Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,556,648 times

Advertisements

no home computer
no digital camera
no MP3 player
5 year old cell phone, minimal plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 PM

362 posts, read 390,192 times
No mortgage, own 2 homes.

NO car payments

No Cell phone- I have a free 911 cell phone.

No Landline - Use VOIP/ ooma

No CC debt

No spouse

No gym membership- I walk 3 miles a day, at least 5 days a week

Cable? I'm not giving up NFL redzone, showtime and the talking heads

All my TV's are 20" or less.

Fix most things myself and do some home improv myself.

Cook at home almost always.

Last edited by PeepoRsheep; 10-15-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 03:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,684,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I'll chime in .. I do have a spouse, but he brings his own to the frugal table!

Spouse's work provides: cable tv, internet, $80/mth health pretax insurance, work vehicle, and many discounts to be utilized - ex: 25% off our cell phone bill.

How we cut costs:
1. Smart phones - cheap ones, not 'must have'
2. Cell phone - see above discount, and we are on the best plan for our needs
3. Coffee - I love gourmet coffee. Purchased a $30 cappuccino/expresso machine and learned how to make it myself.
4. No CC debt.
5. Very inexpensive, hardy vehicles - 2009 was the first time in many years we took on a car payment and purchased a very economical Honda Civic with 50% down. Prior to this, we've owned older vehicles outright and drove them into the ground.
6. DIY vehicle maintenance - Oil changes range from $25-80 ($80 for synthetic, which we use). Do it at home for about $15. Same theory with brakes, belts, etc.
7. Online vet meds for dogs/horses - we purchase flea and heartworm meds for dogs through a supplier out of Australia for about 40% less than what we would spend in on the same product at the vet office. I save about 75% in medical costs by DIY vaccines, worming, etc for my animals.
8. DIY electronic repair - We've acquired a free flat panel tv that was 'bad' .. hubby learned how to replace bad capacitors on the board, works perfect. Overall investment: $2.53
9. Used/discount furniture - my living room tables were at the curb, my kitchen table off craigslist for $40. We have learned how to refurbish wood as needed.
10. Recycle! - the house needed heat vents replaced, they were rusty and gross. Cleaned 'em up, spray painted, good as new! To replace would've been $17 x 15.
11. DIY home improvements - installed wood floors with wood mill 'reject' wood. Solid oak planks at 60-70% off retail, installed ourselves.
12. Thrift shops. - I'm cheap.
13. Sale ads - only purchase items when on sale, will buy bulk meat and throw in freezer when I get a great deal.
14. Coupon book - Its not all work and no play, we do eat out. But, I will get a local coupon book and pick restaurants that offer buy 1 get 1 free coupons.
Your post ROCKS ! I love alot of your ideas and learned a few new ones !

Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,849,137 times
Default Cell phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
News on the radio AM.
You don't need a cell phone.
Coffee can be made at home.
You also don't need a TV either. There is radio.
Perhaps you should have said "I" or "we" don't need a cell phone. I need a cell phone; I couldn't function at various jobs I have without one, and even if that weren't the case, I would no more be without one than I would be without indoor plumbing. If we absolutely had to, we could all make do without either one - after all humanity did just that for thousands of years - but I can't see backing up 25 years just to save a few pennies. Besides, it would be a lot worse than backing up 25 years, because 25 years ago there were pay phones around which we could use when we needed them. Now what the hell do you do if your car breaks down or if you are running seriously late for an appointment or invitation?

Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 PM

17,125 posts, read 56,804,711 times
What do we opt out of that *ordinary* people generally spend money on?

1 Newer cars, car payment (substitute my mechanical ability)
2 "Modern" heat & A/C (Woodstove, open windows at night during summer, shade trees)
3 Cable (get about 12 channels OTA, Scot free)
4 Smart Phones (ordinary cell phones no contract from Consumer Cellular)
5 Revolving credit card debt (pay em off every month)
6 Fast Food (Cook at home or eat at quality restaurants)
7 Cola/Soft Drinks (Water, beer, wine, milk, kvas, whatever, just no sugar, no fizz)
8 HOA fees (live in the country)
9 Water/sewer bill (live in country on well)

We do have internet at home, a land line, ($8/month for limited service, but unlimited 800-# calling) and do have a cell phone each. To us, personal decision, these are worth paying for (and we get a decent deal on these items...)

Definitely agree that shopping thrift stores is worth doing, as is buying on sale, buying in bulk, etc.

DIY car and appliance maintenance does save us a lot.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,337,465 times
I just added up what we spend on high speed internet, cable, home phone, Blockbuster movie mailings, and cell phone and came up with $135/month or $1600/year.

It might be nice to save $1600/yr but I'm not sure saving that little amount of money really necessitates going without them. What a boring life some must live with none of the above. I'm cheap but I also like to have a little bit of fun in life too.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,735,749 times
How about live with family and help out your parents, win win situation. Split rents.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,000,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
How about live with family and help out your parents, win win situation. Split rents.
This is assuming you all can live under the same roof. We lived with my father/his wife for about a year before moving out of state - and that year was plenty enough for us! Then, a year ago, I spent about 6wks living with my in laws while we worked on another out of state move. Again - I had my fill. Its not that we don't get along, its more about we have such different ways of living and going about our every day routine that caused friction. It would have to be the perfect situation with the ability to have separate space in the house. Some families function well living together, some do not.

Along the same lines, years ago my sister and I were house mates. We both had had a list of bad house mate experiences and we knew we could tolerate each other. We made it work for about 3 years. The problem comes when lives start to take independent paths, and after a year of hiccups, making it work just became too exhausting.

I am, however, open to eventually purchasing a place that has an additional inlaw suite type apartment to either rent out or open up to my inlaws when they are ready to downsize the house.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,197,162 times
-I'm trying not to go to bars as much
-Trying to learn how to cook
-No car, I bicycle to work, no gas and maintenance

Old 10-16-2010, 11:33 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,035,297 times
Some of these lists are quite impressive!
*No landline (not so unusual these days)
*No Ipod
*Pretty basic cell phone plan, I don't email or get online with my phone. I thought this was a money saver until I spoke with my brother; he does all that on his phone and pays about $40/month less than me.
*Participate in my employer's facist health improvement program, so I can have my monthly medical insurance premium waived.
*No car payment, my car is now 7 years old and it's been paid off since I bought it four years ago (paid cash).
*We don't rent movies and anymore, seldom have time to go to the movie theater. Occasionally we will buy used DVDs, for $5 or less at local pawn/thrift stores.
*Live in the country, so no water or sewer bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living