U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 PM

721 posts, read 2,582,169 times

Advertisements

We all have something small that we buy all the time that doesn't cost much but adds up quickly and winds up taking substantial amounts of money.

I imagine for a lot of people it's coffee. Mine is coffee and cigarettes although I've recently started making coffee at home in the morning, brought back 30 lbs of good stuff from jamaica. Also trying to cut back on the smoking.

Whats your vice, vending machien soda, gum, candy, lotto tickets, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,249,271 times
Cigarettes and coffee. Quitting the cigarettes since I've had this cough lately and I'm worried it's because of smoking. As suicidal as it sounds (I'm not), I don't care too much for life... but I don't wanna die this young.

As for coffee, that's way more addictive for me than smoking has been. I think it's been 5 days since I had a smoke, whereas I've had a coffee almost every day for the past week. It's also more expensive; each one costs $2-4.5 whereas cigarettes cost $7.50 and last me a week or two.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,777,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
We all have something small that we buy all the time that doesn't cost much but adds up quickly and winds up taking substantial amounts of money.

I imagine for a lot of people it's coffee. Mine is coffee and cigarettes although I've recently started making coffee at home in the morning, brought back 30 lbs of good stuff from jamaica. Also trying to cut back on the smoking.

Whats your vice, vending machien soda, gum, candy, lotto tickets, etc?

hmmm... don't smoke, don't drink coffee!

I also don't buy from vending machines, or chew gum, or eat much candy, and I never but lotto tickets.
Soooo... maybe I don't have a small vice.

Unless you count buying perennials in the spring... I do spend a chuck of change on those.

I DO have large vices.... quilts and original art!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:10 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,238,720 times
mine is totally coffee. i love homemade coffee but i also love going to cafes and getting the special flavored drinks. i go in and out with mints, like altoids and breathsavers, but they don't even compare to my coffee addiction.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM

2,078 posts, read 2,909,530 times
Music. CDs, records and the gear to play them with. Can't get enough, and have been collecting for 25 years.

A close second is my 76 Monte Carlo. I don't buy much for it. But, when I do... Well, cars are expensive! Heck, a tank of gas is $60!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,387,383 times
For me it is DVD's and fast food. I only buy movies on sale but when i see a good one that i dont have in my collection then i get it, no matter how much my wife complains about our budget....which was my idea in the first place.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:11 AM

721 posts, read 2,582,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maschuette View Post
For me it is DVD's and fast food. I only buy movies on sale but when i see a good one that i dont have in my collection then i get it, no matter how much my wife complains about our budget....which was my idea in the first place.
I'm a huge movie buff myself, I have a pretty big movie collection and used to spend quiet a bit on dvd's even when buying used at disc replay, from ebay, etc. I have a pretty big movie collection but recently signed up for netflix and quit buying dvd's.

Netflix is pretty great, I sgined up on some special offer and got 2 years for the best package at only $6.99.

I get unlmited streaming movies through my xbox and can have 3 dvds checked out at a time. Also, a buddy of mine recently got this computer entertainment center thing I guess its a giant hard drive but it controls his whole entertainment system and anytime he puts in a cd or dvd it rips it onto the system so you have it forever. I think it cost him a few hundred bucks for the setup but seems like a good deal, id be tempted to get one but I'm not great with computers and stuff myself.

Anyhow, netflix helped me cut down on costs of buying dvd's, especially if your into bluerays, you can upgrade your package for like a buck a month to include blue ray movies.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 AM

15,044 posts, read 13,121,693 times
I've pretty much stopped treating myself to fast food and restaurants...when I'm alone. But I will go if I'm with family or friends.

My only splurge during the week may be a $1 snickers bar to suppilment my lunch or to snack on later in the day, which does add up, but it's worth not going through the day hungry.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,783,131 times
I finally stopped drinking Mt. Dew, Pepsi and all manner of soda pop.

Yet I find myself going through ChickfilA drive thru almost daily for lemonade. And because they are closed on Sundays, on Friday or Saturday I get the $10 gallon.

So as anyone can see, I've not broken my addiction, just changed it. But lemonade costs MORE than sodapop.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:03 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Baseball. We have a college team and a summer-collegiate-league team, so there is 7 months of baseball, at $5 a ticket. I go at least once a week. I also pay $20 a month in season for mlb.tv to watch all games online. So that's maybe $300 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or