U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 AM

65 posts, read 325,402 times
Default How to ship a diamond ring

I left my diamond engagement ring at my parents' home across the country... (don't ask! long miserable story...) What is the best, safest, and least expensive way to have it shipped to me?

I think USPS insurance has a limit of $5000; my ring is valued at more than twice that. It seems like it would cost a lot... maybe almost $100 to ship via UPS? I'm not sure... I've never had to mail anything so valuable before. If I can't find a good option, then I have no choice but to wait until the next time we visit, which may not be for a year

Any info on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

20,116 posts, read 19,843,115 times
In that case I would not think about any CHEAP option at all. (BTW Is a delivery fee of $100 for an item that is worth more than $10,000 really too much??)
Maybe the best/safest way would be to ... visit your parents again???
Courier would be another way. Check on that, but I think that you hardly could beat $100 whatever option you choose.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM

559 posts, read 890,874 times
Use USPS's Registered Mail. See USPS - Registered Mail (http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/registeredmailservice.htm - broken link)

Registered Mail can be insured up to $25,000, and once sent, every employee who handles the package must physically sign for the package and is responsible for it until the next person handling it signs for it. USPS doesn't go into great detail about the service for security reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if Registered Mail is usually handled by bonded couriers. Prices aren't too bad, either. A $15000 ring can be sent Registered Mail for $33.35 plus fees for other services that are available.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,865,214 times
You have insurance on it, right? Maybe that would cover it if it was "lost" during shipping.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 AM

7,002 posts, read 9,281,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APNY View Post
I left my diamond engagement ring at my parents' home across the country... (don't ask! long miserable story...) What is the best, safest, and least expensive way to have it shipped to me?

I think USPS insurance has a limit of $5000; my ring is valued at more than twice that. It seems like it would cost a lot... maybe almost $100 to ship via UPS? I'm not sure... I've never had to mail anything so valuable before. If I can't find a good option, then I have no choice but to wait until the next time we visit, which may not be for a year

Any info on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!
USPS. When I picked my diamond for my ring, all the choices came via USPS to the jeweler.

And I was always told that the banks in far out reaches of the country that don't get armed guard service get their ordered cash via USPS.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:30 AM

11,100 posts, read 24,024,770 times
Trivia, back in the 1960s it was apparently common for valuables to simply be mailed first class in unmarked envelopes and boxes. I think I'd go the registered mail route myself..

Old 01-14-2011, 02:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 846,025 times
USPS registered.

Among my activities are bullion coin investing. Always sent with USPS registered, and I've received gold coins the size of a shoe polish tin and silver coins the size of a medium sized pancake.

$25,000 is the limit. If a package goes missing, the last person to sign for it (the last to touch it) will lose his job, and possibly his post master. They don't screw around. I've used registered mail to send my passport, birth certificate etc to embassies for visas as well.

Depending on the distance, registered mail could be slightly slower, due to the markedly increased security.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

20,116 posts, read 19,843,115 times
^^^ Reading all above it seems to me, that USPS is a really a great and SAFE choice for you APNY.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:22 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,303,813 times
Agree with USPS Registered. As was said above, It has to be logged and signed in and out each step of the way, and it can be insured for the full amount..

Be sure and follow the packaging requirements for Registered Mail. In a nutshell: The box needs to have all edges sealed with that brown paper packing tape (not plastic tape) so there are no seams. The PO will stamp the seals all the way around to prevent tampering.

edited to add: Pictures

Last edited by NMNan; 01-14-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,756,266 times
So a 12000$ diamond ring occupies a thread in the "frugal living" forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living