U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM

15,130 posts, read 31,049,261 times

Advertisements

I have recently started buying a brand of chicken sold at Super Target called "Gold n Plump" While not organic, they are cage free chickens, the farm produces all their feed, contains no solution and after reading everything on the website, I feel comfortable buying and eating these. They are REALLY tasty, and a lot cheaper (by about half) than the certfied organic ones. To me it's a good trade-off. I highly recommend them. I buy the whole young 3.5 lb fryer for $5.49 or so, but they are often on sale for half that. I make broth with them first, then use the meat for a couple meals. Delish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,405,334 times
Let me say again; the Wmart chicken I buy is not organic but is not subjected to A/B's and hormones. It tastes like chicken should taste.

There is no comparison to true organic chicken but then an organic chicken will run about $12 while this non A/b non hormone chicken at Wmart is about $6.

The point I was trying to make was that the chicken will pay for itself by making a chicken stock from the carcass. If you use an organic chicken you can effectively cut the price in half by making a chicken stock with the leftovers.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,297,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Let me say again; the Wmart chicken I buy is not organic but is not subjected to A/B's and hormones. It tastes like chicken should taste.

There is no comparison to true organic chicken but then an organic chicken will run about $12 while this non A/b non hormone chicken at Wmart is about $6.

The point I was trying to make was that the chicken will pay for itself by making a chicken stock from the carcass. If you use an organic chicken you can effectively cut the price in half by making a chicken stock with the leftovers.
Well, I'm sure that eating chicken without A/B's and hormones is much better than eating chicken with these things.

If the price point that you pay for the food you put in your body (and your child's body) is the most important factor, then surely, you are better off buying the WalMart brand.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-08-2011, 01:39 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,340,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24;17688065[B
]I love chicken thigh but it's too fat.[/b] I eat 3-5 lbs of chicken breast a day. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get 'Organic' chicken (which is significantly more expensive).

I don't like the fat either, but I've learned that barbecuing helps cook out the fat or cooking the thighs on low heat for a longer amount of time in the oven. I only buy the organic if it's on sale.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 AM

26,341 posts, read 18,938,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I love chicken thigh but it's too fat. I eat 3-5 lbs of chicken breast a day. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get 'Organic' chicken (which is significantly more expensive).
really?

that's a helluva lot of chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or