Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I’m 57. Throughout my 20s and 30s, I definately had an “ethos of more”. I was lucky in that by forty, my needs and wants were able to be met.

By 50, I began to realize that less suited me better. I didn’t replace the BMW when the engine blew. Why bother? The now 12 year old Honda sufficed, and was less trouble. I don’t care when someone dings that car.

The oversized house will be next when the dogs are gone. I’m aiming for a life with less stuff. I’ve embraced an “ethos of less”.
Actually, based on what you say here, I'd say you did have an "ethos of enough," for you did reach a point where you concluded that you were satisfied with what you had. And if what you had enabled you to kick back and relax at 40, so much the better.

The "ethos of less" part is the thing many people still have difficulty mastering. But a bunch of Baby Boomers, not all of them "rich," are learning it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
In a single word, "Options!"

Having enough money to be considered "rich" means one has more options and opportunities and access to various things and experiences, if one wants.

Financial security means one less area for struggle and allows one to move up the "Hierarchy of Needs" to the next level(s), as famously proposed by Abraham Maslow.
All true, except:

"Financial security" may not translate to being "rich", at least not as many define that term.

It does mean you have enough not to worry about setbacks, downturns or reversals in your life. Beyond that point, it's all gravy.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, based on what you say here, I'd say you did have an "ethos of enough," for you did reach a point where you concluded that you were satisfied with what you had. And if what you had enabled you to kick back and relax at 40, so much the better.

The "ethos of less" part is the thing many people still have difficulty mastering. But a bunch of Baby Boomers, not all of them "rich," are learning it now.
You’re probably right. I just think I quickly went from “enough” to “less”. Glad I did. It was for the better.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
If I buy a car, have a meal, go on a trip, or do almost anything that requires payment, I have to consider the cost. Some things I cant do, Many things I have to find the least costly way to do. I'd like to not have to do that, I'd like the cost of a $400 to $800 hotel room or a first class plane ticket, to be a trivial expense.

Having enough to not have to work anymore? That's just retirement.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:13 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difficult Dave View Post
Having enough wealth to be in a position that I never - ever - have to think about money. True liberation.
You always have to think about money to some degree. Complete liberation doesn't exist.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 AM

456 posts, read 348,515 times
Some would call DH and me rich. I would not. We do, however, have enough that neither of us has to work again. Having those "riches" gives us freedom to do what we like within reason. That's important.

I struggle to think what we might do if we won a lottery. Maybe build a different house? Buy more expensive cars? Those aren't things that really appeal to us.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
Some would call DH and me rich. I would not. We do, however, have enough that neither of us has to work again. Having those "riches" gives us freedom to do what we like within reason. That's important.

I struggle to think what we might do if we won a lottery. Maybe build a different house? Buy more expensive cars? Those aren't things that really appeal to us.
You could always take a cue from Andrew Carnegie.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
It's fun to think about what I'd do with lottery winnings. I don't even have to buy a lottery ticket since the odds of winning are nearly the same without one.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:32 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,898 times
Such an easy question for me. I've been flat broke before and I'm now financially stable, but not rich. The sole reason to be rich is to do what I want when I want. I'd like to get involved in film, for example. Well, I can volunteer maybe, but I'm not going to be able to get a low level job in it and work my way up at this point. If I was rich, I'd do it because it would be fun. Rich enough to quit work for me is $2 million. Live on 3.5-4% of that (70k-80k) per year, assuming house is paid for. Easy to do.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 PM

893 posts, read 510,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
What reasons would cause you to want to be "rich"?

NOTE: Don't put down that you just want more stuff or more money to buy more stuff. Those are not valid reasons to want to be "rich".

That said what would motivate you to desire to be "rich"??

To help others. Imagine the difference you could make!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living