Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Here's my nomination for the biggest ripoff of this holiday season:

Western Union, Send $50 for just $5. It's a debit card, and they will send it to the recipient.

I can buy a $50 debit card for a friend at my bank, and mail it myself for 44c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
well truth be told, you do get to buy the debitcard online from the comfort of your home and Western Union will mail it out inside a gift card of your choice. I picked up a sympathy card for a co-worker who lost her dad the other week and Hallmark cards are like $3.95 now!! So $5 isn't a huge ripoff.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:27 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
well truth be told, you do get to buy the debitcard online from the comfort of your home and Western Union will mail it out inside a gift card of your choice. I picked up a sympathy card for a co-worker who lost her dad the other week and Hallmark cards are like $3.95 now!! So $5 isn't a huge ripoff.
Hallmark cards can be bought at Dollar Tree for .50 cents. The $3.95 will still be on the back, but you'll only pay half a dollar for it.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Western Union, Send $50 for just $5. It's a debit card, and they will send it to the recipient.

I wouldn't buy one of those personally but I woudln't say its the biggest ripoff or even worthy of a post.

Have you traveled internationally? If you go to currency exchanges, cambios, etc you generally tend to pay anywhere from 12%-16% which is worse than the card you mentioned which is 10%.

If you go to Jewel or Walgreens and buy a prepaid debit card there's genrally like a $3.95 charge with every $25 card.

Suzie Orman or someone just recently did a segment about ripof debit cards. Check out the Kim Kardashian card. Something like a $7 fee per month plus a giant load fee plus a bunch of other fees. Now that's really a ripoff.

Western Union obviously can be used for emergencies when you need cash but for the most part its a sergice used by low wage earners, illegal immigrants, people who can't get bank accounts b/c of bad credit, check systems, etc. When they are your only option they are going to make you pay.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Ten percent is a huge fee to pay anyone for anything, and it's a ripoff wherever it occurs. Money exchanges on the Mexican border only charge a spread of about 1%. Going on TV ads and advertising a draconian fee is even worse. Most people charging such outrageous fees have the shame to try to hide it.

I can walk into my bank, and buy a $50 prepaid debit card, for exactly $50, no fees, no charges. Then I can put into an envelope and mail it to a friend, for 44c. There is no limit on the amount. And it's reloadable, no fee. My bank has a branch in the supermarket, open whenever the store is open. Why would anybody pay more?

Western Union's card has a $100 limit, and they won't send it outside the USA.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-04-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
I can walk into my bank, and buy a $50 prepaid debit card, for exactly $50, no fees, no charges. Then I can put into an envelope and mail it to a friend, for 44c. My bank has a branch in the supermarket, open whenever the store is open. Why would anybody pay more?
I agree with you, and would do it the same way, but many people, for various reasons, would rather pay for the convenience.
We only paid 44 cents, but had to take the time and gas money to drive to the bank, and then to the Post Office, so the actual saving diminishes with each mile you drive.
I would save such a chore for a time I'm going that direction anyway. Not everyone has that option.
So the expensive option has great appeal for many, or the service wouldn't be available.... Everyone lives a different life, you do what works for you...!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:

Western Union is a lot faster than the USPS. Depends on if the near-instant transmission of $50 all the way across the country is important to you or not.

You are right that buying a pre-loaded card and mailing it yourself is normally a better deal.

But to get it there overnight you would be looking at more than $5 with a FedEx envelope, probably.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Western Union is a lot faster than the USPS. Depends on if the near-instant transmission of $50 all the way across the country is important to you or not.

You are right that buying a pre-loaded card and mailing it yourself is normally a better deal.

But to get it there overnight you would be looking at more than $5 with a FedEx envelope, probably.
Western Union's website says the gift card is delivered to the recipient by first class mail, which is a 44-cent stamp.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Ticketmaster offends me more than WU does....

Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Western Union's website says the gift card is delivered to the recipient by first class mail, which is a 44-cent stamp.
Well if that's how they are doing it, I stand corrected, it is indeed a ripoff.

For sending money overseas they do seem to provide a good value though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living