Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I suppose if you're not familiar with elementary logic? I'm claiming that frugality doesn't lead to wealth, that is, its not a sufficient condition for becoming wealthy. Actually, I went further, I suggested its a fetter to achieving serious wealth. But never did I suggest that frugality and wealth are some how logically mutual exclusive, hence pointing out a few examples of people that are both frugal and wealthy doesn't refute anything I've said.
And it's your "further" where you fall on your face.

(and it's totally without any kind of logic BTW)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I only know 2 multimillionaires
(ill define this as over 2 mil not counting the primary residence. A couple others about to retire might be on the cusp, but counting the house)

BOTH are VERY frugal.

One a retired fire fighter, the other retired merchant marine

Anticdotal, but enough to say your wrong...
I know several several millionares(based on your definition)... and most are not too frugal.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here's the best argument I've ever heard in favor of frugality.

NASA spent a million dollars developing a ball point pen that would work in zero-gravity. The Russian cosmonauts just used pencils.
You can't use fiction as an argument. For it to be valid, it has to be true.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You can't use fiction as an argument. For it to be valid, it has to be true.
I didn't say it was true. I only said it was the best argument I've ever heard. It is also not true that the early bird catches the worm, but that doesn't stop it from being a sound argument upon which to base a lifestyle philosophy.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm claiming that frugality doesn't lead to wealth, that is, its not a sufficient condition for becoming wealthy.
Neither is work. Nor is diligence. Nor education. Nor is constantly dreaming of or striving for higher goals..

Nor, for that matter, is becoming wealthy a sufficient condition for settling into a comfortable and fulfilling lifestyle.

It may be true (I'm not saying it is) that human nature dictates that wealth begets greed, but greed does not beget contentment. Just something to ponder.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
I think the whole point of this article is that when you've already gotten your frugality down to a certain point and it becomes difficult, you should focus more on increasing your income.

If you want to increase what you save every month, you have 2 choices: spend less or get paid more. There are many ways to achieve both but it's beyond the scope of this article.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I think the whole point of this article is that when you've already gotten your frugality down to a certain point and it becomes difficult, you should focus more on increasing your income.

If you want to increase what you save every month, you have 2 choices: spend less or get paid more. There are many ways to achieve both but it's beyond the scope of this article.
Exactly! I'm glad that some of you get it.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
I do not like the concept of earning more money to maintain a certain lifestyle. I don't want to work a second a job. I do, however, like the concept of conscious spending. I save for luxury items and make sure credit cards are paid off each month.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not like the concept of earning more money to maintain a certain lifestyle. I don't want to work a second a job. I do, however, like the concept of conscious spending. I save for luxury items and make sure credit cards are paid off each month.
I hear ya. The way the article puts it isn't to my liking either. I personally like the idea of creating residual or passive income... or just increasing my income within the same amount of hours. Although, that certainly takes some work, but I feel the payoff is big. I mean, if you increase your value, that's pretty much residual as well. So do the work once, and benefit for the rest of your life. (That's what education is supposed to do)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I hear ya. The way the article puts it isn't to my liking either. I personally like the idea of creating residual or passive income... or just increasing my income within the same amount of hours. Although, that certainly takes some work, but I feel the payoff is big. I mean, if you increase your value, that's pretty much residual as well. So do the work once, and benefit for the rest of your life. (That's what education is supposed to do)
You "feel" and "supposed to" etc... So you' HAVNT DONE what you keep advocating... Unlike the savers who DO.

Ok then, just clarifying!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living