Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 11,671 times

Advertisements

I have a question I can't seem to make a post about it.

My families company is relocating to SouthWest Florida. My boss currently lives in West Rotunda. He is 50 so this is suitable for him. I am being told that our office location will be within 10 miles of West Rotunda, most likely 10 miles North. My question is; where should I move to - I don't want to drive an hour and would prefer to keep it to a minimum. So I think that leaves Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota all out of the picture - as well at Fort Myers. I am 23 years old and I am looking for a place that is not strictly ALL "old" retired individuals. Nothing wrong with that at all as sometimes they make good golf partners. However I am single and it would be nice to see females my age and be in a place that has some nightlife to it. I am not big party guy but still to be able to have the option is always nice and gives me the opportunity to meet others my age. Any suggestions? Having looked around it seems as though my options are Venice, Englewood, Grove city - however I am not sure as I am very uneducated in this discussion however that is what is close to my current boss' house.

Any advice will help me but just please keep in mind my flexibility is limited. I would have loved Tampa - I've been down there the last three years, that and Sarasota and St. Pete ..all beautiful places and have a lot to offer - I guess I just pulled the shorter stick. So with that being said I want to make the best of this and as I said any sound advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM

17,487 posts, read 38,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwc44 View Post
I have a question I can't seem to make a post about it.

My families company is relocating to SouthWest Florida. My boss currently lives in West Rotunda. He is 50 so this is suitable for him. I am being told that our office location will be within 10 miles of West Rotunda, most likely 10 miles North. My question is; where should I move to - I don't want to drive an hour and would prefer to keep it to a minimum. So I think that leaves Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota all out of the picture - as well at Fort Myers. I am 23 years old and I am looking for a place that is not strictly ALL "old" retired individuals. Nothing wrong with that at all as sometimes they make good golf partners. However I am single and it would be nice to see females my age and be in a place that has some nightlife to it. I am not big party guy but still to be able to have the option is always nice and gives me the opportunity to meet others my age. Any suggestions? Having looked around it seems as though my options are Venice, Englewood, Grove city - however I am not sure as I am very uneducated in this discussion however that is what is close to my current boss' house.

Any advice will help me but just please keep in mind my flexibility is limited. I would have loved Tampa - I've been down there the last three years, that and Sarasota and St. Pete ..all beautiful places and have a lot to offer - I guess I just pulled the shorter stick. So with that being said I want to make the best of this and as I said any sound advice is much appreciated. Thank you!
Hi - you should post this in the Sarasota forum, you will get more help. Unfortunately, unless you are willing to drive an hour and live in Sarasota you are kind of stuck with mostly older population. Venice is a cute city, but very old and no nightlife to speak of. At your age, you are going to find yourself driving an hour for things to do anyway, so it might be worth it.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 53,450 times
Florida was once very inexpensive to live but that is no longer the case.
Taxes have gone way up on property,utilities are very high, insurance has gone up about 300% in the past 5 years and a 30% increase was just approved with a bill being pushed for agencies to carry reinsurance which will raise insurance an estimated 60% more. Fod, clothing and everything has gone way up.
I was shocked to see that I spent much less money on groceries on a recent trip to Northern California then I do here in South Florida.
Most cities are actually eliminating mobile home parke as they can not withstand even minor hurricanes so you verywell may move in and recieve an evection notice without warning.
As far as condos, they can be had in the 30 thousand range , but expect 700-900 in taxes yearly and 300-400 quarterly in maintaince,and at this time due to all the forclosures, lenders will not finance a condo without extremely good credit and a minium of 60% down.Most condo boards also require 1-2 years maintaince in escro up front.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,698,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyftlaud View Post
Florida was once very inexpensive to live but that is no longer the case.
Taxes have gone way up on property,utilities are very high, insurance has gone up about 300% in the past 5 years and a 30% increase was just approved with a bill being pushed for agencies to carry reinsurance which will raise insurance an estimated 60% more. Fod, clothing and everything has gone way up.
I was shocked to see that I spent much less money on groceries on a recent trip to Northern California then I do here in South Florida.
Most cities are actually eliminating mobile home parke as they can not withstand even minor hurricanes so you verywell may move in and recieve an evection notice without warning.
As far as condos, they can be had in the 30 thousand range , but expect 700-900 in taxes yearly and 300-400 quarterly in maintaince,and at this time due to all the forclosures, lenders will not finance a condo without extremely good credit and a minium of 60% down.Most condo boards also require 1-2 years maintaince in escro up front.
Exactly Tony. When there is a hurricane, it is mandatory to leave the mobile home. Your home you might not find sitting there ....when the storm is over...

Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,716,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwc44 View Post
My boss currently lives in West Rotunda.
Can you give us any geographical reference points that can be found on google maps, so we know what locations you are talking about?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM

494 posts, read 1,669,763 times
I'd think 400-500 per month no problem if you are ok with the area. Might have to pay some utilities as not many people let A/C run wild on their tab. Might have to mow the yard.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,262,413 times
Be careful, some of those older mobile homes are nice, others are filled with so many la cucarachas that the floor moves.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,675,567 times
Nice place to visit in the winter too hot in summer for me coastal Carolina's a better bet MO

Old 03-19-2011, 09:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,914,656 times
be careful what you wish for- you just might end up in a $400 a month mobile home in florida........

Old 03-20-2011, 07:56 AM

90 posts, read 268,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
be careful what you wish for- you just might end up in a $400 a month mobile home in florida........
Yeah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living