Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times

Advertisements

And the guy in front of me had 5 bottles of that all-purpose cleaner they sell for $1. I asked him if it was any good and he said he tried everything from Simple Green to 409 you name it. He said this stuff was like Simple Green on steriods. He said he uses it to clean coffee makers and the stains melt away as he sprays it on. For a buck is that frugal or what? I personally like Sun laundry soap for $2.95 a big bottle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
You're right, about cleaning supplies. A lot of people who clean houses for a living stock up on all their stuff there, because of the low price and good quality.

But don't depend on them for anything else, most stuff there is real crap, and if it has moving parts, it probably won't work at all.

I presume you're talking about either Family Dollar or Dollar General. The other chains that have 'dollar' in their name, where every price is a dollar, nothing is worth a dollar and a lot of things there can be bought for less than a dollar at WalMart.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Dollar Tree.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're right, about cleaning supplies. A lot of people who clean houses for a living stock up on all their stuff there, because of the low price and good quality.

But don't depend on them for anything else, most stuff there is real crap, and if it has moving parts, it probably won't work at all.

I presume you're talking about either Family Dollar or Dollar General. The other chains that have 'dollar' in their name, where every price is a dollar, nothing is worth a dollar and a lot of things there can be bought for less than a dollar at WalMart.
That's not true everywhere. In Las Vegas, we have the 99c Only Store and it's wonderful. Always my first stop for groceries/supplies. I buy all my paper and cleaning products there. What they have changes from day to day and truck days are Mon, Wed, and Fri. Those are the best days to shop.

I get most of my produce there. They usually have everything for a great salad. Lots of other veggies I use too. They even have meat. Usually I get breakfast sausages, bologna, hot dogs, pepperoni, hard salami, and liverwurst. They have eggs, butter, and almost any kind of bread you could want.

The supply of canned goods, pasta, rice, and beans is extensive. Some of it is brands you've never heard of but for 99c you can afford to give it a try. Most of it has been surprisingly good. Some of the brands are the big name.

There's always a surprise. Last week it was those rounds of dried figs. The ones that cost $4 at the grocery store. Sometimes they do try to fool you with smaller packages or lower weight items but if you know your groceries and prices, you can make out like a bandit.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
My mall has a dollar store (not Dollar Tree or any others listed). I buy all my gift bags there - they have a HUGE selection of all sizes.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM

61,709 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I get most of my produce there. They usually have everything for a great salad. Lots of other veggies I use too. They even have meat. Usually I get breakfast sausages, bologna, hot dogs, pepperoni, hard salami, and liverwurst. They have eggs, butter, and almost any kind of bread you could want.

The supply of canned goods, pasta, rice, and beans is extensive. Some of it is brands you've never heard of but for 99c you can afford to give it a try. Most of it has been surprisingly good. Some of the brands are the big name.

There's always a surprise. Last week it was those rounds of dried figs. The ones that cost $4 at the grocery store. Sometimes they do try to fool you with smaller packages or lower weight items but if you know your groceries and prices, you can make out like a bandit.
I could not imagine any quality in food for 99cents, sorry. However thrifty, I have more respect for my stomach.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Eye Glasses.

Lots of eye glasses .... (reading)

Tortillas, lots of tortillas.
Frozen veggies for winter stir-fry

Gift Cards and balloons,
Stationary supplies.

Sun Screen (when on vacation (Valley of Fire near LV, a great place to camp)),

There is seldom a need for sunscreen at home ... we_t-side of Pacific Cascade Range ~100" of drizzle / yr (that makes about 285 days worth of gray)

Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i didnt think dollar stores had food except for candy.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:07 PM

61,709 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Not every 99 cent deal is a bargain.
Think about it for a second. If you can get Pathmark Chunk Light tuna for 69 cents, why the hell would you want to buy "Tuna from the Sea" for a buck? Same goes with pasta; Barilla, some of the best dried pasta out there, often goes on sale at your local supermarket for a dollar. If you're buying "Bob's Vermicelli" at the dollar store for a full dollar, you're getting ripped off big time.
I would not buy meat whose origin, both with regards to location on the planet and on the animal itself, is questionable.

Shopping Advice: Dollar-Store Rip Offs...and REAL Deals

Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Some folks think the greeting cards are good 'n cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living