U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 8,202,025 times

Advertisements

Iím looking at posts here, and things which are expected. (Lifestyle wise)

My situation: Iíve Ďupgradedí quite a bit in my standard of living in the last year. Iíve gone from roommates, to living in a 1 bedroom, to now living in a 2 bedroom with a washer/dryer.

And honestly, until I buy a house to own property, this is good for me.

Iíve gone from watching movies on my computer, to watching Netflicks on a 40 inch flat screen.

I drive a $1,625 vehicle, (Although itís worth quite a bit more, thatís what I have in it)
Had a total of ~$4K in my last one, which I sold years later for $2K.

-My bikes are an extra, but they at minimum more than pay for their insurance, and upkeep. (In gas savings to say nothing of fun) Not sure about purchase price, but the savings reduces it atleast.

The good thing, I am very content in my current standard of living.

Did my academic review today. (Nontraditional student)
Iíll be graduating in December, already a couple classes into my Masters.

Anytime after that (Or a year-1.5 later when my Masters is doneÖ not sure how itíll play out) I will be making a lot more. Donít have any need for a different standard of living.
Donít care about a nicer car (This one is pretty nice) as I prefer 2 wheels.

So, I thought it would be interesting to break down costs and standard of living and, looking at recent posts seeing what others was:

Rent, Renters insurance, Liability insurance, Power/water, car and Motorcycle insurance, Internet and Netflicks:

(Basically my monthly bills, not food, gas or things which come Ďout of pocketí)
-Based on a 30 day month:

Rent is $19 per day (Rounding up)
All of that combined is $28

So, thatís not counting clothes, car repairs, food, entertainment etc.

But (Most of those) I can control. And itís all over the place. Yesterday I spent $40 eating, today I spent $2.

SO I thought it was interesting what others perspective was:

I am content with my standard of living, and it costs $28 per day, not counting consumables.

Whatís yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,129,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Iím looking at posts here, and things which are expected. (Lifestyle wise)

My situation: Iíve Ďupgradedí quite a bit in my standard of living in the last year. Iíve gone from roommates, to living in a 1 bedroom, to now living in a 2 bedroom with a washer/dryer.

And honestly, until I buy a house to own property, this is good for me.

Iíve gone from watching movies on my computer, to watching Netflicks on a 40 inch flat screen.

I drive a $1,625 vehicle, (Although itís worth quite a bit more, thatís what I have in it)
Had a total of ~$4K in my last one, which I sold years later for $2K.

-My bikes are an extra, but they at minimum more than pay for their insurance, and upkeep. (In gas savings to say nothing of fun) Not sure about purchase price, but the savings reduces it atleast.

The good thing, I am very content in my current standard of living.

Did my academic review today. (Nontraditional student)
Iíll be graduating in December, already a couple classes into my Masters.

Anytime after that (Or a year-1.5 later when my Masters is doneÖ not sure how itíll play out) I will be making a lot more. Donít have any need for a different standard of living.
Donít care about a nicer car (This one is pretty nice) as I prefer 2 wheels.

So, I thought it would be interesting to break down costs and standard of living and, looking at recent posts seeing what others was:

Rent, Renters insurance, Liability insurance, Power/water, car and Motorcycle insurance, Internet and Netflicks:

(Basically my monthly bills, not food, gas or things which come Ďout of pocketí)
-Based on a 30 day month:

Rent is $19 per day (Rounding up)
All of that combined is $28

So, thatís not counting clothes, car repairs, food, entertainment etc.

But (Most of those) I can control. And itís all over the place. Yesterday I spent $40 eating, today I spent $2.

SO I thought it was interesting what others perspective was:

I am content with my standard of living, and it costs $28 per day, not counting consumables.

Whatís yours?
I pay roughly 32.00/day for everything. Mortgage, insurance, utilities, any extras of any kind. I also manage to save up to 150/month, sometimes less, which is good because every 3 or 4 months some kind of emergency pops up.

That doesn't include a car, etc, since I can't drive. If I could, it would be one I could pay cash for, and the insurance would be packaged with my homeowner's insurance, so it wouldn't amount to much more.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 PM

I didn't count my automatic savings or 'consumables'... ether...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 PM

5,547 posts, read 8,319,313 times
I pretty much pretend like I'm broke and except for a couple of vices (which I spend the least I can on), that is how I live.

I don't track things, as the bills are non stop. I am not living in a cheap house. Car is paid for, house is paid for. Don't want for much except when things in my house go out. Entertainment is zilch. Basically, I find that pretending I am a pauper (which I just might be someday) works for me. At least I'll be ready for it.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:58 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
I pay $580 a month for rent of a one-bedroom apartment in a well-managed and safe complex. Includes water.

All electric (kitchen, heat, AC), and averages $65 a month year round for electric.

I cook all my meals from scratch, and most months, my food bill is less than $100.

Cable and internet and phone is $150 if you include HBO in winter and MLB.com on line in summer. No cellphone.

No car, and I take the bus where I can't walk, which is rarely.

About $900 a month, or $30 a day.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,912 posts, read 37,645,048 times
I pay $33 / day for property taxes on a joint I built myself for under $100k (taxes WERE $2/ day when I completed it about 12 yrs ago).

$33/ day for medical insurance.

No cable or netflix,
$3/day in food

use free fryer grease for fuel
50 mpg since 1976 in my StealthRabbit

Thus 'the man' is getting most of my expenses (fixed). (I eat pretty well on $3/day)

I will be looking real serious at this
places-retire-under-500-month-usnews: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

While I didn't care for much of France while living and working there,... This was a nice spot Languedoc-Roussillon, France. Rural France and Italy can be a great place to 'lay-back', and 'sip' the fresh air.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 AM

8,095 posts, read 12,781,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

To try and match your list ... Mortgage, house insurance, property taxes, all utilities (Power/water/gas/trash/phone/internet/satellite), truck insurance. Right around $40 a day.

I'm with mistygrl092 on one point though ... I pretty much pretend I'm like I'm broke. Any remaining dollars gets thrown at paying off the house, and into savings and investments.

The house will be paid off before the end of this year or very early next year (YIPPEE! ), then it'll drop to $17 a day.

I'm in SoCal. Wouldn't location have something to do with all these comparisons?

Last edited by Gandalara; 04-16-2011 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Tried to clarify

Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
]

While I didn't care for much of France while living and working there,... This was a nice spot Languedoc-Roussillon, France. Rural France and Italy can be a great place to 'lay-back', and 'sip' the fresh air.

Something got lost in the translation of the link. It's called "places-retire-under-500-month", but then it says, for Languedoc-Roussillon, the place in France,

"A monthly rental of 400 to 600 euro [USD 570-850] is realistic." For rent ONLY, not counting any other living expenses.

I would maybe even go out on a limb and say that there is no place in the world where a person can live in a private house or apartment constructed of solid building materials with glass windows and running water and electricity and furnished with basic household amenities and eat three meals a day that provide minimum balanced nutrition, and allow for other minimum expenses such as transportation and basic health care and clothing for $500 a month. I lived for less than that in a couple of places (Paraguay and Indonesia), but in housing that would come nowhere near the minimum standards that an American retiree would consider acceptable. It would be doable for $1000 a month, probably even for two people together, but not $500. But, it could be done in the USA, also, for $1000 a month, if you're not fussy about location and don't mind a dilapidated mobile home out on the edge of Muleshoe, Texas, and can walk into town for your provisions.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-16-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

I'm in SoCal. Wouldn't location have something to do with all these comparisons?

Absolutely.

But a couple things:
1. I'm not gonna pry.

2. Cost of living and wages are (Somewhat) connected.

3. Location is controlable. (I've moved a lot)

4. I'm more wondering in terms of generalities.

5. People can feel free to share more (As I did)

Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,778,033 times
Mortgage, taxes, insurance -about $6.00 a day. (Yes, I'm cheap and live in a cheap area!)
Cable, power, phone and water about $10.00 a day.
Pet basic maintenance - between $10-15 per day....probably my biggest expense. That does not include training, show entry fees. etc. We try not to talk about that LOL.
Gas and food...$10 - 20 per day, depending on whatever.
Extra money these days is going into home and garden improvements; I bought and live in a fixer-upper, last year. Also some in savings.

Clothing, hair, entertainment, as I can afford it. I barter when I can and have a very solvent man-friend who often picks up the tab for entertainment.

I'm self-employed and my income is variable but I figure that as long as I average about $2,000 a month, I'm good. Much below that...I can't save anything and might struggle with fixed expenses. If I had no pets I'd be much better off financially for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living