Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I appreciate the great input from you good people. I have a number of clients/patients and their families who are very poor, some indigent, and they could certainly benefit from how to eat healthy on a dollar or less per serving. The only catch is we seem to have runs of people with diabetes (so no sugar) or heart Disease (so not salt/processed foods)
A Challenge yes, but worth it to save and enrich a life.
Hope your patients take whatever you try to teach them to heart: I taught an adult class on eating on a budget years ago. I doubt more than one of them followed through with what I was trying to get across or used the recipes. Maybe a few did but so many are so accustom to processed foods, fried foods and junk food they just won't take the time to eat healthy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
i would like to eat for less but i cannot eat the ramen and boxed mac and cheese crap. I gotta eat fresh fruits, veggies and meats. That's where it adds up.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:42 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
I just bought swiss chard, beans and onions to some make soup

This will probably feed me for two lunches cost is about $2.50 total or $1.25 per lunch

It turns out vegetables are really cheap

Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 PM

560 posts, read 599,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
great but some of what you are listing isn't even healthy. I want to eat well, cheaply and make sure most of what i eat is healthy.

my healthy meal and cheap; I buy chicken quarters for .49 lb.
buy produce only on sale or marked down;
we shop a lot at Aldi's or Sam's; yes, the chickens are a great buy and have lots of flavor, but 20 servings meals, don't think so. . Ramen noodle are awesome and fun, but not healthy in anyway, even when mixed with veggies: canned veggies and fruits are not particularly healthy either. But we all have our own ideas on how to eat and save.

for us: a chicken quarter is enough for 2 people: so that is roughly .50
small green salad, similar to what you are saying about .50
a potato for 2 of us: .20
depending on time of year a piece of fruit or green veggie: .50
total for 2 people $1.70 but we are not including the costs of seasonings and condiments and this is a once a week meal at the most. I love making split pea soup and it is super cheap, but not every night.
all in all, thanks for posting; it is interesting, fun and certainly a learning experience seeing how others cook frugally.
where on earth do you see any thing from him that is not healthy? I swear i tried to look at i didnt see anything! And I am very much into fitness where I count all my calories to the unit!

All he posted are normal foods, whole foods basically... EDIT: other than the Ramen noodles which i thought were just noodles. But take that away and there is nothing there... i think

Old 01-07-2017, 03:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
great but some of what you are listing isn't even healthy. I want to eat well, cheaply and make sure most of what i eat is healthy. ..
Healthy? is this thread about healthy?
What's Cook'n ? - Your frugal meals < $1per serving - "Frugal guide to eating on less" Cooking for your body / activity / environment / tastes is a far different subject.

Mine was only a benchmark across multiple tastes, as so many people say eating / cook'n is expensive. NOT TO BE CONSIDERED COMPREHENSIVE ADVICE, for the demanding health requirements of all!!!! YMMV

Not too expensive for us (Except when in NZ and Australia)

While I do struggle to find healthy tortillas, I eat far fewer as I age, and haven't eaten Ramen for 20+ years (except in NZ and Australia when I wanted to only spend $0.30 on a meal). i.e. FRUGAL meal choices, when those choices are VERY thin! The grocery co-ops had decent prices, but about 2x cost of USA bargain basement food resources.

While I shouldn't advocate the unhealthy choice of IKEA $0.99 hot small breakfast.... I had mine today.

Eggs, potatoes, Sausage <$1 (doesn't sound too healthy)

Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
i would like to eat for less but i cannot eat the ramen and boxed mac and cheese crap. I gotta eat fresh fruits, veggies and meats. That's where it adds up.
and you probably eat healthier. Foods like ramen noodles are fun and tasty, espeically it you add other things, but they certainly are not healthy in any way.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
where on earth do you see any thing from him that is not healthy? I swear i tried to look at i didnt see anything! And I am very much into fitness where I count all my calories to the unit!

All he posted are normal foods, whole foods basically... EDIT: other than the Ramen noodles which i thought were just noodles. But take that away and there is nothing there... i think
We all read something different: he talks about fruits and veggies and sounds, from the price, o
he is talking canned: canned is better than not eating them at all, but from a nutritional stand point still not healthy. Maybe it is just the degree in foods an nutrition showing. We have always tried to eat nothing but fresh produce, based on what is available, stay away from processed foods and eat a variety of meats and cheeses. Of course none of us follow a perfectly healthy diet 24/7; 365 or 66. Cheating is fun.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:22 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
microwave frittata:

5 eggs, .42 cents
couple of spoons of plain or Greek yogurt ( a staple in our home, we use it instead of sour cream) .25
Leftover veg or use frozen or fresh lurking in veggie drawer (negligible cost)
Shredded cheese or cubes. .50

Spray microwave bowl with cooking spray, line with your leftover veg. Shake some cheap parm over veg. Mix eggs, with the yogurt, add a spoon or two if milk, if desired, salt & pepper, & then pour batter over the veg. Then top with shredded cheese. Microwave for about 8 or 9 minutes. Check to see if set. If it is not set, then microwave for an additional minute.

I made this the other evening, I used leftover peas & some frozen spinach, that I had frozen in the summer ( those boxes of spinach are great for salads, but too much to eat before it goes off, so i freeze some) We both had some for supper & I also had it for breakfast yesterday & will get another meal tonight, as my dinner, along with some fresh tomatoes & left over beans.
So 4 servings for about a buck, it is also a great way to use up any veg left from previous meals, or those that are losing freshness.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
microwave frittata:

5 eggs, .42 cents
couple of spoons of plain or Greek yogurt ( a staple in our home, we use it instead of sour cream) .25
Leftover veg or use frozen or fresh lurking in veggie drawer (negligible cost)
Shredded cheese or cubes. .50

Spray microwave bowl with cooking spray, line with your leftover veg. Shake some cheap parm over veg. Mix eggs, with the yogurt, add a spoon or two if milk, if desired, salt & pepper, & then pour batter over the veg. Then top with shredded cheese. Microwave for about 8 or 9 minutes. Check to see if set. If it is not set, then microwave for an additional minute.

I made this the other evening, I used leftover peas & some frozen spinach, that I had frozen in the summer ( those boxes of spinach are great for salads, but too much to eat before it goes off, so i freeze some) We both had some for supper & I also had it for breakfast yesterday & will get another meal tonight, as my dinner, along with some fresh tomatoes & left over beans.
So 4 servings for about a buck, it is also a great way to use up any veg left from previous meals, or those that are losing freshness.
I never thought to freeze those boxes of spinach. You are right; we get them at Sam's, very healthy but at least 1/2 of the box goes bad.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Made a huge pot of large lima beans & ham and also a big pot of chili this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living