Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Save me the righteous indigination....
Righteous indignation????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Righteous indignation????
Sorry -- been on other boards where the SUV talk gets quite heated quite fast and goes straight into righteous indignation....

Old 12-16-2010, 12:43 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I saw a homeless person, with a shopping cart, pass by a gas station the other day. Looked up at the gas prices, thumb into the air, clap-clap, smiles, laughter!

Now when the gas prices go up another dollar? A follow-up with jumping jacks, cartwheels?

Misery will always love more company!

Last edited by tijlover; 12-16-2010 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: edit/add line

Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I work in the public sector. The fundamental problem with public sector finances is lower revenues and ever higher expenditures because of overly generous pay & pension benefits, as well as ever escalating health care costs.

Once again, we must get off this obsessively short term mentality.

We can get out of the short term mentality when it won't completely ruin everyone to take on the long term mentality. yes, short term got us into this financial mess, but right now, you dont' make it worse with a myopic long term payoff, as you won't GET to that long term point. We HAVE to stabilize things BEFORE doing that, like a EMT working on an injured person at an accident scene. You don't start doing major surgery on them THERE, you have to do IMMEDIATE short term care to get the patient to where that long term treatment will actually be effective.

BTW, cheap oil didn't get us here. People making bad loans and wrapping them up and selling them off bundled with good ones is what did it. Making oil expensive might be good at some point, but making it expensive right now is a bad idea.

Standing too close to a ledge is a bad idea and potentially life threatening. But you don't get that person to safety by pushing them over it with a finger tip, regardless of how they GOT to be too close to the ledge. Unless you've already set up a net to catch them befor they reach bottom.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,284,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I saw a homeless person, with a shopping cart, pass by a gas station the other day. Looked up at the gas prices, thumb into the air, clap-clap, smiles, laughter!

Now when the gas prices go up another dollar? A follow-up with jumping jacks, cartwheels?

Misery will always love more company!
yeah, 'cause I take all my financial and social advice from homeless people.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:04 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,581 times
I don't, it will only screw the poor/working/lower middle class. It will create more poverty and misery.

Oh, and to all you hippies here, not everyone can bike or walk to work for various reasons. Try biking where I used to live when it's -20*F in January or 110*F in July. You can certainly bike living somewhere like San Diego, but not Kansas City.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Here's what msnbc.com had to say:

America to start using less gasoline for good - Business - Stocks & economy - Oil & energy - msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living