Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
No no, any person that's fallen on hard times always gets a pass from me. Always..........
I wonder if they sell tinted-readers ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
So you can call your doc, get your old prescription, give the numbers to zenni and get new glasses ? You don't need an actual doc prescription or am I wrong ?
Zenni is in China. Any more questions?

By the way, your Doc probably won't tell your your old Rx if it is more than one or two years old. That seems to vary by state, even though there is no state that has a law (as far as I know) stale-dating eyeglass Rx. In many places, you can't even take your existing glasses to an eyeglass shop and have them read your RX from them, they will tell you to go back to your doc and get it on paper, and if you have an old one, they won't even make replacement lenses for you. When you get a prescription, guard it with your life.

If you're on Medicare, there are a number of Goodwill Stores in Michigan that now have an optical center, with an optometrist and will make glasses, and it's covered by Medicare. As far as I know, they are only in Western Michigan so far. Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon, Flint and Traverse City.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-28-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Thanks for this thread! Now I know where to get my next glasses!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Zenni is in China. Any more questions?

By the way, your Doc probably won't tell your your old Rx if it is more than one or two years old. That seems to vary by state, even though there is no state that has a law (as far as I know) stale-dating eyeglass Rx. In many places, you can't even take your existing glasses to an eyeglass shop and have them read your RX from them, they will tell you to go back to your doc and get it on paper, and if you have an old one, they won't even make replacement lenses for you. When you get a prescription, guard it with your life.

If you're on Medicare, there are a number of Goodwill Stores in Michigan that now have an optical center, with an optometrist and will make glasses, and it's covered by Medicare. As far as I know, they are only in Western Michigan so far. Grand Rapids, Holland, Muskegon, Flint and Traverse City.
Thanks ! I was wondering : Can't the Walmart read your presciption off your glasses themselves by visual inspection ?

I remember someone reading my glasses and telling me the script size ...

Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Or if you're just tired of paying a 500%+ markup for glasses that are no better than the ones you can order on line for a fraction of the price.
That 500% markup ( a fantasy guess at best ) pays for the optician to check your eyes for a whole host of very bad conditions and/or illnesses that will go undiagnosed if you do it yourself with cheap online suppliers.

Now let me see.... My eyes or cheap online glasses?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Now this has me wondering: what does everything think of the frame quality?
I'm another happy Zenni customer- but one thing I did notice about 2 of the frames I've ordered is that the paint rubs off on the thin nose piece of 2 wire framed pairs I have- no big deal to me because I've had them a few years and will order more- but since you asked I wanted to mention it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
That 500% markup ( a fantasy guess at best ) pays for the optician to check your eyes for a whole host of very bad conditions and/or illnesses that will go undiagnosed if you do it yourself with cheap online suppliers.

Yes, you do want a high quality and thorough exam. Like you can get in Mex, Canada, or Thailand for a fraction of USA price. You can actually pay for a cheap air ticket, by combining your needs and having a Medi-vacation (glasses, teeth, minor surgery, OT/ PT therapy....). I have seen BKK for $380 RT. Stop in Lang Kawi Malaysia for a nice recovery too. The Europeans have been doing this for yrs, and many countries have 5* accommodations for your services and recovery (family rooms available in most hospitals during FULL recovery).

As I previously mentioned, 39dollar has been far more responsive than Zenni. They made me a new pair and replaced some frames that didn't fit. Zenni has never even responded to my requests and have sent me the wrong product and prescription.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
As many of us know, eye glasses can be rediculously expensive. I have been wearing some I got at the box store in the mall for 2 pair for $99. They were ok.

I frequent another frugal forum (frugal village) and there were several discussions about zenni optical (do web search) and their very low prices. People were happy with the glasses too. I did a web search for other reviews too, many people were happy, some were not.

I checked out zenni and picked out several pair of glasses that I liked. They were so cheap, $7-12 (they have more expensive ones too), that I got 5 pairs. It was around $70 total. Some people talked about long wait times to get their order, as I think they are from China. I got mine 12 days after I ordered them, package was postmarked from California. I'm happy with them all. I need to sit in front of a mirror with some pliers to do some minor fit adjustments on them.

I showed them to a friend of mine who used to work for an optician. She said they all looked great. She told me that when she worked there she would get frames on employee price and they were $3-4 for her (~$100 for customers). There seems to be a huge markup on eyeglasses.

One review I read online someone took their zenni glasses to have their eye doctor look at them and he said they were fine. When she told them what she paid the doctor asked for the website. He had elderly patients who couldn't afford glasses and he wanted to order some for them online.

No FI here, just a happy customer with enough eyeglasses for the next 5 years.
I wouldn't mind buying glasses retail if I didn't have such problems with eye doctors not having a clue. I have been to three different eye doctors and in each case the prescription was ALL WRONG. With today's technology, you would think they would come up with a better way of examining eyes than saying.... "which is clearer? this or this?" How in the hell do I know which is clearer they both look the same.

I bought one pair of glasses and the prescription was so bad I was throwing up by the end of the day. I don't understand what is so hard about writing a decent prescription for glasses.

Luckily, I can get by on reading glasses from the dollar store. I would like to be able to see better, but I am not going to deal with morons any more.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Thanks ! I was wondering : Can't the Walmart read your presciption off your glasses themselves by visual inspection ?

I remember someone reading my glasses and telling me the script size ...

Absolutely.

As for China, my favorite frames - Marchon Flexon - are now made in China with no deterioration in quality. These frames are nearly impossible to bend out of shape.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

The Optician does NOT check you eyes for illness and the like; he fills prescriptions like a pharmacist.

An opthomologist (a medical doctor) checks for diseases and illnesses of the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living