U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 PM

62 posts, read 336,160 times

Advertisements

hope I'm posting in the correct forum

Wondering if anyone has experience with buying one of those small *rent to own* portable storage cabins (12 x 30' or smaller)
and actually making it into a home?

seems like a very inexpensive way to live especially if you already own the land
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Self preparedness forum would be a better place. All the SHTF stuff is in there.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:57 PM

1,096 posts, read 3,987,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacor77 View Post
hope I'm posting in the correct forum

Wondering if anyone has experience with buying one of those small *rent to own* portable storage cabins (12 x 30' or smaller)
and actually making it into a home?

seems like a very inexpensive way to live especially if you already own the land
If your renting it you not going to be allowed to make alterations nad it would probably cost a fortune anyway.

They make small prefab houses or even sheds you coudl insulate nad make into a home.

Shipping containers are also a hot new thing. THey come in diff sizes you can do some pretty cool stuff with them, google shipping container homes and look at some pics in google images or even websites.

Your giong to have a tough time finding a place that will allow you to live ni what you want to live in in terms of zoning and thigns like that unless you are very rural or in an area with unconventional homes.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,728,660 times
There is a ton of info here on small and alternative housing:

Tiny House Blog - Living Simply in Small Spaces

If you own the land, the trick is owning it in a location that will allow very small houses or trailers or "alt" housing.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM

3,714 posts, read 8,118,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

If you own the land, the trick is owning it in a location that will allow very small houses or trailers or "alt" housing.
Another thing to keep in mind is that even though alternative housing may be allowed, if you decide to sell some day, you'll have to owner finance. Generally speaking, commercial banks won't lend anything on non-traditional housing. And then there's insurance, if you want home owner's insurance, make sure you comply with their requirements. They aren't usually that stringent, but for things like a wood stove, those have to be installed by a licensed expert, not by the owner (unless the owner happens to be licensed).

Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,120,662 times
Before you buy the house or the land, read the town zoning code where you want to put it. The town may have a standard for the smallest size / largest size of house allowed, or the size of the lot you need, along with sewage requirements, electric hookup, etc. I am not kidding... our house is a small ranch built pre-code; we are on septic ( so need an acre lot) and originally were on well water. If we only had the house without the 2 built on enclosed porches, we would be too small for the current town code . [I imagine the reason size was mandated was to keep out trailers.]

Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post

Your giong to have a tough time finding a place that will allow you to live ni what you want to live in in terms of zoning and thigns like that unless you are very rural or in an area with unconventional homes.
Welcome to the land of the free and sweet land of liberty.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69

Welcome to the land of the free and sweet land of liberty.
-----------------------------------------------------

It is mainly for the purpose of things like sanitation that these things are zoned out. If you are camping and want to basically leave manure out in the woods, it is one thing. If you are in even a rural bordering suburban area like where I live, you need to hook up to the power and water and have a septic. I have seen these portables in rural areas here where the water is only brought in from bottles ( no well, no county water), where electric and gas are not necessarily hooked up (I have seen propane heat and kerosene lights) and where the septic was a bucket, dumped onsite when needed to be. This is not the 1800s. I prefer not to have anyone foul my well (we sometimes use it for the garden, not drinking) with lack of sanitation.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM

1,550 posts, read 2,960,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post

I am very interested in the Tiny House Movement. As I get older I would need to be in something of that size because I would not be able to maintain the home I have now due to lack of endurance and strength; not to mention reduction in finances.
Is there anyway to learning of the zoning pratices of each state regarding this?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I am very interested in the Tiny House Movement. As I get older I would need to be in something of that size because I would not be able to maintain the home I have now due to lack of endurance and strength; not to mention reduction in finances.
Is there anyway to learning of the zoning pratices of each state regarding this?
In NY State, every town has a zoning code or has no zoning laws. Look up the state. Most rural areas have zoning laws. Towns and city have zoning laws. You will often find a zoning code posted on a town website.

You might consider looking into places with tiny homes in city areas. There are many small cottages or original servant quarters in old parts of Buffalo; they are often sold separate from the house. One of my daughters has a friend who owns one on the nice part of the west side of the city. I think it is about 550 sq. ft. This way, you are buying something already there and habitable and do not need to worry about zoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or