U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 06:51 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,249,811 times

Advertisements

This forum is called frugal living, but what about cheap living. How are ways you are cheap and proud to be cheap? What tactics do you use to make an excuse for your wife when she's mad at your spending behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,588,008 times
Don't eat and don't go anwhere! Seriously, start gradually cutting back on little things. Like me, I use to buy coffee everyday on my way to work. Now I make it a 2 days p/week treat. For me, I have to start out little!

Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 PM

292 posts, read 543,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Don't eat and don't go anwhere! Seriously, start gradually cutting back on little things. Like me, I use to buy coffee everyday on my way to work. Now I make it a 2 days p/week treat. For me, I have to start out little!
I used to have 2 lattes every day from Starbucks. I haven't been in a Starbucks in at least a year now. I've started cutting down on the little things, eg cable channels, etc and they make the most difference.

Eating out was expensive! That stuff adds up!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,806 posts, read 37,487,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
...What tactics do you use to make an excuse for your wife when she's mad at your spending behavior?
Take her to a free concert event with FREE food (did one myself TONIGHT).
a monthly event sponsored at the local Steinway Piano Shop. EXCELLENT

Use Happy Hour menus for any nights out. (steak for $2.25 at a GREAT steakhouse nearby) Remember to check, but many places have happy Hour AGAIN from 9pm to closing.

Go to a FREE concert in the park, make her a favorite picnic lunch, and DO IT Right ...

Frequent your local Bulk Food warehouse (I prefer Costco). They often have free samples about supper time

Tell her (often) how much you appreciate her thriftiness (and tell her she is pretty, (very often too))

Look sharp for her in something she bought for you. (not the underwear and socks ...)

SIT down with her and LISTEN (don't try to 'fix her problems'.... just be a real good listener)

Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 AM

11,432 posts, read 19,452,773 times
I call my husband The Finder. Since we have a janitorial company, we have access to lots of dumpsters and it's amazing what people toss out. I've gotten several nice lamps and all I had to do is rewire them at a cost of about 4 bucks. On occasion replace the shades at Target for 10.

Our TV stand is a dumpster find, our best hand crank can opener is a dumpster find, and he finds tons of books that he either sells on Ebay or we take to half price books and pocket the cash.

The other thing -- these things are NEVER in the dumpster...these things are placed outside the dumpster for people to take.

And hubby and I are in this together... so it's not a problem. But if your wife is having a problem with it, follow Stealth Rabbits suggestions.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM

948 posts, read 2,268,590 times
Fix stuff on your own!

In the last month or so I've rebuilt the 4x4 hubs on my kids pickup (saved several hundred vs. replacing - more if I went to a shop) took about 5 hours between a couple of days. Replaced the blower motor on my furnace (they don't make an exact replacement anymore, but a little searching saved me tons). Replaced the igniter on my kitchen oven - which avoided a minimum $80 dollar service call which would have resulted in an additional return to replace part and additional hourly charge.

Minimal tools were needed for all. Frustration was high more than once, but heck I easily saved 800-1000 bucks on repairs last month on things that were near necessities, and did it all in my spare time - I am no mechanical wizard nor were they things I had experience fixing - I just didn't want all the $ from my second job to seemingly disappear - so I dug in and figured it out (with a little help from my friends/family and the internet).

I respect repairmen/women and think they are usually worth their rate, but if you can do it yourself the gratification will be returned knowing you could handle it yourself.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,928,374 times
To me, there is a difference between being "frugal" and being "cheap." I take frugal to mean thrifty and mindfully trying to save money to use for more necessary things. A virtue, as I see it. On the other hand, being cheap, to me, means being a tightwad and holding back just to hold back. Being cheap is a lack of generosity that is often hurtful to other people -- perhaps that is what your wife objects to, OP.

A cheap person often doesn't pull his or her weight. Do you eat at the office parties but don't contribute your own dish? Do you refuse to give someone a lift in order to save gas? Do you take the cheapest bottle to the wine tasting? My experience with cheap people is they are often withholding in generous gestures that don't even cost them anything.

Here's a story from my "cheap hall of fame." I had a boyfriend once who bought me a used book for a Christmas gift. I would have been able to excuse that had he not also been withholding of affection and other thoughtful gestures. How did the relationship end? I called to request assistance when I had TWO tires blow out on me in a giant pothole -- at night and in the rain!! -- and he told me I should call a cab and arrange to have the car towed in the morning. Where was he at the time? Hanging out with a pal he saw regularly. And where had I been when this mishap occurred? Out buying groceries because he invited two of his friends to dinner and wanted me to cook for them. That was it for me. I took the groceries to my place and told him he could take his friends to a restaurant.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,588,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessClassic View Post
I used to have 2 lattes every day from Starbucks. I haven't been in a Starbucks in at least a year now. I've started cutting down on the little things, eg cable channels, etc and they make the most difference.

Eating out was expensive! That stuff adds up!!!
Ohhh....Starbucks is my weakness. That's where I buy my 2 coffees!!! But I have learned how to squeek out a free coffee...I buy the bags of starbucks in Walmart, and the bag allows you to a free coffee at SB's. OR if you buy a bag of beans there and have them ground, you get a free cup of whatever you want at our local SB"s.

I have tried cutting back on the cable channels, but my DH won't let me.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM

229 posts, read 506,159 times
I go to thrift stores when they have 1/2 off sales. I have a nice wardrobe and no one would guess my clothes are second hand. Also, the Goodwill by my house sells books that haven't sold during the week for .15, yes, 15 cents, every Wednesday. You have to get there early though! I also make all my food and very, very seldom eat out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living