Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Mostly Walmart and Sam's Club (I always use savings catcher app at Walmart).

I will occasionally shop at Winn-Dixie or Publix, but it's mostly stuff on sale or BOGOs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:43 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Mostly Walmart and Sam's Club (I always use savings catcher app at Walmart).

I will occasionally shop at Winn-Dixie or Publix, but it's mostly stuff on sale or BOGOs.

I do all my shopping at Walmart but that's because 1) I work there and 2) it's just TOO convenient. When I do go to another store I get 'sticker shock'. Safeway is the worst for high prices. We also have a Food City and Fry's (Kroger) here but I rarely go to either. I ad match and use savings catcher as well. It pays! We have Basha's, which is also high prices, but both are nearly 20 miles away.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
My most frequent shopping is done at Publix. It's close and I like their produce, meats and BOGO's. They are also very friendly and always willing to go out of their way to help. I stocked up on my cat's favorite canned food this week as it was a BOGO. Unfortunately over the last few months, I have found the quality going down at our local Publix.

I go to Fresh Market for the freshly ground almond butter (tastes 10x better than regular from the supermarkets) and I buy fish when it is on sale. I picked up a Chilean Sea Bass a while back that was the best fish I ever tasted.

If I happen to be in a Super Target for other things I may pick up a few items in there but I don't care for their produce. Ditto for Wal-Mart. I don't care for their meats or produce.

We are supposed to be getting a Whole Foods and I think I heard someone say we might be getting a Trader Joe's. I can't wait to have some more choices.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I do all my shopping at Walmart but that's because 1) I work there and 2) it's just TOO convenient. When I do go to another store I get 'sticker shock'. Safeway is the worst for high prices. We also have a Food City and Fry's (Kroger) here but I rarely go to either. I ad match and use savings catcher as well. It pays! We have Basha's, which is also high prices, but both are nearly 20 miles away.
A few months ago, when I had some time to kill, I walked around a Walmart Supercenter in Tucson just to see what their prices were like compared to the other local places that I shop - namely Fry's (Kroger's), Food City, and 99 Only. I picked 20-30 items that I buy monthly in the meat section, staples, bakery and produce items. I found that Food City was lower on nearly every produce item. Walmart's "everyday low price" and Fry's NORMAL prices were fairly similar. However, Fry's sales prices were often much cheaper than the Walmart price.

The real clincher for me was that the quality of the Kroger private label brands is so much better than the Great Value stuff.

In the interest of fairness, if I lived in the Phoenix area instead of 120 miles south, I would do the BULK of my shopping at Winco Foods which offers prices substantially lower than Fry's or Walmart. And when ALDI arrives in Arizona in 3-5 years, they will get a chunk of my business.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Walmart beats almost all grocery stores around here on cereal prices. I can get a huge 'value size' box of Special K at Walmart for $3.98, you'll pay more than that for a much smaller store brand box at Publix.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Costco, occasionally Winco or Wal
Mart. Also to a local salvage grocery store - been disappointed lately with spoiled items which hasnt happened in 20 years of shopping there.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:12 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I generally just shop one store weekly for food (Krogers). Once a month I go to Walmart for Dog/cat food and other bulk supplies. Not much of a choice in my area unless I want to drive 30 miles away (60 round trip).

Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times
Kroger--love click list, order online and pickup
Publix for meat and name brand bogo
Fresh Market--Tuesday 2.99 boneless skinless chicken breast and ground chuck

Old 01-06-2017, 03:56 AM

678 posts, read 438,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
There is a trade-off between saving money and saving time,
so I am curious as to how many stores you regularly buy food at and how often you visit them.
about 6 stores,
Season dependent: Monthly while growing foods, which slows down during winter so then shop twice monthly, or if really big sale then weekly.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM

324 posts, read 271,150 times
Kroger - sales and markdowns
HEB- sales and markdowns
Albertsons- sales and markdowns
Aldi - staples
Walmart - bulk staples
Winco- when I'm heading that way since it's out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living