Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

Anyone got tips for my situation? I'm comfortable repairing things like my computer, appliances, furniture, etc. but not my car.

I figure I should have the ability to repair my car if I can handle those things but I don't want to risk being stranded if I screw up something in the repair process and can't drive the car anymore (I won't even be able to drive to a mechanic or auto shop, I'll have to call for an expensive tow truck in that situation.)

I only have 1 car and there are no other viable public transportation options in my local area. I do not wish to buy another car as a backup (and have to pay more for insurance and such.)

I also live a very busy life so the risk of being stranded and having to call and wait for a tow truck and waiting to get my car repaired in the event I screw up is also unacceptable under any circumstance.

My fear of being stranded is so great I leave even simple repairs to the mechanics like the following: oil changes, replacing spark plugs, replacing the engine coolant. The only repairs I currently do on my own are ones that do not render the car inoperable in the worst case like replacing burnt out taillights, replacing washer fluids, replacing windshield wipers, etc.

Given these constraints, would it still be worthwhile to do my own maintenance or should I just stick with the mechanics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Frugal Auto Repair
Anyone got tips for my situation?
This greatly depends on your particular vehicle, desired longevity, AND your skill / tool set.

Modern cars (~post 1993) need VERY little maint.
20,000 mile oil changes
3-5 yr coolant and transmission oil changes
100,000 mile tuneups / belt and hose replacements

Attend a community College / Adult EDU course... Use a local 'Church auto ministry program', and have them 'teach' you. Go to a local 'small engine / antique tractor club, and befriend an ole timer who will be glad to teach you.

For a 'spare' car, it is really tough to beat '$19 Enterprise rent-a-car', tho I usually just get a $12 Priceline car when traveling via 'air / drive'. Rarely, tho sometimes, I will rent a car for a local road trip (If I need to haul some 'special' people, who INSIST on AC, which I don't have)

Quite honestly, I do not know too many folks who have better luck with mechanics than my record. I drive a whole fleet of 50 mpg VW diesel Rabbits (30+ yrs old) most cost me UNDER $100. Many have over 300,000 miles, a few over 500,000. No worry about being stranded (just returned tonight from a 560 mile trip to the boonies; I only used 1/2 tank of 'fuel' ) In many million miles, I have NEVER been stranded in one of my own vehicles, and only twice in commercial vehicles (drive-for-hire). No big hassle, I just called the boss and told him to come get his broken semi, and I hitch-hiked home. (from another state... I didn't get paid by the hour, so I wasn't gonna wait for a couple days) ;-) I always carried plenty of spare parts, and each Mechanical break-down was when I was shuttling a truck home for another 'remote' driver who had taken my truck to his base, and sent his with me for 'repair' at our main terminal.

That said... I do EVERYTHING from fuses / interior / engine and tranny rebuilds / body and paint, tire mounting / repair... all with very little time, money, tools or skill. (But... I am a farm / ranch kid, so grew up knowing that if I got stranded or in a need; I had to FIX-it to get home or to finish the chores). My kids each had to learn to do the same, from 'engine rebuild' to 'painting' their $35 cars.

After seeing and hearing horror stories, I find it impossible to trust my car to mechanics (which I have never done, nor have I ever been towed do to a screw-up on my part).

Brakes, bearings, tires, suspension are all very important for safety, so double and triple check BEFORE taking a very cautious test drive. It was not fun to hear Car Talk a couple weeks ago, when a mechanic had worked on the brakes of a lady's car, but had NOT done a test drive and the customer drove off to realize you MUST pump the brakes numerous long strokes BEFORE the frt brake pistons pads will seat into correct position.

Woops, crunch...

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-25-2011 at 01:30 AM..

Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My kids each had to learn to do the same, from 'engine rebuild' to 'painting' their $35 cars.
This is one thing I'm so glad my son is learning to do. It's a great skill to work on your own vehicle and to have confidence doing it. When we handed down the old 1997 Jeep Wrangler to him last year, he has completely done his own body work, paint job, oil changes, clutch replacement, etc.

My husband has helped him with some of it, but he completely taught himself how to do the body work by using online tutorials and forums when he had questions. Turned out fantastic. When they replaced the clutch, my husband knew pretty much how to do it, but they did use an online site that showed step by step for the couple of times they got stuck.

I agree that it depends on the car. My husband does all the work on our 1998 Infiniti. But our 2006 Mercedes - uh, no. He doesn't touch that.

Maybe there is someone who could teach you how to do the basics - oil changes, brakes, etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I'd take a look at the car and see what sort of stuff is being done on it. Normal routine stuff doesn't cost much more to have a mechanic do it, like oil changes. Beyond that, you can start to save a bunch of money AND hassle by doing it yourself. 5 years ago I didn't know where the air filter was on my car, now I know it inside and out.

As far as being frugal goes, the best way to do that is buy a car just like yours with a bad engine or transmission (I assume you have an older 10+ year old car). You can get them really cheap, a few hundred $$. Strip everything off of it that you might need, sensors, a/c compressor, power steering pump, radiator, fuel pump, the list goes on. Then sell the car and keep the stockpile of parts for use.

You will need some tools. Those can be expensive. I know we like frugal and cheap, but I encourage you to AT LEAST buy a US made tool set - it employs many people here in the US and for a lifetime of use the cost difference is negligible. Sears Craftsman brand (not Craftsman EVOLVE, that is China) sells tool sets for beginners just starting out, and they go on sale about twice a year, and always on Black Friday. They are fully US made and guaranteed for life, anything breaks or wears you bring it back and walk out with a new one, no receipt required.

This is the set I started out with:

Craftsman 263-piece Mechanic's Tool Set with 3-Drawer Lift-Top Tool Chest

It was on sale over this Black Friday for around $170, so that is a pretty good price even @ $200 which is $70 off regular price. I got it 4 years ago for $160.

I have bought a few additional things, some hex and torx bits, and just in the past week bought a large set of wrenches (Craftsman brand) and impact sockets (also Craftsman) just because I wanted them. But using that set I have pulled an engine/tranny and fixed many many things on my Volvo and VW.

Get a Haynes or Chilton's manual for your car, and look up online forums. There are probably step by step instructions with how to do things from pulling engines to changing wiper blades.

This stuff is addicting though. Shops wanted $1200 to fix my wife's a/c, I did it myself for $300 total including new parts, well my rule is take half the savings and buy more tools, so I ended up with a Craftsman air compressor and air tools, retractable air hose reel etc, just more stuff to buy.

For the frugal type that is mechanically inclined, running an older car, you can save a large amount of money doing stuff yourself, and often with better results using higher end parts than those in a shop will use. Shops wanted $600 for a 4 wheel brake job on my car, I put new Brembo (Italy) rotors and Akebono Ceramic pads on my car on all four corners for under $300 vs. the cheap crap they put on it. On my wife's car, I took apart the calipers and refinished them, using a wire brush and phosphoric acid to re-seal the surface. Came out looking fantastic.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM

168 posts, read 308,002 times
i have done everything on our vehicles. i never pay a mechanic. my brother has recently started doing the same. he uses utube. hes changed his own brakes and even replaced the cam sensor on his wifes pt cruiser. he is also tired of paying someone $70 an hour for work he can do on a saturday, remembering our lives growing up with a body and paint man for a father.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
for years, hubby did it all by himself. but he has the tools and knowledge (and the ability to troubleshoot and research) problems. Now, hes older and doesnt want to do it and we have the money to have it done by someone else. so we do.

but he is teaching my 'little' brother (almost 20 years old) to work on his jeep little by little. we got him a basic mechanics tool set for xmas, and anytime he comes over hubby shows him how to do something, and how to look up info to get the results and instructions you need.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Some really great replies here!

The most expensive part of our DIY car work has been the tools to do it. You can get cheap tools, but you'll eventually have to replace them. Spend a few dollars more and go with mid-grade .. and they might last a bit longer. It is all relative to the person.

Get to know You Tube and Google. They are great tools for mechanical work! Also, online auto / mechanic / enthusiast forums are fantastic for help. Take time to find out normal repairs for your vehicle. For example, my FIL has a Toyota Tacoma with a model year that has a history of rusting frames and bad radiators. This allowed him to plan ahead for specific repairs.

Buy a vehicle specific repair manual. This will come in handy and pay for itself. Do your research on what needs to be done when. For example, transmission flushes can cause premature transmission death. This may or may not be fact, but do your research and hear what others have to say. If your car needs a timing belt, do it BEFORE the recommended mileage.

My husband and I do all the 'minor' repairs ourselves - oil changes, brakes, air filters, spark plugs, etc. Major items we leave to mechanics for the reassurance and convenience right now - timing belt, transmission work, major engine work. Reason: if it goes south, I have a warranty if I paid a reputable shop for it. We don't have a good garage set up at home right now, and pulling a vehicle apart for a major operation isn't an option at this time; but, we've done it in the past and will do it again.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,715 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Some really great replies here!

The most expensive part of our DIY car work has been the tools to do it. You can get cheap tools, ... Better to buy higher quality tools at a garage sale. Many brands have 'lifetime' warranty. Decent quality tools will last a few lifetimes (I still use many of my grandfather's tools)

Get to know You Tube and Google. this is helpful, some enterprising folks sell / post good video / details. (they seem to never show the part about the bolt busting off...)
... Major items we leave to mechanics for the reassurance and convenience .... if it goes south, I have a warranty if I paid a reputable shop for it. ..
yes, finding that reputable shop... Tranny issues are the worst, many fixes can be done by replacing a sensor, but shops charge you for a $2000 rebuild. Funny they can do that i a few hours... and provide you w/ plenty of 'broken parts' to decorate your 'repair' room

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM

168 posts, read 308,002 times
trannys are a huge issue. find a forum with your type of vehicle and use it. im into jeeps www.jeepforum.com and if you search for any problem someone has the answer. especially tranny issues. when someone new joins and explains that a shop quoted him 2 grand for a well needed rebuild and they find out its a shift sensor or the bands need tightened. they end up doing it themselves and saving around 1800 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living