Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 PM

362 posts, read 392,267 times

Advertisements

I've been known to return things (for a refund) that don't perform as promised. I don't think my personal return policy has any limits. I once returned cement board type drywall that goes behind tile in a shower. Not so odd so far, but I returned it AFTER I installed it and it started emitting an odor. I was remodeling a bathroom and before I got a chance to put the tile up I discovered this. Home depot took it back (in several large pieces). Glad I returned it. A year or two later the whole Chineese drywall thing happened. Not sure if this drywall was part of that or not.

So, what have you returned that smacks of frugality..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM

176 posts, read 583,889 times
Returning defective products is not a measure of frugality. A better measure would be to what extent you return products you don't need (you bought 5 pieces of lumber and only used 4; you bought a replacement tool that you had lost--but it then turns up).

Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,474 times
The wrong kind of meatloaf I bought at the store. I feel kind of bad, but I wanted a different kind. Didn't realize they'd have to get rid of it.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
Returning defective products is not a measure of frugality. A better measure would be to what extent you return products you don't need (you bought 5 pieces of lumber and only used 4; you bought a replacement tool that you had lost--but it then turns up).
I've done those.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Bought a new DVD burner and a SATA cable (about $2-3), found out a SATA cable was already included in the DVD burner box, so I returned the SATA cable.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
I've been known to return things (for a refund) that don't perform as promised. I don't think my personal return policy has any limits. I once returned cement board type drywall that goes behind tile in a shower. Not so odd so far, but I returned it AFTER I installed it and it started emitting an odor. I was remodeling a bathroom and before I got a chance to put the tile up I discovered this. Home depot took it back (in several large pieces). Glad I returned it. A year or two later the whole Chineese drywall thing happened. Not sure if this drywall was part of that or not.

So, what have you returned that smacks of frugality..?
Sorry, but your post , and it's example, are NOT about frugality. It is about common sense and due caution.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Buying something that you can't use is no different than buying something you can use, but don't need. If I buy something I can't use, I either throw it away (if it's useless) or give it to someone who can use it. Or find some other use for it, like a door stop. In a great majority of cases, it's my own fault for failing to assure the quality or usefulness of the product before purchase. One of the elements of frugality is to learn from those mistakes.

I think it's probably 5 or 10 years since I've returned a product to a store.

Returning a product for a refund results in higher prices, just as surely as buying something in the first place creates a job, or casting one vote elects a candidate, or adopting one pet alleviates the suffering of animals, or recycling one can reduces the stress on the environment.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-26-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 PM

926 posts, read 2,747,311 times
I bought three pairs of Roca Wear heels in three different colors. I returned one pair when I realized I would never wear anything that matches with neon green :-p

but it took me almost a month to part with them lol it was painful, the heels were GORGEOUS :-)

Old 12-31-2010, 05:24 PM

24 posts, read 138,403 times
A friend of mine and his friends, all wealthy and living in the Financial District, bought high tech equipment for a camping trip. Tent, grill, kayaks, etc.
They returned everything the day after they came back.
They were Indian.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 AM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Not really a return, but -

I used a new jar of simmer sauce on some chicken one time that tasted so nasty I couldn't eat it. Neither could dh. Not only was that jar of sauce wasted, but 4 or 5 chicken breasts were also rendered inedible - several meals for us wrecked in one fell swoop. I was pretty mad.

I called the 800 number on the jar and the company sent me some free coupons for some of their other (much tastier) products and a check to cover the cost of the wasted chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living