U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 21,567 times

Advertisements

I've googled and searched about this to no avail.

I also posted in the Rural and Small Town Living forum and someone there suggested I may have more feedback here.

I've thought of converting an old 300-500 ft. chicken house into a home. I wouldn't want to convert the whole thing, just one end or part of the middle section.

Has anyone done this or know someone who has?

It seems one would have to sure up the foundation and pour in a concrete slab where you wanted the alternative living space to be. Of course the rest of the structure would have to be sure as well because it is connected to the living quarters.

The chicken house I have in mind was probably built in the 1970's and is the old type with full length of the house curtains. It was repaired a bit a few years back to be used for storage and for drying tobacco.

One plus to using a poultry house is that they already have water and electricity ran to them.

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 PM

764 posts, read 1,386,193 times
I dont know much about it but i have heard of people doing it, i have also heard of people converting grain cylos. So it isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:05 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,740 times
We had friends in CA who did that. They laid river rock as the flooring, I don't think they did anything else. They made the house trailer type, taking one side, used the other side as a garage (he worked on large machinery. It was nice, very doable.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 AM

11,891 posts, read 14,355,740 times
Then you can say you can say you live in co-op! Just without the hyphen.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM

919 posts, read 1,658,345 times
I read a blog once on someone who did that as well- but I can't recall who, or when- for whatever strange reason, the only thing I recall about the article, is the husband saying how they had their bed too close to the lower end of the coop (?), and he would always bang his head every time he sat up, lol.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM

9,322 posts, read 11,242,312 times
I know in the rural section they have converted barns.

I would Google DIY articles .

Try Web Crawler .

FYI: I looked and there seems to be plenty of articles how to build a chicken coop but few about how to build a coop into a house .

Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
I don't know about living in one but back in college there was a local guy who had converted one into a weight gym - once the chickens have been out for a few years it won't smell, or at least his didn't.

A chicken house probably won't be all that well insulated, but that could be done after the fact I guess.

In some areas getting a "certificate of occupancy" may be difficult as it may not meet the requirements for a "dwelling" - that said in most rural areas you don't have to deal with such nonsense.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:11 AM

8,575 posts, read 13,453,719 times
I have a friend near Atlanta who bought one of those chicken houses and turned it into a auto shop for vintage car restoration. He only paved the front half and used the dirt floor in the rear for storage. They are very long , and could be used for a home , but the cost would be huge. An old hand built peg and fit barn makes a much better house conversion. Insulation is the biggie along with proper heat and AC system.... There are companies that sell them disasembled , all parts numbered for easy reconstruction.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 21,567 times
Thanks for the input. I'll take it all into consideration.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

6,044 posts, read 21,125,101 times
Interesting topic because one of our outbuildings is a fairly large, cement chicken house and we were having a hypothetical conversation the other day about what it would take to make it into a home. It also has water and electric already hooked up. I really don't think it would be much different than modifying an unfinished basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living