Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,049 times

Advertisements

I like Aldi's a lot. The one by me is old and not pretty looking and the shelves are always bare. When I go, I go by my mother. It's a newer one and I like it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I shop at a new ALDI and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this store! Everything I have purchased there has been GREAT quality, as good as or even better than the "name brands" and all super cheap! There are even some organic items there, probably same as TJ's but cheaper. We don't have TJ in Florida but I don't miss it, between ALDI and Super Target and farmer's market I have my shopping covered!

I do love the dollar chains -for some basics they just can't be beat, and they have a little of everything, even beer and wine!!

Old 05-29-2011, 05:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Some folks think the greeting cards are good 'n cheap.
at dollar tree they are two for a dollar. It's a good deal. Used to get their toilet paper too, but now Wal mart has the same deal for .97 cents and paper towel are 3/$1.67 which is cheaper and 1/$1.00. I'll be doing my shopping at Wal Mart except for greeting cards from now on.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 AM

13 posts, read 65,827 times
Good find.
I sometimes buy from the dollar store and then sell the items at markets and / or to friends and family.
I make decent money on the side doing this.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
And the guy in front of me had 5 bottles of that all-purpose cleaner they sell for $1. I asked him if it was any good and he said he tried everything from Simple Green to 409 you name it. He said this stuff was like Simple Green on steriods. He said he uses it to clean coffee makers and the stains melt away as he sprays it on. For a buck is that frugal or what? I personally like Sun laundry soap for $2.95 a big bottle.
Sounds like other posters have tried it and swear by it.

But I have purchased other cleaning supplies that are absolute crapola. The 1$ boxes of laundry soap are too small but I've bought a few in an urgency.

Some things are fine from the Dollar Stores, though.

My house has next to nothing for linoleum, so I buy the cheapo sponge mops to tide me over until it falls apart. And the other day I wanted a small cheapo "bucket" for cleaning, so that's where I got one.

Micro-fiber cleaning cloths are just as good as the ones in other stores.

Shampoo carries the cheap Suave and VO-5, which is what I usually opt for.

Frozen entrees are hard to find for $1 at grocery stores anymore, and a buck for the occasional 3-liter of soft-drink is a bargain. And I sure love paying only $1 for Fiddle-Faddle, although I suspect that the box holds less.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 06-02-2011 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living