U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM

6,720 posts, read 11,205,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
That is awesome.

How about if someone tells you that you aren't taking the money with you when you are dead? How do you respond.

I have been told this before.
Savings = How long you can live/enjoy life without having to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM

22,790 posts, read 28,659,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
eh. i don't know that being a democrat needs to mean being anti-sports cars. i did just look up the city/highway though and realize...i wouldn't enjoy driving that regularly. lol. the new mustang GT gets much better mileage, but it's less useful. oh well. someday, i'll have my fun car. it won't be a daily driver though. and yes, it will be more than needed. but if i went through life buying only what i needed, i'd have a gigantic savings account already and i'm not even 30.
one thing that keeps me in a less expensive car is parking in brooklyn. i have had my car smashed into while it was parked and i had some guy key the crap out of my front hood (not a good idea on his part).

i feel bad that my uncle couldnt enjoy his car, he was so excited about it at first. im sure he secretly had fun with it, even though my aunt wasnt happy about it.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM

12,542 posts, read 17,771,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
one thing that keeps me in a less expensive car is parking in brooklyn. i have had my car smashed into while it was parked and i had some guy key the crap out of my front hood (not a good idea on his part).

i feel bad that my uncle couldnt enjoy his car, he was so excited about it at first. im sure he secretly had fun with it, even though my aunt wasnt happy about it.
i'd drive a cheap car if i had to do street parking in brooklyn. we didn't street park in hoboken because my wife runs odd hours at work, and she'd never find parking when she got home. paying that monthly cost killed me, but it had to be done for personal sanity reasons.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
i could buy my 7 week old son polo outfits for $35 a piece. they'll look very cute on him. they'll also fit for a month, maybe 3 if i'm lucky. i could afford it. i could also even sell many of them "gently used". but...i resist the temptation.
how would you go about selling baby clothes? i talked to my wife about the credit card expense recently and it seems baby stuff has grown to be more than what she is spending on herself. we could hold onto it for a future child or to give to family/friends. i wouldnt mind cashing in, if its convenient enough.

we enjoyed some nice weather yesterday and took some pictures. i definitely feel like i won the lottery with this baby.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
how would you go about selling baby clothes? i talked to my wife about the credit card expense recently and it seems baby stuff has grown to be more than what she is spending on herself. we could hold onto it for a future child or to give to family/friends. i wouldnt mind cashing in, if its convenient enough.

we enjoyed some nice weather yesterday and took some pictures. i definitely feel like i won the lottery with this baby.
very cute! i don't know how to upload pictures to a post. is it easy? is it just the "attachments" button?

as for selling...craigslist is one way. i also subscribe to the hoboken moms yahoo group. lots of buying/selling/trading on there. then there's always consignment shops. one in hoboken, andone in south orange, that i know of.

i bought a snap and go stroller for $10 to have in one car because we forgot to switch the stroller from 1 car to the other. when we're done with it, i should be able to get $10 for it easily.

i took a ton of pictures yesterday. i'll see about uploading some tonight. maybe to a photo album and i can add you guys as contacts so you can view them.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
very cute! i don't know how to upload pictures to a post. is it easy? is it just the "attachments" button?

as for selling...craigslist is one way. i also subscribe to the hoboken moms yahoo group. lots of buying/selling/trading on there. then there's always consignment shops. one in hoboken, andone in south orange, that i know of.

i bought a snap and go stroller for $10 to have in one car because we forgot to switch the stroller from 1 car to the other. when we're done with it, i should be able to get $10 for it easily.

i took a ton of pictures yesterday. i'll see about uploading some tonight. maybe to a photo album and i can add you guys as contacts so you can view them.
thanks. i put it on my desktop then i go to tinypic.com and load it there. you can copy and paste a url for putting it in a forum post.

i dont know any shops like that around here, but ill take a look. id hate for the stuff to completely go to waste. even better if i can reduce my cost by selling it.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
thanks. i put it on my desktop then i go to tinypic.com and load it there. you can copy and paste a url for putting it in a forum post.

i dont know any shops like that around here, but ill take a look. id hate for the stuff to completely go to waste. even better if i can reduce my cost by selling it.
if you simply want to see it not go to waste, joing your local freecycle.org yahoo group. but i'd prefer to recoup some costs where i can.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
if you simply want to see it not go to waste, joing your local freecycle.org yahoo group. but i'd prefer to recoup some costs where i can.
id definitely like to get some money back. these lelli kelly shoes are pricey. i know my wife thinks she is getting great deals because she isnt paying the price at nordsroms, but i think she is paying 30 bucks or so for these shows. she sticks in insoles to make them last longer, but still im not thrilled. besides, between my mom, dad and other gift givers i dont think we need to buy nearly as much as we do. having a boy is probably saving you some money.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
id definitely like to get some money back. these lelli kelly shoes are pricey. i know my wife thinks she is getting great deals because she isnt paying the price at nordsroms, but i think she is paying 30 bucks or so for these shows. she sticks in insoles to make them last longer, but still im not thrilled. besides, between my mom, dad and other gift givers i dont think we need to buy nearly as much as we do. having a boy is probably saving you some money.
oh yeah. less accessories for boy. yankee hat and some other stuff, but nothing major. lol. i keep claiming i'm not going to buy any of those $30+ shoes. but i must admit, the miniature pumas look hilarious.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,524,262 times
Right, they want to you to keep up with the Jones like them.

There is a difference between being rich and feeling rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It really depends -- most often I respond by saying "Well, I love you, too." or something else like "And you don't get any inheritance so stop planning. "

I have friends like that -- she used to be more frugal, but he was such a spender that he didn't even get angry when he discovered she had a secret bank account... he just started spending more and nagging her to cash it in. And in the end -- she did.

In turn, she felt why bother, and I'll show him, I'll keep up. He gets a tat, she gets a tat, he buys some clothes, she buys clothes -- and at times she can now outspend him. and they owe everyone they know lots of money to keep the lights and water on.

But the thing you have to remember -- you being frugal makes them feel uncomfortable. I figured this out ages ago.

They want you to spend spend spend like they do, to validate their lifestyle. Because underneath, they feel they aren't worthy of it.

There are a lot of people out there who are living just as large as they are, and are NOT in hock up to their eyeballs. They are finding a way to make it work. And those people won't look at you badly for living differently -- it's the people that need you to validate them that are looking at you badly.... because you make them feel bad.

Keep making them feel bad. Because you win that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living