U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:53 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,147,714 times

Advertisements

Mainers are known for being thrifty, so it comes like breathing to me.. Have you read "The Tightwad Gazzete"? (I think there are actually 3 editions now..). Also there is a website- The Hillbilly Housewife, that I find amusing/informative.

I buy a lot of stuff from thrift stores and yard sales. When my son was younger, there was a certain yard sale every year that I hit because the woman's son was about a year older than mine, and SHE liked to spend a lot of money on his clothes.. I usually ended up with $1000 worth of clothes for less than $20. How can you go wrong with that? (And they were all very clean and softened a little, very nice). We have a "take it or leave it" building at our local transfer station (aka town dump), and I think nothing of taking a peak for any free goodies- I never know what I might find- lol.. I did come home with a large, high-end cherry wood dining table from there once, as well as several large yard toys for my son (those rise-in cars, a pool, a playhouse..) so it's not quite all trash!

(Jeeez. Maybe I'm cheaper than you!..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 07:33 AM

25,573 posts, read 23,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
When we buy potato salad, seafood salad or ? from the Deli at our grocery store and eat whatever came in it, we most always wash the containers and keep them for other food storages. After using sandwich bags, we wash them and reuse them again. After the second time we use them, we throw them away. We use all of our plastic grocery bags in trash containers. We get every bit of mayo out of the jar with a spahula. We keep a number of the small water bottles we get and put orange or grape juice in them when we travel on a vacation.
At least 85% of the time, we both take our lunch to work.

Ditto, on the ziplock bags!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Not thrifty so much as I hate waste!

Reuse teabags (don't like strong tea!).

Wash out used Ziploc bags, unless they've had meat in them.

Turn lotion bottles upside down toward the end, so that the product all flows to the top and is easily used.

When the shampoo/dish detergent/laundry detergent bottle gets low, I mix the remains with water, which is usually enough to do the job. You'd be surprised how many dishes you can wash from the congealed crud around the tip of the dish detergent bottle! Just hold the lid over the dishpan. Voila!

Water my garden with dishwater (old habit developed during a drought summer).

Reuse cottage cheese/large yogurt containers as collectors for produce refuse to go into the compost bin.

Old pantyhose are great as a lint trap on the washing machine's discharge tube; they're also good for staking tomatoes and other plants.

Holey underwear make great dustcloths, and I cut them to fit right onto the end of the Swiffer.

Plastic grocery bags (when I get them; I usually bring my own) are great for cleaning out the cat's litter boxes, and to line the trash can.

Empty toilet paper rolls make great cat toys!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,564,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not thrifty so much as I hate waste!

Reuse teabags (don't like strong tea!).

Wash out used Ziploc bags, unless they've had meat in them.

Turn lotion bottles upside down toward the end, so that the product all flows to the top and is easily used.

When the shampoo/dish detergent/laundry detergent bottle gets low, I mix the remains with water, which is usually enough to do the job. You'd be surprised how many dishes you can wash from the congealed crud around the tip of the dish detergent bottle! Just hold the lid over the dishpan. Voila!

Water my garden with dishwater (old habit developed during a drought summer).

Reuse cottage cheese/large yogurt containers as collectors for produce refuse to go into the compost bin.

Old pantyhose are great as a lint trap on the washing machine's discharge tube; they're also good for staking tomatoes and other plants.

Holey underwear make great dustcloths, and I cut them to fit right onto the end of the Swiffer.

Plastic grocery bags (when I get them; I usually bring my own) are great for cleaning out the cat's litter boxes, and to line the trash can.

Empty toilet paper rolls make great cat toys!
I really can't think of much more to add...except that I use left over, stale bread to make my own bread crumbs.
And by a whole piece of meat (like a whole bottom round, whole fresh ham) to cut my own roasts, cutlets, steaks, ground meat...etc. , in order to freeze it, stock up on it. (On Sale!)
It's so much cheaper that way.
And, the empty toilet rolls also make great DOG toys as well...lol. (Judging by the shreds laying here..... )

Last edited by MB2; 08-02-2007 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM

51,058 posts, read 29,141,449 times
I consider myself thrifty and there's nothing wrong with that. If I go to a grocery store and find two brands of milk, one that's on sale for $2.50 and another is going for $3.00 a gallon, I'll pick up the one on sale.

I also toss extra coins I have in my pocket into a plastic container and 3-4 months later, I take them to one of those coin machines at the grocery store that sorts them out for you, and I end up with 40-50 bucks.

Every nickel you save, they can add up to a lot of money later.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,575,319 times
HA! And my son thinks I'm ridiculous.

I wash and re-use ziploc bags. I'll add water to detergent and shampoo. I use the plastic grocery bags for cat litter and the garbage. I do squeeze every drop out of the toothpaste even if I start in the middle.
I wash everything in cold water and I'll hang sheets, comforters and dog bedding to dry outside when it's nice and sunny (so these things get washed when it's nice and sunny!).
I save all my change for that one day.
I take my lunch to work 99.9% of the time.
I like my tap water.
My car is 4 cyl, 7 yrs. old. and it's paid up.
I'm sure there are a few other ways I try to save BUT, I overspend on food because since I really can't cook, I end up with a lot of ready made microwaveable or stick in the oven food.
I also can't sew but I put off clothes shopping as much as possible and then I'll hit Marshall's or TJ Maxx or Walmart! I have just a couple of "special" business outfits and you can tell they're good.
I try to donate anything I don't want so I can take the tax deduction.

AND, I spend wayyyyyyyyy too much on pet food and vet bills! :-)) so I HAVE to save for them!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,564,608 times
Wink Huh...yours too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
HA! And my son thinks I'm ridiculous.....................

AND, I spend wayyyyyyyyy too much on pet food and vet bills! :-)) so I HAVE to save for them!
My son thinks the same, and just shakes his head....just doesn't know or "get it", when I yelled at him to turn off the TV or lights when he WASN'T in that room.

Yup...same here with vet and pet foods....LOL.
We are running around in rags, shredded...but our babies strut their stuff and looking like coming straight of the run way....ROTFL!!!!
VP.......Glad to hear that our life "expectancies" are pretty much on the same page...ROTFL.

Last edited by MB2; 08-02-2007 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
My son thinks the same, and just shakes his head....just doesn't know or "get it", when I yelled at him to turn off the TV or lights when he WASN'T in that room.
Shoot ... Until now, The Fiance has lived his entire life in homes where someone else paid the utility bills. I'm always nagging him to turn this off, turn that down, etc.

The other day he went to turn the living room lamp on, and I said why don't you open the curtains. He replied that he didn't want to let reality in the room; my answer was "Reality comes in the room when I open the electric bill."

He opened the curtains.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,169,055 times
I'm kind of thrifty when it comes to clothes. Sometimes I'll go clothes shopping at thrift stores. Some in there are quite new and never have been worn (I have a few of those). If I'm just looking for some jogging shorts and shirts to workout in, then I go to the thrift store. Also when just looking for a house dress to lounge around the house in, I buy one there. But that's the only time when I'm thrifty.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:53 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,410,367 times
We have a gas/convenience store here that has a loyalty program every time you make a purchase you scan your card. The rewards are for products though I have been told they sometimes give gas cards.
the rewards go from
level 1 free bottle of water, any size coffee, 20 soda, large can of arziona iced tead(this is new)
level 2 loaf of bread,32 oz gatorade, chips
level 3 gal of milk, 12 pack of soda car wash.
Since I have to buy gas and some things somewhere by going there
I end up with lots of freebees.
once I had so many coupons for level 1 I was handing them out in the store.
Want to make someones day hand them a free soda or water on a hot day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living