Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

First of all, I wouldn't get into credit card debt in the first place, and second of all, this really didn't invoke any sympathy for me. I ended up with more than enough money.

I skipped all social/fun outings and it told me that 'high stress is common among those with low incomes'. Give me a break. Most successful people I know in my office work 70-75 hour weeks for 5-10 years to get started in their careers. Suck it up and make some sacrifices so you can have a good stream of money coming in. And what is with not having a public transit option? Or better yet, the option to bike to work? Get a bike for $50 on craigslist and you are good. I biked 13 miles each way to work for a year and a half to save money. And a $75/mo cell phone plan? Unbelievable...Even with these ridiculous constraints it was easy to have money left over at the end of the month.

Maybe these people don't have money because they see the choices given are their only options...I can't imagine making $9/hr and actually choosing to own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
First of all, I wouldn't get into credit card debt in the first place, and second of all, this really didn't invoke any sympathy for me. I ended up with more than enough money.

I skipped all social/fun outings and it told me that 'high stress is common among those with low incomes'. Give me a break. Most successful people I know in my office work 70-75 hour weeks for 5-10 years to get started in their careers. Suck it up and make some sacrifices so you can have a good stream of money coming in. And what is with not having a public transit option? Or better yet, the option to bike to work? Get a bike for $50 on craigslist and you are good. I biked 13 miles each way to work for a year and a half to save money. And a $75/mo cell phone plan? Unbelievable...Even with these ridiculous constraints it was easy to have money left over at the end of the month.

Maybe these people don't have money because they see the choices given are their only options...I can't imagine making $9/hr and actually choosing to own a car.

The game tries to create an overall "typical" situation which totally misses the reality of so many people.

For example, the game insists that you can't totally get rid of your car, because "over 50% of Americans" do not have good public transportation. (Right off the bat it was a bad sign that rent/transportation cost is minimized approx 30 miles from work.)

Yes, you CAN bike to work - just move real close to your job - but the game STILL insists you can't get rid of your car.

The assumptions - $7K credit card debt, a $75/mo cell phone plan - sounded plausible for someone who previously had (but lost) a good job, but not realistic for someone who normally makes $300/week. After all, if you lose your job, your credit card debt doesn't go away, and you can't get out of your cell phone contract.

The game also assumes that there is an inverse relationship between rent and proximity to work That's probably not true, and is probably especially untrue for low-wage jobs.

Probably the game could be improved considerably if there were separate versions for urban, rural, and suburban living. The one-size-fits-all assumptions don't work.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The game tries to create an overall "typical" situation which totally misses the reality of so many people.

For example, the game insists that you can't totally get rid of your car, because "over 50% of Americans" do not have good public transportation. (Right off the bat it was a bad sign that rent/transportation cost is minimized approx 30 miles from work.)

Yes, you CAN bike to work - just move real close to your job - but the game STILL insists you can't get rid of your car.

The assumptions - $7K credit card debt, a $75/mo cell phone plan - sounded plausible for someone who previously had (but lost) a good job, but not realistic for someone who normally makes $300/week. After all, if you lose your job, your credit card debt doesn't go away, and you can't get out of your cell phone contract.

The game also assumes that there is an inverse relationship between rent and proximity to work That's probably not true, and is probably especially untrue for low-wage jobs.

Probably the game could be improved considerably if there were separate versions for urban, rural, and suburban living. The one-size-fits-all assumptions don't work.
obviously one sized fits all doesn't work, but for someone who is going to be a waiter/waitress, in the area i grew up in, it would be very difficult for someone to live 10-15-20 miles from work and bike to work due to hills, climate, etc. by the time one got to work, they may be a sweaty mess and be in no shape to wait tables. maybe you get there early and wash up and cool down though.

it seems as though the game is designed to capture what this organization most commonly deals with. i agree, $75/month for a phone is ridiculous, that could easily be cut down as long as one isn't under contract. and even if they are, it may be worth paying the termination fee, or negotiating something with the provider.

but in most places i've been, you do pay higher rent to be closer to even these lower wage jobs. not all the time, but that's just been my experience.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Just like real life, hard choices. But I made it.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I agree. I played the game "my way" and still came out ahead by several hundrend dollars. Also, no vegetarian option. It's a nice start, and I get their point....but more than ever I think we need to EDUCATE people. About how and where to live. How and where to get around. How and where to work. How and what to eat.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:47 PM

356 posts, read 833,877 times
I could never pass the temp job typing test. I type fast, but often have to go back and delete a letter here/there, idk if that's why or what....restaurant job was the worst for me; i made out much better working at the factory, close to work. Paid all bills, all was working great. Moved far away & restaurant....had to skip out on bills, had my rent raised right as i moved in, hit someone's car (don't worry, i just drove away), told my whiny kids they had to suck it up and keep the free lunches & thrift store shoes, and then at the end was told i qualified for food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living