Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times

Advertisements

Lets face it, the USA is highly materialistic. I guess its human nature to want more and more. Afterall in economics they teach that wants are unlimited. However, for me I have pretty much settled for the idea that, "its good enough."

most people complain about the traditional stuff. I want new clothes, I want a bigger house, I want a new car, I want this I want that blah blah blah.

For me I have thrown most of those ideals out. I have enough clothes and they are good enough for me. I have a roof over my head that satisfies the need for shelter, its good enough for me. I have a used car 100k miles on it and it gets me around. I could buy a new car but I say, "why bother? my car runs just fine."

The primary reason I have this strong mentality is because the way I look at it, I'll have to WORK more/harder for all those things and it simply does not make me happy at the end of the day. As a result, this takes away time from the things that I really enjoy doing such as leisure time. In my leisure time I watch hulu, listen to pandora, lots of reading/research, and building my small business (I don't consider my small business to be working).

In fact I am so adamant to this ideal that I pinch every penny, use all my possessions as long as possible, and have zero debt.

Its all focused around the golden ideal of the pursuit of happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:59 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
You sound like loads of fun.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Not me, I'd much rather have things that make life more enjoyable than more digits in my bank account.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

In fact I am so adamant to this ideal that I pinch every penny, use all my possessions as long as possible, and have zero debt.

I don't pinch every penny (not crazy on spending either).
I don't use my possessions as long as possible (I enjoy them for as long as I want to).
I also have zero debt.

I don't have to pursue happiness. I have happiness now.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I never had the money to indulge materialism. I also don't have the personality to get or keep the striving manager type jobs needed to fund a materialistic life.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I never had the money to indulge materialism. I also don't have the personality to get or keep the striving manager type jobs needed to fund a materialistic life.
I have things which give me pleasure. I like having a tv thats easy to see and a good laptop. I have been buying a lot of books, but mostly history and mostly hardbacks off amazon. Got a couple of them for a penny plus shipping yesterday. I'm making my own bookshelves (which look far better than the ones I could afford) and doing the painting and such in the house myself. In the end it will be just want I wanted and comfortable. I don't call that materialism since the things are useful and used. Things bought just because you can or just for others to see are being materialistic, but even if its a more expensive item, if its something you use and want and its not for someone else its different.

I find that I have to wait for some of the things I see in my house and it just makes it so much better because there was no "instant" gratification involved, but getting the things needed most now until I could and enjoying the anticipation of getting it or the stuff to put it together.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM

513 posts, read 541,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Lets face it, the USA is highly materialistic. I guess its human nature to want more and more. Afterall in economics they teach that wants are unlimited. However, for me I have pretty much settled for the idea that, "its good enough."

most people complain about the traditional stuff. I want new clothes, I want a bigger house, I want a new car, I want this I want that blah blah blah.

For me I have thrown most of those ideals out. I have enough clothes and they are good enough for me. I have a roof over my head that satisfies the need for shelter, its good enough for me. I have a used car 100k miles on it and it gets me around. I could buy a new car but I say, "why bother? my car runs just fine."

The primary reason I have this strong mentality is because the way I look at it, I'll have to WORK more/harder for all those things and it simply does not make me happy at the end of the day. As a result, this takes away time from the things that I really enjoy doing such as leisure time. In my leisure time I watch hulu, listen to pandora, lots of reading/research, and building my small business (I don't consider my small business to be working).

Keep the Amway to yourself

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I don't like to accumulate possessions because I know how I am. I am crazy about taking care of them. So then they become more of a burden than anything. So I don't want more stuff that just winds up owning me.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:34 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Not me, I'd much rather have things that make life more enjoyable than more digits in my bank account.
I am talking about people who have already satisfied their basic needs for shelter, food etc. When I refer to materialism I am talking about people's drive to have the, "better" product such as luxury car, large house and anything else that isn't necessarily needed for survival.

Oh and I too spend my money but its on investments or business ventures. I rarely spend it on materialistic goods.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:00 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Yeah, that's me, too. I hate all the stress & pressure that go with that. I don't know why people want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living