Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Raising prices when strapped consumers are price-sensitive can be a formula for disaster. That's why there's often less in the box instead. The package size seems the same, but when you open it, you see a lots of "air" in it. Or the package shrinks a bit, but consumer is unable to notice it, because there is nothing of old size to compare. And so cereal shrink from 24 oz to 18 oz, Frito-Lay from 12 oz to 10, Hellman's mayo was 32 oz now is only 30, ice cream from 1.75 quarts to 1.5 quarts. Even Bounty towels got cut from 60 to 52.
Marketing guru's say that consumers are far more sensitive to higher prices than to less product. People are generally unaware they're getting less, most of those who are aware say they'd rather get less than pay more.
Another practice is to make product size reductions, but also to slightly lower prices. Most consumers like smaller-portioned packages that cost less, even when they're paying more per ounce.
Yeah.... one day I will open a carton of eggs and see only 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 10:54 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Food for thought:

Right now, my neighborhood is absolutely swimming in beautiful apples, and there's a wild plum in the easement up the street from my house covered in the sweetest fruit you'll ever taste. None of my neighbors seem interested in the bounty. I think that's a tragedy, but their loss is my gain.

Somebody recommended becoming a vegan. Not a good idea if your goal is lowering food costs. Calorie for calorie, a vegan diet is very expensive, especially if you have hungry teens. Best to stick to the basics and learn to cook. Make sure to include fiber-rich foods, like cruciferous vegetables, legumes, and whole grains to create satisfyingly filling meals. Reduce, but don't entirely excise lean meats and dairy.

Build a raised bed and plant an herb/vegetable garden, but pay attention to what you plant. Unless you are willing to invest the time in growing from seed, some things are still much less expensive at the grocery, like broccoli, for example. I grow it, but only because I enjoy doing so, not because I think it saves me any money. And, by all means, plant things you know your family will eat. No use planting rutabaga if nobody likes it. My family likes strawberries, tomatoes, salad greens, sugar snap peas, fresh herbs, and potatoes, so that's what you'll find in our garden.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 09-09-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-09-2010, 01:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
"Stocking up" seems to be relative to where you live, what is your lifestyle, etc.

I live with my property backed up to a cornfield and it is 6 miles to the nearest supermarket. I buy summer fruits and vegetables and I freeze some, can others and make jellies and jams. (Yeah, I am "old school") I will bake bread and freeze it because I like the texture; if I make too much, I freeze it. Come winter and a few feet of snow, I don't need to run to the store and that food tastes really good.

If stocking up means keeping our pantry full and our supplies in ( like toilet paper, soap, etc) , then I am guilty. I won't ever go nuts on canned anything -- you need to check expiration and make sure your cans are a year ahead and use the oldest first.

Spend some time where power outages happen (yes, we have a generator) and where you can get snowed in, you learn to stock what is needed for a while.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
\

Five years ago, when milk prices went up, those Little Caesar pizzas went up to 5.50. Have they gone back down? There are raging pizza wars going on everywhere this year.

I don't remember ours ever going over $5.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,426 times
Instead of stocking up on things, learn to cook and your food bills will go down. Don't buy convenience food, or packages with multiple ingredients that you can't recognize. Learn to bake, the results will taste better than anything you can buy in the store anyway.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
What is the value of a capitalist economy, if it is cheaper and more efficient for everyone to produce their own? When self-reliance becomes the more economical option, is that not irrefutable proof that capitalism has been an abject failure?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Food inflation is predicted in the coming year.
You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait a few years. Stocking up isn't going to help, unless you have a warehouse with a meat-locker.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is the value of a capitalist economy, if it is cheaper and more efficient for everyone to produce their own? When self-reliance becomes the more economical option, is that not irrefutable proof that capitalism has been an abject failure?
Well, some of us are afraid of that Frankenfood and prefer to grow our own for health safety and peace of mind or buy from Farmer's Markets where you "know your farmer".

Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait a few years. Stocking up isn't going to help, unless you have a warehouse with a meat-locker.
And that's when having a few acres, chickens, pigs and a few cows will come in handy

I know folks here in Texas that do direct sales of beef and they cannot keep up with the demand and have waiting lists of folks who want to buy.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that's when having a few acres, chickens, pigs and a few cows will come in handy

I know folks here in Texas that do direct sales of beef and they cannot keep up with the demand and have waiting lists of folks who want to buy.

How do you find such beef sellers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living