Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM

176 posts, read 522,591 times

Advertisements

Do you consider whether you need something or just want something

when you buy something?

I have found that this helps me be more frugal

There's no end to things I want

But, there is a much shorter list of things I need

I also want a simpler life

I don't want anything that needs dusting

No cheap and cheerful things around to collect dust

I want a less materialistic life and I want the things that are luxurious

or that give me pleasure to be things worth the money!

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM

61,644 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I go by the same list... !

Old 09-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
need = a car (I live in the boonies)

so I have a $35 VW Rabbit (w/300,000 miles) that gets 50 mpg on free fryer grease.

want... A car that does not leak rain in my 120" / yr climate (every VW I have had leaks terribly, usually right over the fusebox )

New need.... overshoes (remember those things?, buckles, black...)

Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Sadly, there are more people than one can believe that think "need" and "want" are the exact same thing. So how are they ever to decide which is which?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:48 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
In order to straighten out my finances, this was the route I took at the beginning. Then I moved on to a different system.

I had to decide if a good or service was going to make me more or less productive. For example, spending $25 on a cookbook made me more productive because it made me more efficient and cut down on my waste.

Buying a toy every month for my daughter makes me less productive because she makes a mess out of them in less than 3 minutes and then she wants my attention for the next 57 minutes. This is not true for all children.

Eating out everyday at a nice restaurant makes me less productive because I really can't afford it. If I did eat out everyday, I won't be able to buy the things that make me more productive.

Eating out everyday at a fast food place makes me less productive even though I can afford it. My waistline will grow and I will feel down about that.

Sending my daughter to the top private school would make me less productive because my retirement would never exist. She will have to put up with A-rated public schools and me being more involved.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
"Need vs Want" simplified............

Wants vs. Needs - Distinguishing Between Wants and Needs

Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"Need vs Want" simplified............

Wants vs. Needs - Distinguishing Between Wants and Needs
The only thing is that in my opinion, people who need to know the difference probably won't listen to this "lecturing" until they are in big trouble with their finances.

From the website you posted
Quote:
That designer t-shirt that fits you perfectly? Well, you need more shirts, so why shouldn’t it count too?
From a supply and demand POV, if you already have a t-shirt, you don't need another one. It is like peeling potatoes all day for dinner but neglecting to prepare the vegetables and the main course. Once you become part of society, though, you might need a little more clothes. Depending on your work, you might need slightly more expensive clothes.

Buying a little figurine when you were on vacation in Norway might be worth the money because it can be a great conversation starter when you have guests. It might inspire you if you are an artist. It might bring you pleasure because you remember how beautiful the place was.

Buying a little figurine at the dollar store might not be worth it.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I've found what works for me is to ask myself "How happy is this item going make me feel and for how long?" Most times I realize it's just a temporary desire to purchase whatever it is.....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I've found what works for me is to ask myself "How happy is this item going make me feel and for how long?" Most times I realize it's just a temporary desire to purchase whatever it is.....
This is very true, at least for me.

For instance... let's say I'm considering buying a video game. First I consider the price. Then I consider how much joy it's going to bring me. I 'need' joy in my life, perhaps not in the hunter-gatherer sense but I don't want to live a miserable life. I consider the replay value, the quality of the game, and then weight it against the price.

More often than not, the brand-new price ($60) doesn't win. Now I usually wait for a game to drop in price when I buy it, especially if it's a single player game.

Another example... I don't really "need" a TV, but it would provide me entertainment. I might then 'want' a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma, but I really only 'need' a 32" Vizio which will still look pretty great.

Or today for instance, I got a cupcake and coffee. I didn't need it. My waistline probably doesn't need it. But I got it anyway. Why? Because it provides some pleasure to me. I enjoy the cupcake and the coffee, and hey I even feel good about supporting a local business.

I think the problem is people overestimate what they really need. They might 'need' a house that's bigger than a shack, but that doesn't mean they should buy a McMansion in the suburbs of DC.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
Do you consider whether you need something or just want something

when you buy something?

I have found that this helps me be more frugal

There's no end to things I want

But, there is a much shorter list of things I need

I also want a simpler life

I don't want anything that needs dusting

No cheap and cheerful things around to collect dust

I want a less materialistic life and I want the things that are luxurious

or that give me pleasure to be things worth the money!

What about you?
Ditto.

And I've gotten much better at deciding between my needs and wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living