Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Good luck driving 45 mph on the freeway and not getting run over or even ticketed for holding up traffic.. speed limits are 65 here in CA so I drive that or slightly lower now instead of 10 over that I've done when was was $2-3/gal. Not sure what the speed limits and real speeds are in NJ.. probably lower but 45??
Speed limits here in NJ are 65 as well. But NJ's infrastructure is quite a bit older than CA, so many of our highways are not 6 to 12 lanes like is common in CA. Thus as Bradykp indicated, 45-60 is not hard to do.

I live off of Rt 1, which in NJ is horrible during rush hour. 45 is just about how fast I get. I only drive for 12 minutes each way, so it's not a big deal anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Obviously I totally disagree with gas is gas, that's why I started this post.

My wife was the one who noticed the difference in gas a couple of years ago and her thing was in the fall when they add ethanol her gas mileage would go down.

And although the world wanted to boycott citco back a couple of years I did not because I knew then I got better mileage at that station mentioned above.

For me it's all in the numbers, I am a conservative driver and of course that helps but I have been watching this for years.

I think you need brain-health medicine. The amount of savings in the SLIGHT difference in gas blends.....is next to nothing. Here fella, go out and get yourself a subcompact that gets 50mpg, that will soothe the demons whipping around in your brain-type material.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I know next to nothing about this topic. ... True or not true? Does that mean that it is the state that places demands on what gas sold at the pump must or must not contain?
It is even more regional that STATE. Even to the point that our COUNTY has 3 different requirements based on emission controls in different areas. In reality the fuel comes from a central blending terminal, BUT only certain areas HAVE to be required to have additives AND fuel can be distributed from different blending terminals. (RES renewable energy standards AND emission restrictions come into play) and YES, different fuel blends can vary your 'mileage' by A LOT, especially if you have a highly efficient engine / vehicle.

While only 1 of my current fleet uses GAS, I do keep yard equipment and motorcycles that run that garbage. (currently troublesome fuel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
...go out and get yourself a subcompact that gets 50mpg, ...
I wouldn't call my 3300# Passat Station Wagon a 'Subcompact'. It gets 52mpg and has a 25 gal fuel tank

The local Prius Capital of USA offers lots of obscene gestures to my bumper sticker...
50 mpg since 1976, Where Have You Been? No OPEC, No Dinosaurs, No TOXIC batteries required...

Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It is even more regional that STATE. Even to the point that our COUNTY has 3 different requirements based on emission controls in different areas. In reality the fuel comes from a central blending terminal, BUT only certain areas HAVE to be required to have additives AND fuel can be distributed from different blending terminals. (RES renewable energy standards AND emission restrictions come into play) and YES, different fuel blends can vary your 'mileage' by A LOT, especially if you have a highly efficient engine / vehicle.

While only 1 of my current fleet uses GAS, I do keep yard equipment and motorcycles that run that garbage. (currently troublesome fuel)

I wouldn't call my 3300# Passat Station Wagon a 'Subcompact'. It gets 52mpg and has a 25 gal fuel tank

The local Prius Capital of USA offers lots of obscene gestures to my bumper sticker...
50 mpg since 1976, Where Have You Been? No OPEC, No Dinosaurs, No TOXIC batteries required...
That is pretty good gas mileage, what year is your car??? Must be a newer car, probably has VVt and turbo with lean burn mode. Yeah, you better shop around for the best blend, it will probably add .00001 mpg.

There is technology available today that could easily enable a small car to get 100mpg.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:28 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
You could also get a natural gas car. CNG sells for about 2$/gallon about half the price of gasoline. Also your cng car runs exactly the same way as gasoline car. Only difference is lack of CNG pumps, however as we move over to CNG more and more will be installed.

Did I mention that the USA produces most of its natural gas domestically?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
You could also get a natural gas car. CNG sells for about 2$/gallon about half the price of gasoline. Also your cng car runs exactly the same way as gasoline car. Only difference is lack of CNG pumps, however as we move over to CNG more and more will be installed.

Did I mention that the USA produces most of its natural gas domestically?
Clark Howard, a nationally syndicated consumer advocate bought a CNG Honda Civic a few years back. He raved about it on fuel economy and teh like. Then he sold it.

Why? Because the town he lived in - Atlanta, GA - had a single fuel station.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Clark Howard, a nationally syndicated consumer advocate bought a CNG Honda Civic a few years back. He raved about it on fuel economy and teh like. Then he sold it.

Why? Because the town he lived in - Atlanta, GA - had a single fuel station.
The CNG Honda Civic comes with a fuel station that is installed at your home if you have a CNG line. It does take time to fill the tank because residential CNG lines are relatively low pressure for safety. Assuming that you don't drive long distances, you should be okay.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The CNG Honda Civic comes with a fuel station that is installed at your home if you have a CNG line. It does take time to fill the tank because residential CNG lines are relatively low pressure for safety. Assuming that you don't drive long distances, you should be okay.
at that rate though, i'd just get an EV. if i have the same limitations, i'd rather get my fill-up through electricity, and keep working on getting more solar and wind in my areas....

Old 08-26-2012, 01:43 PM

[quote=bradykp;19173602]at that rate though, i'd just get an EV. if i have the same limitations, i'd rather get my fill-up through electricity, and keep working on getting more solar and wind in my areas....[/quote]

Do it yourself, it is not that hard. In many areas though, that is a no-no....electrical is only to be touched by electricians.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
E85 is cheaper but (assuming your car will run on it) your mileage will differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living