #1-To look back on my life when I am old and grey and playing with my grandkids and be thankfull for what I have and be able to look back at my life and feel I gave my wife the best life I could give her, and attended every important event in my daughters life. And that neither of them ever doubted my love and care for them and they never NEEDED for anything. Basically saying I did a good job of working, but kept my family first and foremost in my life and never let work get in the way of family. IF I can do that then I will have been RICH!

Rich #2- I am a 37 year old college Student, so the first thing I would do is pay off my student loans and pay the rest of my college and books in cash. I do not know if I would quit work, because by working I develop experience, and no one will hire you if you are 37-40 and have not worked in four years no matter if by then I do have my bachelors degree. Now this would change if this fortune I amass is enough to let me stop working full time and not have to worry about working ever again. Some may say I am modest, and others may say I am not dreaming, but I live in MO and it is a lottery state, and my wife and I are all the time going IF we win powerball, or if we win the lottery. I have thought it out to the point I think I know what I would do for the most part.
1. Take Care of all personal Debt
2. Set up a College/ Fresh start fund for my daughter. (Fresh start, because I did not go to college right out of high school and will not make her go unless she chooses to)
3. Pay mine and my wife's families back for all of the money they have loaned us over the years with added interest.
4. Pay off some of my sister-in-laws bills.
5. Give to St. Jude, and our home church.
6. Buy my wife and I new cars
7. Take my wife on a couple of dream vacations.
8. Hire a CPA to manage the rest, so not to worry about money.

That all being said I leave you with this.

just yesterday I was reading about a person who got a large court settlement and five years ago and is now filing bankruptcy. You do not have to look far in sports, music, or television to see people who was could have been considered RICH but now have nothing or barely anything. My question is IF that is what RICH gets you is worse than you are to start out with is it worth it to be RICH?

Daddiesgirl- To an extent I have had a money dream similar to that except it would not be Japan it would be somewhere cold like in Canada, and it would not be Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, maybe bubble bath with Faith Hill and private concert by Beyonce (or vice versa).

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,206,571 times
So we (spouse and myself) could disappear into the high desert or national forests. camp out 24/7.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM

341 posts, read 681,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
So we (spouse and myself) could disappear into the high desert or national forests. camp out 24/7.
You don't need to be rich to do that. Just go do it.

Reminds me of a joke someone told:

A wealthy, self made millionaire went to South America, and bought his beach house, and sat fishing all day. There was a middle aged man who came every day, caught two fishes, and went home.

Finally, the millionaire asked the man,"How come you only catch two, and go home?"

The guy replied,"I only need two to feed my family."

"Well, why not catch 5, and sell the rest?"

"Well, I could do that", the man replied. "But then what?"

The millionaire looked proud, he felt he was getting through to the guy. "Because eventually, you'll be able to buy a boat, and catch even more!"

"Ok, then what?"

A little irritated, the millionaire said,"Then you can sell enough fish to buy a fleet, and makes tons of money, hiring people to do the fishing for you!"

"Ok, then what?"

"Well, then you'll get to a place like myself, where I bought a home here, and get to fish all day."

"I already do that.", the guy replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living