U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 PM

708 posts, read 2,406,505 times

Advertisements

mfw there's no public transit where i live and the hills are too steep to navigate on bike: =((((((
the problem isn't that people don't want to give up their cars; it's that most of us can't!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This may help narrow the focus of this thread......
It would help if you could change the title of the thread... (huge waste of viewing for many). I will venture to guess 50% of the ''traffic on "Frugal" are rural dwellers, or those who need their own cars for legitimate reasons; work, medical, hobbist, lazy...

Quote:
I don't believe that rural living will be practical as a bicycle only way of life until the number of vehicles on our two lane roads declines due to super high fuel prices.
Maybe that is why it works so well in Europe... Rural dwellers can own a Tractor (or Unimog) and a Bicycle + the PASSENGER train comes through the village every hour. Provisioners or shops deliver purchased goods directly to your address.

I did many yrs via bike, but with several friends being killed or maimed, I prefer my 50 mpg StealthRabbit (rescued for $35 total capital expenditure). The heat and windshield wipers are kinda nice in a climate that rains 285 days / yr. But I'm paying dearly for that luxury (please send me your waste fryer grease, for my free fuel)

Tires $5 at salvage yard (once every several yrs) insurance is the killer @ $20 / month.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM

14,780 posts, read 35,868,142 times
Before the vast majority can save serious $ by riding bikes, we as a nation need to spend serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rethinking how we live and develop. Until then, the infrastructure for many to go "car free" simply doesn't exist. There is no car share to borrow from when the need arises. There is no reliable public transportation available 24/7. You can't do all the necessary shopping by bike. Etc., etc. etc.

Even if you could go car free 99% of the time, there is always that 1% when you NEED a car. Something like your child breaks their arm and needs to get to the hospital.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Even if you could go car free 99% of the time, there is always that 1% when you NEED a car. Something like your child breaks their arm and needs to get to the hospital.
Just got a visual of a man taking his wife-in-labor to the hospital on a bike.... LOL!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,083,847 times
Quote:
Total up how much you spend on cars/trucks (add everything not just gas) you own then read the story to see if you can keep all that car $$$$ for yourself...........

You will find that total to be shocking kings ransom!!

How to Be a Car-Free Family by Angela and Dorea Vierling-Claassen
Wouldn't give up my car for nothing. I don't like riding public transportation its inconvenient, not all that cheap in itself, and I dont like riding with others. I wanna enjoy my coffee, have a smoke and blast my music.

I drive a Camry so 4 cylander not bad on gas, havn't had to make any repairs in the past 8 years with the exception of a stabalizer bar I replaced myself witha fiend for like $150, aside from that just oil changes.

Even if you live in a large burb like 100K plus public transportation really sucks. In the city I may consider it but even in large burbs public transportation is non existant in my state.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM

229 posts, read 517,989 times
I took the bus for awhile when I was working as a temp downtown and the time it took, along with the crowding, smells (either too much perfume or the person obviously hadn't bathed in awhile), waiting in cold weather, etc. was not a pleasant experience. There is so much freedom in having a car - I would not give mine up, even tho I live in a city.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,641,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Before the vast majority can save serious $ by riding bikes, we as a nation need to spend serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ rethinking how we live and develop. Until then, the infrastructure for many to go "car free" simply doesn't exist. There is no car share to borrow from when the need arises. There is no reliable public transportation available 24/7. You can't do all the necessary shopping by bike. Etc., etc. etc.

all true but to dramatic really. Also if a person isn't smart enough to deal with that 1% they need a better plan.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,520,066 times
Quote:
all true but to dramatic really. Also if a person isn't smart enough to deal with that 1% they need a better plan.

...Many of us refuse to live in stinking, crowded cities.

To say nothing of living a life where our freedom (Of movement) is restricted

Buddy of mine says a "Man" will have three things to be a truly free man:
A Weapon to defend himself, his loved ones, and his possessions.
Land, so he can do WTF he wants.. (Man, castle etc)
A vehicle so he can go where he pleases, when he pleases.

Something to that...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM

24,726 posts, read 23,697,394 times
Dramatic? I don't see any drama in those statements.

There's no car share program in my town. The nearest bus stop is over three miles from my home. Half of the roads in my area don't have a bike lane or even a shoulder. The last time that I ordered a cab, and I had to call three regional companies before I found one that would send a car out here, it didn't show up!

I'd love to see that woman in the photo haul those two kiddies and a couple of sacks of groceries around in a city like Pittsburgh.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd love to see that woman in the photo haul those two kiddies and a couple of sacks of groceries around in a city like Pittsburgh.
Why did you single out Pittsburgh?
It actually has mass transit, cabs and ZipCars available.
Plus it is becoming very bicycle friendly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living