U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM

448 posts, read 864,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Just got a visual of a man taking his wife-in-labor to the hospital on a bike.... LOL!
going 95 in a 65 mph zone LMAO. that would work ya think lol

Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM

448 posts, read 864,947 times
people talk about a need for a car in a rual area ok i can agree with that but what about the cities where the bus runs upto certain hr's and you have to work after them hr's i need a car. seems like the diesels are paying off faster than the hybrids are i see no point for hybrids and eletric cars when the new diesels are cleaner that regular gas powered cars and better on fuel than hybrids my gf has a 2011 jetta tdi and she's getting 50 mpg in the city and 67 mpg on the freeway thats impressive. plus you can drive the crap out of a diesel the engine will last forever unlike a hybrid and they havent still told us how much the batteries will cost to replace and dispose of iv'e been hearing romours that the bats can cost from $150 to 15 k and i noticed my ins went up 70 for that hybrids i asked why the ins co says it cost more to fix. so i see it pointless owning a hybrid and i don't like put put around town eathier

Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
...seems like the diesels are paying off faster than the hybrids are i see no point for hybrids and eletric cars ...a diesel the engine will last forever unlike a hybrid and they havent still told us how much the batteries will cost to replace and dispose of ...
Hybrid Diesels are really efficient (diesels like to run at constant RPM). Europe gets the good cars and trucks, but there has been a hybrid diesel delivery truck for over 10 yrs. IF the Hybrid and electric resources were directed to 24 x 7 commercial applications it would be MUCH faster and cheaper to produce econo cars for the person that drives 20 minutes / day

My $35 VW Rabbit is paying off fairly well, and is the ultimate in Sustainability (getting more use out of costly manufactured goods, using less resources)

VW-D 50 mpg since 1976, no Fossil fuels, OPEC, or toxic batteries required"

Quote:
How to save serious $$$$$$$$$

I seriously doubt my bike is so cheap (considering price / maint / parts / fuel / productivity time ...)

Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM

2,110 posts, read 3,846,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I actually added up everything, One of my motorcycles... cost of insurance, gas, cost of the bike, everything... Cost me $70 to ride it 19,000 miles.
You rode it 19,000 miles without needing new tires?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 AM

2,110 posts, read 3,846,959 times
Motorcycle: $30 (gas) *12 + $90 (insurance) + $750 (generous amount for oil, tires, etc) + $0 (street parking) = $1200/year

NYC: $104 (metro card) * 12 = $1248/year

Austin: $64 (metro card) * 12 + $50+9*2*4*12 (zip car once a week for 2 hours for groceries, etc) = $1682/year

Pittsburgh: Same as Austin but higher bus pass cost.

This doesn't factor in to account living near desirable amenities almost always costs significantly more per month.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM

935 posts, read 2,187,155 times
I don't drive and I live in a rural area. Frankly, I wish I was living back in England again. I had so much freedom when I was living in the UK: public transportation, a lot of things within walking distance, etc. In rural areas, you basically have to have a car in order to get anywhere. Heck, I have family that live in areas that are so rural they cannot even get their mail delivered to their house! They have to drive 15 minutes to the nearest post office to get their mail. And Goodness help you if you want delivery. I asked my relatives if I could order a pizza and they laughed at me!

I plan on moving to a larger city. Even then, there are some cities which allegedly claim you have to have a car (like Los Angeles). I've asked friends that live in the area on very frugal budgets, professors, friends who are wealthier, etc. and all of them have told me that you have to have a car in Los Angeles. I hope that isn't true, but I haven't heard from anyone who lives in L.A. without a car. There are some cities in which you don't necessarily need a car, which I plan on moving to one of them, but I think living completely without a car would mean convincing the government to invest in public transportation (trains, metros, buses, etc.).

Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
$70 seems a bit low. The cost of driving my car this year, barring any major maintenance, will be a little less than $2400

$70 registration
$1000 in fuel and car washes
$600 new tires
$150 maintenance
$500 annual insurance

And that's for ONE paid off car! I'm beginning to see how families get into trouble.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,523,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
You rode it 19,000 miles without needing new tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
$70 seems a bit low. .
I like to think during the ride, so I did the math and checked it here's what I mean:

Bought the bike for $1,000

Spent under (But rounded up) to $500 fixing it, taxes, making sure everything was G2G. (I tend to be more cautious of 2 wheels... it can be BAD if it breaks down... Don't mind so much if my junker truck fails)

Accounted for the front fork seal needing to be replaced, for tires, for the chain I replaced, insurance, for the oil and filters I used...

Did all the work myself or with a couple buddies helping.
-I'm no mechanic, but I can follow a manual. My first bike was in MUCH worse condition.

Looked at the miles I rode. (I used it as a commuter vehicle to get to work)
and the miles I would of driven in the truck, I subtracted the difference in gas/money I would of spent driving the truck, vs the bike.

I DID NOT subtract the miles/$ I rode for 'fun'

Then I wrecked it.

Payoff (Book value) was quite a bit more than my cost.

I subtracted the cost of my medical bills (Minor) the cost of replacing my gear (Which is why my medical bills were so minor) -This cost NOT so minor...

And all accounted for....

19,000 miles and one wreck and trip to the ER later....

$70 to the good!

Note, I DO NOT recommend this method of 'breaking even'
SELL IT instead!

I used the Insurrance money to buy a XR650L for $1150 which (At the time) was booked at about $2,600...

Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,666,956 times
Default There is a problem of definition here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
$70 seems a bit low. The cost of driving my car this year, barring any major maintenance, will be a little less than $2400

$70 registration
$1000 in fuel and car washes
$600 new tires
$150 maintenance
$500 annual insurance

And that's for ONE paid off car! I'm beginning to see how families get into trouble.
That totals $2320 for using a car for one year. To that, we would presumably add something for the amortization of the original cost of the car. In other words, the $2320 is the annual out-of-pocket cost. This is a tad less than $200 per month! I don't understand what you mean about "how families get into trouble". To me, on the contrary, this shows that the OP's title for his thread is inaccurate. How can $2320 per year constitute "serious $$$$$$$$$" unless one is destitute? Or perhaps the Frugal Living Forum is supposed to be only for people who have minimum-wage jobs? I am interested in frugal living because I have practiced it my entire life, but I am not understanding something here.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM

5,609 posts, read 8,523,147 times
He goes through a set of tires each year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living