Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I am very leery of buying second hand shoes from a Goodwill Store . There might be athletes foot or some strange odors inside the used shoes that you don't know about....

To me its worth pay $ 5-10 at Walmart. Or $ 10-15 at Ross .
Now so am I. However, I have a history of eczema and also have it on my right hand (for a very long time) and as a kid it was horrible, so may have nothing to do with the shoes at all.

I have two little precious Shih Tzus who, when they were puppies, must have gone through 15 or 20 pair of shoes. So it wasn't that much of an ouch as they'd been purchased at Goodwill, even though I really did like some of them. At almost three years old now, they are not as bad in the chewing my shoes dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:09 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Now so am I. However, I have a history of eczema and also have it on my right hand (for a very long time) and as a kid it was horrible, so may have nothing to do with the shoes at all.

I have two little precious Shih Tzus who, when they were puppies, must have gone through 15 or 20 pair of shoes. So it wasn't that much of an ouch as they'd been purchased at Goodwill, even though I really did like some of them. At almost three years old now, they are not as bad in the chewing my shoes dept.
If I did buy a pair of shoes at the Goodwill, I would buy a pair that still had a tag on it. As in, just brand new ! They do have clothes at the Goodwill with tags still on them.

ANOTHER big FEAR is BED BUGS now ! I am very leery of any couches or sofas and some bedding and clothes. Scarey and Pesky to get rid of !

Old 03-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If I did buy a pair of shoes at the Goodwill, I would buy a pair that still had a tag on it. As in, just brand new ! They do have clothes at the Goodwill with tags still on them.

ANOTHER big FEAR is BED BUGS now ! I am very leery of any couches or sofas and some bedding and clothes. Scarey and Pesky to get rid of !
Yes, that is true, but there are bigger things to fear out there and I still drive a car. I guess I think it's worth the risk as long as I wash the clothes. Plus, I put them in the dryer and that kills them (the heat, I would think). Don't know if I mentioned this, but per my Dr. what some people are doing who have bed bugs is bringing in this heater that heats the house up to 150 degrees. I guess you leave in on for four hours in your house and it kills all the bugs.

BTW, regarding only buying shoes with tags - even at stores where all the shoes are new you'll still have people trying them on so they could be contaminated that way too. I know I'm dating myself here, but I still remember shoe stores where you went in and asked to try on a pair of shoes and they'd go to the back and grab a few boxes and actually put them on your feet for you. Sort of like the Al Bundy thing. Wow, I am old!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is true, but there are bigger things to fear out there and I still drive a car. I guess I think it's worth the risk as long as I wash the clothes. Plus, I put them in the dryer and that kills them (the heat, I would think). Don't know if I mentioned this, but per my Dr. what some people are doing who have bed bugs is bringing in this heater that heats the house up to 150 degrees. I guess you leave in on for four hours in your house and it kills all the bugs.

BTW, regarding only buying shoes with tags - even at stores where all the shoes are new you'll still have people trying them on so they could be contaminated that way too. I know I'm dating myself here, but I still remember shoe stores where you went in and asked to try on a pair of shoes and they'd go to the back and grab a few boxes and actually put them on your feet for you. Sort of like the Al Bundy thing. Wow, I am old!
You are right. Someone could, with sweaty funny smelling feet...and Athletes Food to boot... try on all the shoes in Walmart/Ross ! lol...but true....

And washing the items should kill the bed bugs ...

Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
I am very leery of buying second hand shoes from a Goodwill Store . There might be athletes foot or some strange odors inside the used shoes that you don't know about....

To me its worth pay $ 5-10 at Walmart. Or $ 10-15 at Ross .
I suspect I picked up a foot fungus several years ago from buying shoes at the Salvation Army thrift store. It cost a lot of money and effort to get rid of it and it broke me from buying preworn shoes. I even worry about trying them on at the store....otherwise, I love a good bargain. I have become a hoarder, I suspect.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I suspect I picked up a foot fungus several years ago from buying shoes at the Salvation Army thrift store. It cost a lot of money and effort to get rid of it and it broke me from buying preworn shoes. I even worry about trying them on at the store....otherwise, I love a good bargain. I have become a hoarder, I suspect.
I remember (rule of thumb when younger) was to always bring a pair of nylon knee highs when trying on shoes. I highly doubt anyone ever does that anymore nor do I know that it would ever prevent anything from being transmitted. But I do think back in the day it was highly frowned upon to try on shoes with your bare feet.

Why do you suspect you have become a hoarder, if I may ask, and what do you hoard if it's not too personal?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
I'm willing to spend the $30 (or whatever) on a brand new pair of shoes. Stores like Marshalls tend to have good discounts on shoes and shirts.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm willing to spend the $30 (or whatever) on a brand new pair of shoes. Stores like Marshalls tend to have good discounts on shoes and shirts.
Ok, but you may still be getting foot germs.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Ok, but you may still be getting foot germs.
I try to always wear thin socks when I go try on shoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living