U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:02 AM

780 posts, read 1,119,788 times

Advertisements

I'm the only person I know who's never been there. My cousin just came back and said he was offered a mobile home for $700 and the rent was $400 a month which included everything. He also said there's lots of similar deals like that down there. I'm trying to sell a house in CT. Once that's done I'm out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,915,330 times
I don't live in FL, but hope to someday VERY soon.

I'm sure there ARE places there you could live pretty cheap, but I'm not sure how great of area it would be (I'm thinking of CT when I type that) or if it far from things to do (thinking northern FL there).

As far as getting a mobile home that cheap, I don't doubt you can, but they are also not known to withstand the weather very well. They usually don't hold up to well in hurricanes from what I have heard.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:44 PM

4,876 posts, read 5,762,774 times
I lived in South Florida and it's NOT cheap ! Its one of the more expensive places to live...

High Car Insurance, Rentals, Gas Prices, Electricity, because your air conditioning runs almost year round ( depending on your comfort level ) the Cost of Living is high.

On the plus side : The condos and homes have dropped to rock bottom prices so you can get a condo very cheap now.

Your friend hopefully checked out the area that he got so cheap. Some cities are cheaper than South Florida area of Palm Beach County...

I am sure there are parts of Florida that are very cheap/ economical.

Just so you know, I did love Florida but my reasons were mostly the rain, the green, the beach.

I get 2 out of 3 here The beach I now have to drive to 200 miles away...But it's all good !

Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,282,584 times
There are some very nice, affordable parts of Florida to live in, such as the Ocala area. Home prices there have been depressed for a LONG time, so you can get quite a bit of home for your money. The problem there is jobs - there are none, at least not very many good paying jobs. Like my parents (who live there) keep telling me, Florida is a great place to retire to, just bring your money with you.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 25,506 times
Default Depends on what area you live in

South Florida is not cheap at all. If you're just looking for a one bed/one bath that could run you anywhere from $700-$900 depending on the area. If your looking at Miami then forget it, you won't find anything there. However, I think the further North you go the cheaper the places are. I know for a fact in Orlando you can get a 2 bed/2 bath apartment for $900 easily if you know where to look. So it really depends on what area you want to live in.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
There is a lot less difference than you think in the cost of living from one part of the country to another. Look at a chart of the cost of living in different cities. After chopping off the outrageously high localities at one end and a few really cheap ones at the other, the variance runs, at most, about 15% from the norm, with indices between about 85 and 115. That means if you squeeze your budget into a $1,000 a month bracket, you save about $300 by moving from Providence to Joplin, but less than $100 a month between just about any pair of places where your two darts might hit the dartboard.

Look at this list. The Florida cities are clustered right around the 100 index.
http://www.kiplinger.com/tools/bestcities_sort/

Nearly all the savings would be in housing. Most other things would be about the same. Car insurance will be lower in a small rural town, but grocery prices will eat up that savings. The price of gas varies by less than 25c a gallon on a coast to coast trip. Almost everywhere will use about the same energy year round, whether it is on heating or AC, although you might need both in Kansas and neither in California. Most nickel and dime things will cancel each other out.

So, given all the other reasons why you might want to move, the cost of living in you new place is probably less important that the other qualities of life that you might be looking for.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-14-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM

11,748 posts, read 27,321,510 times
Older mobile homes are dirt cheap in some areas. However, park rent and utilities bring costs up and the location can be miserable.

Florida is a single state in name only. The coast along the panhandle is tourist beach for Alabama and Georgia, The interior panhandle and northwest Florida is SERIOUSLY conservative and religious, but relatively inexpensive - you might get a livable mobile home on a private lot for under $50,000. Orlando is oriented around the theme parks. Southeast Florida (what people call south Florida) has sky-high auto and home insurance rates and high property taxes. Boca is high end and has a strong Jewish influence, north of Weston is retirement for some of the nastiest New Yorkers I've ever seen (and I've lived in a couple of places in New York). Miami is ethnically divided into north Cuba, north Columbia, and a few other areas. Southwest Florida - Ft. Myers, Naples, etc. is where old midwesterners come to die. The Keys are so costly now that they are essentially off-limits, except for tourists.

If you move to Florida, you can almost be guaranteed to have some culture shock. Places to buy would be east of Ft. Myers - that area is in the mid-part of a major growth spurt and land there will increase in value. For low cost of living, probably east of Ocala or north of Tallahassee would be options. Be aware of the summer, especially in the interior as being excessively humid and hot. Auto transmissions and air conditioner replacements are common, especially in cars that have lived in the north.

There is no rock in Florida, only coral limestone. There are no mountains. There ARE hurricanes and there ARE lightning storms like you have never seen.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 PM

16,123 posts, read 16,236,695 times
Florida is very different from area to area. The job situation is bad in many areas here. Will you need to work? If not then you can find some really good deals on condo's and mobile homes right now. The farther you are away from either coast and outside of the bigger cities the lower the cost. Your insurance and taxes will also be lower. Yes you can still live cheaply in FL. It just depends if you like those areas.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,915,330 times
I have relatives south of Orlando, in central FL. They live on a big piece of land (acre or so) in a huge house, which was quite cheap. It's a nice area too. The house down the street from them, last year sold for about $35,000-40,000 (I forget what my uncle said). Nice piece of land, didn't need much work other than cosmetic stuff.

The catch? No jobs in the area. And that really isn't due so much to the economy as just where they are located.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:00 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,542,601 times
No jobs and hot as heck. Are you used to heat? Older mobile homes are not insulated well and the heat can be unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living