Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:28 AM

17,504 posts, read 38,984,566 times

Advertisements

In my area, my supermarket (Publix) sells some very good quality meat. I have tried a couple butchers, but did not find the quality to be any better and it was more expensive. I also love the Angus and Hereford beef sold at the Fresh Market.

I would like to be able to buy more grass-fed beef, but right now it is only available at Whole Foods unless I buy a section from a local ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:15 AM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Not sure if this is true about this particular walmart. But the one time I purchased a steak from one I discovered they inject the meat with a sodium solution to give the steaks longer shelf life. I took it back.

When I do buy steaks, I buy a whole roast and get a cheaper price. They will often cut you steaks out of it and not mark it up. Bone in rib eye, yum.
It is not just Walmart - it is pretty much everywhere in the industry, especially on prepackaged cuts. It is not so much the longer shelf life but the coloring.

You are absolutely correct on the steak/roast item. In addition, if you are doing the meatcutting, YOU can portion it to your needs and wants. For example, last weekend, I cut up a boneless pork loin. Each freezer package received one thin pork chop and one thick one. Several packages received a marinate or seasoning.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,814,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
it is pretty much everywhere in the industry, especially on prepackaged cuts. It is not so much the longer shelf life but the coloring.

Don't forget about the $$$$$. That's the primary reason for injecting with water solutions. Frozen seafood and poultry is another "pay for water" trick that is also employed.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
Thank you everyone for some great advice

I remember years ago bf and I took some nice thick Porterhouse steaks to the park and BBQ them. Amazing !

I will jot down and try to follow some tips here .

Old 10-11-2010, 12:39 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,367,567 times
Some independent butchers and butcher shops will have a meat package you can purchase. It is like purchasing 1/4 of a cow. Our little area has several shops that do this, probably because there are alot of cattle ranches here. When I compared the price of the meat package vs what I could buy in the store, it was about the same. BUT, the taste and quality is much better from the butcher.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,187,351 times
I only use my local village store for any meat. While he's not the local meat market, it's a small store and utmost quality. Noone in my family eats any kind of meat that comes from a larger chain store since they say it's too gristly. As for my favorite, tenderloin? I ALWAYS buy it whole, trim it myself and vacuum seal the rest. Perfection after plenty of resting time. But different cuts of meat require different ratios of fat and cooking methods. Plenty of sites out there that explain them all to you I'm sure.

I did recieve Omaha steaks as a gift once and I'll pass. Ok, I'm probably a little fussier about meat since I'm a reformed vegan.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM

948 posts, read 2,785,695 times
I can't imagine the generality of the op's q, having any correct answer other than - which supermarket and where? which butcher in what town? there are good markets and bad, good butchers and bad, and no guarantee on any given piece of meat - certain places you Usually get a better cut, but there no 100% guarantee. I say that cause even ranchers know there is a slight quality difference in even their own product.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM

3,029 posts, read 4,986,042 times
Beef is graded: usually Prime (not to be confused with prime rib), Choice, and Select for marbling and texture. Buy a better grade if you want better meat. No amount of marinating or tenderizing will make a Select grade steak in to Prime meat.

There's also the aging process, supermarkets and large operations will usually wet age a their product whereas specialty places will dry age theirs. Dry aging is tastier and more tender. Is it surprising that the steaks you get have been sitting for weeks, sometimes months?

Of course there's the cut of meat. Are you getting a tougher cut of meat at the supermarket than at the butcher?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,234,112 times
My dh and I prefer Angus Porterhouse that we buy at our The Fresh Market (which is compared to Whole Foods) $9.99-$12.99 lb. FM has knowledgeable Butchers & Fish Mongers. I cover the steak with a dry rub & Emeril's Essence, cover with plastic and put in the fridge for about 8 hrs. Take the steak out of the fridge and let sit to get to room temp. (about an hr.) & rub a little olive oil on both sides. A steak should never be put on a hot grill straight from taking it out of the fridge. I agree with the poster that mentioned the GF grill, I have one and it does not get hot enough. I also have bought steaks from Omaha Steaks and neither my dh or myself liked them. If you cannot find a good Butcher in your area go to either TFM or Whole Foods and ask them, my husband has an expression, "if you don't know your meat, know your Butcher."

Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
My dh and I prefer Angus Porterhouse that we buy at our The Fresh Market (which is compared to Whole Foods) $9.99-$12.99 lb. FM has knowledgeable Butchers & Fish Mongers. I cover the steak with a dry rub & Emeril's Essence, cover with plastic and put in the fridge for about 8 hrs. Take the steak out of the fridge and let sit to get to room temp. (about an hr.) & rub a little olive oil on both sides. A steak should never be put on a hot grill straight from taking it out of the fridge. I agree with the poster that mentioned the GF grill, I have one and it does not get hot enough. I also have bought steaks from Omaha Steaks and neither my dh or myself liked them. If you cannot find a good Butcher in your area go to either TFM or Whole Foods and ask them, my husband has an expression, "if you don't know your meat, know your Butcher."
Thank you for great advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living