U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 10:29 AM

464 posts, read 635,342 times

Advertisements

There is a huge danger behind our culture's lust for "cheap" products and staples; low prices drive down labor and production costs. The worker loses and eventually we all lose in the end.

Some really good books I've read that have placed an amazing perspective on our current economic crisis, why "cheaper" is not better and why I believe it's only going to worsen:

• The Price of a Bargain: The Quest for Cheap and the Death of Globalization by Gordon Laird
  • Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell

After reading these two books you will have a better understanding of how our culture cannot sustain the current consumer culture of "cheap". I really recommend them to those frugalistas who want to learn more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:34 PM

24,710 posts, read 26,777,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
There is a huge danger behind our culture's lust for "cheap" products and staples; low prices drive down labor and production costs. The worker loses and eventually we all lose in the end.

Some really good books I've read that have placed an amazing perspective on our current economic crisis, why "cheaper" is not better and why I believe it's only going to worsen:

• The Price of a Bargain: The Quest for Cheap and the Death of Globalization by Gordon Laird
  • Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell
After reading these two books you will have a better understanding of how our culture cannot sustain the current consumer culture of "cheap". I really recommend them to those frugalistas who want to learn more.
Do either of these books talk about the high cost of cheap food? I'm wondering because I think the way cattle and poultry are raised & fed, and the way they put cheap "high fructose corn syrup" in everything and all the processed foods, are causing obesity, and by extension, high health care costs.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:31 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
There is a huge difference between "cheap" and "frugal" at the end of the day.

Many people think that by being frugal (not wasting) they are being cheap but that's not the case at all. Cheap is not choosing the right thing for the task just because you're to lazy to find a better less wasteful (frugal) way to do the same thing which always requires more thought and (oh horrors!) work.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Do either of these books talk about the high cost of cheap food? I'm wondering because I think the way cattle and poultry are raised & fed, and the way they put cheap "high fructose corn syrup" in everything and all the processed foods, are causing obesity, and by extension, high health care costs.
Both books make excellent arguments against having an economy built upon the consumption of cheap items.

The book "Cheap" by Ellen Ruppel Shell does touch upon the perils and hidden costs of having "cheap" food grown elsewhere to satisfy American's needs. Author Shell gives a good example of how a restaurant like Red Lobster can offer "all you can eat Shrimp" for a certain price.

The secret is the Shrimp are grown in farms over in Thailand. The hidden costs are in the chemicals needed to support such massive Shrimp farms and their environmental impact; the human rights abuses from exploited workers, etc. Most people never conjure this when dining on their dinner; they just enjoy the cheap price they're paying for what was once an expensive luxury in certain parts of the U.S. (at least back when I was a kid)

Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
There is a huge difference between "cheap" and "frugal" at the end of the day.

Many people think that by being frugal (not wasting) they are being cheap but that's not the case at all. Cheap is not choosing the right thing for the task just because you're to lazy to find a better less wasteful (frugal) way to do the same thing which always requires more thought and (oh horrors!) work.
Absolutely true!

For the general public, the word "frugal" has somehow over the years managed to conjure up visions of its practitioners as Ebeneezer Scrooge types with spartan lifestyles. For those frugal readers here we all know that is not so; it's not easy changing the public's perception.

Elaine Ruppel Shell's book "Cheap" makes a good point in stating that as consumers, we're eventually going to have to pay the "true cost" of an item which will mean higher prices. But will our consumer base, worn out by stagnant and declining wages and job insecurity, be able to "afford" them?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:49 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
Elaine Ruppel Shell's book "Cheap" makes a good point in stating that as consumers, we're eventually going to have to pay the "true cost" of an item which will mean higher prices. But will our consumer base, worn out by stagnant and declining wages and job insecurity, be able to "afford" them?
Ah, the mythical "true cost".

It seems to me that people with an axe to grind always like to bring up the "true cost" of the programs/products that they do NOT like. When it is their sacred cow, they do not want to look at the "true cost".

Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Ah, the mythical "true cost".

It seems to me that people with an axe to grind always like to bring up the "true cost" of the programs/products that they do NOT like. When it is their sacred cow, they do not want to look at the "true cost".
Not sure if the author has any "axe to grind"; I didn't detect that as I read the book. The author's arguments were balanced and made sense economically.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:14 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,595,132 times
JibJab summed it all up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv6RcXa2UI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or