Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,663,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've had things ring up wrong (underpriced and overpriced) but never by much either way. When things ring up overpriced I point it out. When they ring up underpriced obviously I don't.

When I am handed too much in change I always, always, always give it back. A clerk can always argue against prices scanning incorrectly and keep their job but they're screwed if their drawer doesn't balance.
I was overpaid in change back at the Storage Facility and immediately gave it back.
I had a change girl give me $ 20 in coin when she should have given me $ 10. I immediately gave it back.

To me this is important because you are right, their drawer will not balance at the end of the day. Plus it's the right thing to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I was overpaid in change back at the Storage Facility and immediately gave it back.
I had a change girl give me $ 20 in coin when she should have given me $ 10. I immediately gave it back.

To me this is important because you are right, their drawer will not balance at the end of the day. Plus it's the right thing to do
Agreed. People are human, they make mistakes, and I don't believe someone should lose their job when they hand me change for a $20 when I gave them a $10...and I know immediately that they've made that mistake...it's the golden rule. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that my greediness over $10 lousy bucks might have cost someone their job.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,663,195 times
[quote=BigDGeek;18217836]Agreed. People are human, they make mistakes, and I don't believe someone should lose their job when they hand me change for a $20 when I gave them a $10...and I know immediately that they've made that mistake...it's the golden rule. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that my greediness over $10 lousy bucks might have cost someone their job.[/quote]

Beautifully Spoken !

Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,601,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
No. The checker said it was a misprint and they would honor it that day.

The next day while in the store ( shopping for other items) I asked if they would still honor the ad and they said no. I did not have the items in the cart on the second day. I asked first if they were still honoring the ad.

Sales flyers have misprints. Most stores will honor the misprints at least for a time. Consumers could complain about an ad that did not honor what it said. That is up to the discretion of the store what do about the misprint.
Yeah, OK.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:47 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,300,689 times
What I don't understand is the attitude of cashiers when you get a "deal". they act like you're taking the money out of their pocket, when hey, they just work there!

The only time I could understand the cashier being upset is because they time them, usually its transactions/hour, and going over a mistake, etc, takes their time. But come on, the customer is not an interference with their job, they are their job!

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM

54 posts, read 138,082 times
This Christmas the local drugstore started carrying PS3's for the first time (getting into new markets) they give away "points" on purchases and on certain days they have "points events" this particular time was a 20 x points event which equals on a PS3 move bundle about $125.00 worth of future free shopping at this store. When I went in they didn't have the item in stock so I got a rain cheque from the manager for the points. When the PS3's came in later that week I said I want the PS3 AND a "move bundle" they brought me 2 boxes identical in size one was labeled PS3 move bundle and the other PS3. I paid my money and because it was too difficult for the cashier to issue the 20x points on a non-promo day she issued me a gift-certificate for the value I was due $145.00 (I already had a bunch of points and the more you have the more they are worth.).

Come Christmas morning and my younger son is opening his gifts I don't know which is the move bundle and which is the PS3. I let him open one box first and it is the move bundle, my older son says "what's in the other box?", I said "the PS3" he informs me that the move bundle is a PS3 packaged with the move equipment. I was given 2 PS3's because they didn't know what they were selling me and I didn't have a clue what I was buying! My older son sold the second PS3 for $200.00.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:00 AM

741 posts, read 1,282,405 times
I stocked up my cart full of Campbell's Healthy Request soup during a sale, probabably purchased 30 cans (we are big soup eaters), the store flier I had in my hand clearly stated "Campbell's Healthy Request Soups $1!". Of course I was expecting a $30 bill, but it came out to $45. Curious, I had to speak to the manager, who informed me "Oh yea, but in the add we just meant the Clam Chowder flavor". UMMMM, there was no picture or restrictions mentioned!!!!!!!! So after much grumbling on his part I finally got my $15 back. Hopefully they learned a lesson.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times
I was at Chicago O'Hare Airport a few years ago at a McDonald's. The women at the counter COULD NOT make change for a $10. She screwed it up THREE times. I tried to tell her what to give me but she was getting really rude to me. So finally, I accepted what she gave me. I had breakfast and received over $12 in change.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
I went to Target the other day and it was busy and the cashier was in a hurry. So was I because the person behind me kept sighing loudly and tapping their foot and it made me flustered.

When I got out to the car I found 2 3-packs of chewing gum at the bottom of the cart that I was not charged for. I debated going back in and paying for them but in the end shrugged and tossed them in with the rest of my shopping. I figured 'retail karma' would get me back for it. It did the next day. I went to Ikea and bought an enormous mirror, then smartly walked over to their home delivery section...only to be told that they don't deliver mirrors. So I had to return it. But I figure retail karma isn't done with me yet.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 PM

746 posts, read 3,490,122 times
Every so often the balance of mistakes evens itself out, though my supermarket has been getting a lot better on matching the prices to the sales. That's because they give the item free if they make a mistake. But I still get home and find they charged me the wrong price now and then.

One day I was looking at the day old baked goods and found half a dozen boxes of danish, muffins, etc. priced at .02 cents each so I grabbed them all. The cashier just swiped the bar codes and they rang up at that price.

Those are the kind of sales prices that really move goods. They should doit more often, there are always baked goods piled high in that store.

Meantime I learned that those gorgeous tomatoes are molding on the side facing away from the wrap.

What goes around, comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living