Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Pick Up Pennies?
Yes/Tak 174 77.68%
No/Nie 50 22.32%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times

Advertisements

I typically round up pennies in my car or home and throw them in the trash can. If I buy something in the store, I will leave pennies in the tray. What no one mentioned is a soda cost 45 cents, but the soda machine the op mentioned would not take pennies. When was the last time you ever saw even a gumball machine that took less than a dime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM

64 posts, read 208,844 times
I used to pick up cans and bottles along the road for the deposit refunds. It also got me out of the house during my free time and was good exercise. Stopped doing it because it is frowned upon in the area I live to act that gauche. Got bugged eye looks from co-workers who would see me picking up the cans. Also, traffic around here is silly. One day I would of got clipped or worse by a car. Call it mentally disturbed, but one day I'd love to have enough money so I could do something as simple and yet green as picking up bottles and cans for the "free" money. It is amazing how much people toss them out of their cars. I got tired of seeing all that nickel deposit containers just strewn about the sides of roads. As far as I have seen, nobody else has taken much interest in picking up the cans. Probably too much trouble considering they'd have to spend some time doing it.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Yes, my Irish family believes it brings good luck
That is the only reason I would pick up a penny. The monetary value is so small.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
I never pick up money if it doesn't belong to me. I believe in karma, and yes I could argue that somehow this money was owed to me by someone who had a debt to pay me. On the other hand, it could be that if I take the money, I will then have to pay the owner back. I choose to not pick it up. If somone owes me, he/she can stick the money in my hands !

Come on. If you saw a coin on the pavement of a parkinglot, you wouldn't pick it up?

Finder keepers, losers weepers.

I only pick up pennies that are heads up ~~ it's good luck. I went around the block to pick up a dollar that was blowing in the road.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Most convenience stores have a little tray of pennies on the checkout, where people getting pennies in change can throw them away, and people who need them to pay sales tax can pick a couple up if necessary. They are there for the taking, and even bums don't bother to take them.

Even quarters, the largest coin in circulation, has no practical value, because it is quite a challenge to try to think of something that you can buy and pay for it using just one quarter. (Things that are priced per piece, not one grape sold by the pound at the supermarket.)

The only thing I can think of, is actually a manufactured product, with moving parts. Insulin needles at Walmart pharmacy are 20c each, and you can buy one, with a quarter, and get change.

But it seems silly to even have coins, if the largest coin in circulation can't be used to buy anything. The US $1 bill is very close, now, to being the smallest paper banknote in the world. No western country has a paper banknote worth as little as a US dollar.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM

821 posts, read 861,331 times
Yeahhh as long as it's not in the middle of the road or something like that. Even then...maybe.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:23 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Look at it this way. If you picked up one penny a day for 365 days a year, of course that's $3.65. Do that for 50 years and you'll have $182.50. Think of what that can buy. It would probably be much more when you include other change. I'll gladly contribute a "measly" penny or nickel or whatever to my jar of coins because it really adds up after a while.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
I tell you, its not about the money, its about the Karma. All I can say is don't do it. You'll have to pay for it someday, somewhere.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I tell you, its not about the money, its about the Karma. All I can say is don't do it. You'll have to pay for it someday, somewhere.
Sorry, I choose to live in the 21st century and not believe in myths.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Come on. If you saw a coin on the pavement of a parkinglot, you wouldn't pick it up?
That's right. I wouldn't pick it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living