U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 AM

29 posts, read 94,034 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I will be going to graduate school next month and I would like a list of healty food for frugal living. Im trying to save as much money as I can and still stay healthy/not starve. The food I have on my list now is oatmeal. Are their any other foods that I can add to my list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 10,961,982 times
Whole wheat pastas with spaghetti sauce. You can make your own sauce from scratch pretty easy, or even buy the prepared sauces at grocery store. Lower cost cuts of meats are fine if you cook them in a way that they're not so tough, or greasy. Take advantage of seasonal "specials" and stock up a little depending on your storage space.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 AM

732 posts, read 1,667,808 times
Beans and rice. Separately, they lack in the protein dept, but when combined, they provide complete protein. Dried beans are more affordable than canned- just soak overnight and you're ready for the next day. If you use black beans, just add a bit of onion/hot pepper/garlic/tomato and salt to the cooking beans, and serve over rice with some sour cream. Great, filling meal that you can eat for days without getting bored.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
Hello All,

I will be going to graduate school next month and I would like a list of healty food for frugal living. Im trying to save as much money as I can and still stay healthy/not starve. The food I have on my list now is oatmeal. Are their any other foods that I can add to my list?
You would be better advised to cut expenses in other areas such as cell phone usage, internet access, purchasing music online, going to movies, sporting events, etc, than your diet.

That having been said. Concentrate on fresh, whole, unprocessed fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fats. Preferably raw and preferably organic. Ideally, your diet should consist of 75 percent raw and only 25 percent cooked foods. If you follow a highly nutritious diet like this, you will also benefit from having your brain working at optimum capacity, having a lot more energy *and* probably not getting sick as often as your classmates.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 5,878 times
Apples with peanut butter are a great healthy snack to have around. Fajitas are healthy and fairly inexpensive to make. I use chicken/steak, green bell peppers, and onions. The other bell peppers are a little more expensive so I leave them out and to me it tastes just as good.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 PM

29 posts, read 94,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You would be better advised to cut expenses in other areas such as cell phone usage, internet access, purchasing music online, going to movies, sporting events, etc, than your diet.

That having been said. Concentrate on fresh, whole, unprocessed fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fats. Preferably raw and preferably organic. Ideally, your diet should consist of 75 percent raw and only 25 percent cooked foods. If you follow a highly nutritious diet like this, you will also benefit from having your brain working at optimum capacity, having a lot more energy *and* probably not getting sick as often as your classmates.

20yrsinBranson
I understand but I don't do any of those things u listed.
My parent's still pay for my cell phone.
Internet usage is a must since I will be doing a lot of research online for my studies.
I have other people buy music for me
I don't go to sporting events

I don't want to spend over $200 a month on food. I realize I need healthy food but I think I can still get cheap healthy food if I realize what they are.
p.s. I take Omega 3's and Vitamin A,C,E capsules everyday so being sick won't affect me too much.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:04 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Eggs are great, veggie omelets can round out the nutrients.

Homemade soups are a great way to stretch ingredients, and can be made in large batches and frozen in individual serving sizes, so you only have to do the time-consuming part once and eat off it for ages.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 PM

6,310 posts, read 7,990,836 times
If you're willing to do your own cooking then you can save $$$.

1. Learn to make very simple dishes using beans, rice, whole grains, some fresh veggies.

2. Avoid convenience foods because those are more expensive.

3. Buy a whole chicken and you'll save $$ as compared to already cut up chicken.

4. Invest in a crock pot. You can buy very cheap cuts of meat when you do decide to have meat, and it will be tender after cooking for 8 hrs. Add some veggies, some spices, a package of onion soup, a cup of water, along with a 4 lb roast, and you'll have lots of meals from that one crockpot dish.

5. Learn to make hearty soups. Perfect for the fall & winter and so cheap! Add some crusty bread and a small salad and you've got a great dinner or lunch.

You can eat really well and not break the bank.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 PM

362 posts, read 280,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyler87 View Post
Hello All,

Things I always have in my fridge are:

A fresh head of lettuce.

A healthy supply of these, I eat one a day:

Gertrude Hawk Chocolates - Classic Candy Bars - Gourmet Bars made with Premium Flavors

A good supply of sardines of a specific variety. Great for quick hunger attacks and a great protien rush.

A half gallon of pineapple juice.

Walnut oil for salad dressing.

Ground turkey.

Merlot in a box.

Ocassional lobster. (okay, not frugal)

A dozen of eggs.

Apples, bananas, fresh lemons.

Beyond these, not much else gets in there.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:34 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
Agreed with the suggestions here and to the beans category I'll underscore that lentils are terrific and quick cooking - no need to soak them and they're full of great protein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living