U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
" Save the oil, it lasts several batches."
When you are done with the oil, pour it in the fuel tank of your StealthRabbit to get you down the road another 50 miles or so...

"50 mpg since 1976, Where have you Been? No OPEC or Dinosaurs required"

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-14-2011 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,617,038 times
--I mix up a batch of homemade pancakes from scratch and freeze them. Easy to take them out when I want them. To make them healthier - I add in blueberries - either ones that we picked over the summer and frozen or I buy a bag at Trader Joe's for a couple of dollars. Not sure of the exact cost per serving but pretty cheap.

--Burritos. I buy 2 packs of 6 tortillas at Whole Foods for $1.29 each. I add in a can of black beans (69 cents), a cup of rice (pennies), chopped onion (pennies), 3 oz. of cream cheese (50 cents), 8 oz. shredded cheddar ($2.00), and some frozen spinach from TJ's (50 cents). The total is just over $6 and feeds my family of 5 with some left over. This can be made cheaper by making your own tortillas, using dried beans, and cutting down on cheddar cheese or not buying it pre-shredded. I got the recipe from all-recipes.com and altered it quite a bit for our taste. It's delicious! Delicious Black Bean Burritos Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 PM

43,408 posts, read 52,393,689 times
Dried lentils stewed with lemon juice, tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion...that is one cheap way to make a dish that will last several meals.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 AM

764 posts, read 1,414,014 times
Totinos pizza, they used to be a $1 but now they are a 1.25. One pizza is two servings so that is 62 cents a serving. I eat one for lunch, and two for dinner. $3.75 a day.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:48 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,545,942 times
I hoped we could revive this thread and share recipes. I know there is a crockpot recipe thread here in the frugal forum, but I don't own a crockpot and don't really want one. I might not manage the $1 per serving here but still wanted to share and hope others will share too, since sometimes we get tired of the tried and true recipes.

Chicken & black bean tacos
-- using black beans allows for much less chicken, still lots of protein and flavor. This recipe feeds four plus a kid in our house. There is usually a bit leftover, enough for a couple more tacos for someone's lunch the next day.

Cut (thawed) chicken breasts into small chunks (we use frozen boneless skinless, and usually pay $2.50 a pound for it). Sautee chicken in a skillet, sometimes we add red or white onion if we have it, if not it's ok. Plenty of garlic, a bit of cumin, salt and pepper. I like to squeeze some of the lime over it while it is cooking, then add more lime after it is done. After the chicken is cooked and slightly browned, stir in the cans of (drained and rinsed) black beans and warm all of it on low.

Use this as a primary taco filling (I think it is especially good with corn tortillas but flour would work) and top with diced tomato, diced avocado, and cilantro. Red onion is good here too. Add a bit of shredded cheese if your budget allows. I'm finding lately that I don't miss the cheese, sour cream, etc., on tacos if I am getting plenty of flavor otherwise.

Three chicken breasts -- $2.99
Two cans of black beans -- $2.00
Juice of Two Limes - $.20
Large tomato - $.50
Corn Tortillas (12) - ? less than $1
Avocado (1 large) $1
Cilantro (bunch) $.15 (it's about $.30 a bunch here and we'd use about half for this)

Even if you add another avocado (I LOVE avocado) it's still about $2 per serving with a bit left over.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Zot

468 posts, read 579,310 times
Quote:
Your frugal meals < $1per serving - "Frugal guide to eating on less" (sell, sale)
Rain water, Ramen (25 cents at the dollar store, 4 for $1), solar heated by my window in Ramen cup!

Dog loves it! I still need to figure out how to capture the gas.

My cats invented a method of catching and eating mice brains, but my wife prevents this savings! Rejecting totally free food!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

250 posts, read 277,336 times
follow these steps and you will never go hungry again:

hoe cake and ham

mix organic corn meal and egg in a bowl, add salt and a bit of water, mix until soft.
fry the mix in a pan with coconut oil, cook until firm and golden in the shape of a pancake.

serve with a knob of butter melted on top of the pancake and a slice of ham.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
Mujaddara is very simple and satisfying. Buy the ingredients in bulk for an incredibly cheap meal. We often top it with a little bit of Greek yogurt. Alternatively, a bit of Feta cheese and a splash of Balsamic is delicious.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,313,904 times
Beans, rice, veggies, and tortillas always make great cheap meals.

Even a bit of dark meat chicken can keep these meals under $1/serving. Leg quarters are often .49/per pound and average package is 3 lbs.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,257,202 times
Cheese $2.39 8 oz. brick
Carrots $.89 1 lb. bag
Lettuce $1.99 (head) romaine
Cabbage $.59 lb.
Fruit (apples 1.29 lb. / oranges 4 for 1.00 / bananas .69 lb. / Pineapple 2.49 ea.)
Pears $1.29 (lb.)
Milk $2.39/ gal
Eggs $1.99 / doz

that's what we're paying here, and that's the el cheapo grocery where you bag your own.

I have a nice big pork shoulder slow roasting in a low 275* oven for eight hours. The fat will render off and the meat will fall off of the bone. After it cools, i shred and pull the meat and store it in the fridge. It can and does freeze well.

Then I will make some BBQ sauce for pulled pork BBQ.

The pork was on sale at .99/lb. I remember just a few years ago they were .69/lb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or