Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times

Advertisements

I live in Central New Jersey and have had cars with on-board computers that monitored my gas mileage. I always look for a good price per gallon but just as important is the miles per gallon.

I want to start a list of good and bad gas stations with miles per gallon stressed over price. I have a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good
K&D in Morgan/Laurence Harbor on Rt 35 south Great mileage and aggressive price. (they only have regular but it works for me) 20 - 21 MPG local

Citgo in Manalapan on Rt 33 west good mile age good price 18 - 19 MPG local

Bad
Cumberland Farms in Englishtown rt 527 south. Poor mileage. 15 - 16 MPG local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
I live in Central New Jersey and have had cars with on-board computers that monitored my gas mileage. I always look for a good price per gallon but just as important is the miles per gallon.

I want to start a list of good and bad gas stations with miles per gallon stressed over price. I have a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Good
K&D in Morgan/Laurence Harbor on Rt 35 south Great mileage and aggressive price. (they only have regular but it works for me) 20 - 21 MPG local

Citgo in Manalapan on Rt 33 west good mile age good price 18 - 19 MPG local

Bad
Cumberland Farms in Englishtown rt 527 south. Poor mileage. 15 - 16 MPG local
for the most part, gas is gas. you're comparison of tanks could be effected by a variety of factors on where exactly you drove on that tank, weather, temperature, roads, etc.

typically though, i don't buy the "off brand" gas as it's not any cheaper than Sunoco or BP, which is where i typically go.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
I'll bite.

I have an '09 Nissan Altima Hybrid and an '11 Infiniti m35 hybrid.

Good
Hess, Rt 1 N, North Brunswick - 44mpg on Altima/33mpg on M35
Exxon, Rt 1 N, Monmouth Jnc/South Brunswick, NJ - 41mpg/32mpg

Bad
Getty, Rt 1 N, West Windsor, NJ - 38mpg/31mpg
Raceway, Rt 1 S, North Brunswick, NJ - 38mpg/30mpg

I rarely venture away from rt 1. I keep a spreadsheet (or used to) on my phone... but never really analyzed it like this. These figures are actually from last summer. The problem is that hybrids tend to vary by so many factors that it's not really much of help and well within the margin of external factors in my opinion.

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus Wagon as well, and that piece of crap gets 20mpg no matter what.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Obviously I totally disagree with gas is gas, that's why I started this post.

My wife was the one who noticed the difference in gas a couple of years ago and her thing was in the fall when they add ethanol her gas mileage would go down.

And although the world wanted to boycott citco back a couple of years I did not because I knew then I got better mileage at that station mentioned above.

For me it's all in the numbers, I am a conservative driver and of course that helps but I have been watching this for years.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If you buy gas that is 10% ethanol, expect to get significantly less mpg, because ethanol just raises the octane, but gives little energy. So a 10-gallon fillup of 10% ethanol will give you 9 gallons of motor fuel to power your car, and one gallon of non-fuel, coming along for the ride as an octane booster.

NJmike, the world did not want to boycott Citgo. Conservative Americans did, because the profits from Citgo were going to the general revenues for the people in the country that produced the oil, not to the fat cats who bought it and resold it for their own profit and then put the profits in Cayman Island banks.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you buy gas that is 10% ethanol, expect to get significantly less mpg, because ethanol just raises the octane, but gives little energy. So a 10-gallon fillup of 10% ethanol will give you 9 gallons of motor fuel to power your car, and one gallon of non-fuel, coming along for the ride as an octane booster.

NJmike, the world did not want to boycott Citgo. Conservative Americans did, because the profits from Citgo were going to the general revenues for the people in the country that produced the oil, not to the fat cats who bought it and resold it for their own profit and then put the profits in Cayman Island banks.

That's true it was not the world.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Obviously I totally disagree with gas is gas, that's why I started this post.

My wife was the one who noticed the difference in gas a couple of years ago and her thing was in the fall when they add ethanol her gas mileage would go down.

And although the world wanted to boycott citco back a couple of years I did not because I knew then I got better mileage at that station mentioned above.

For me it's all in the numbers, I am a conservative driver and of course that helps but I have been watching this for years.
you don't have to agree with it. feel free to read about it. here's a good book:

Amazon.com: Oil on the Brain: Adventures from the Pump to the Pipeline (9780385511452): Lisa Margonelli: Books

all the different companies all buy their gas from the same places. the trucks from all the different brands fill up to supply the stations at the same places.

the only difference is the additives. these aren't beliefs, they are facts.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
98% of the gas sold in my county passes through the same Citgo fuel barge terminal. (Walmart is the only seller with a difference source) And even knowing that, there still seem to be differences from station to station, and a few stations we avoid at all costs because their gas has caused issues with my husband's fussy VW sedan in the part.

And we usually buy Citgo. I'm no fan of Chavez, but feel like Walmart is the much bigger threat to the American way of life, and if I can't avoid Citgo entirely, I might as well take advantage of the fact that they're one of the cheaper gas stations in these parts.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
98% of the gas sold in my county passes through the same Citgo fuel barge terminal. (Walmart is the only seller with a difference source) And even knowing that, there still seem to be differences from station to station, and a few stations we avoid at all costs because their gas has caused issues with my husband's fussy VW sedan in the part.

And we usually buy Citgo. I'm no fan of Chavez, but feel like Walmart is the much bigger threat to the American way of life, and if I can't avoid Citgo entirely, I might as well take advantage of the fact that they're one of the cheaper gas stations in these parts.
interesting that Walmart is somehow more evil than Chavez....

but the only thing that differs is addatives. these are "cleaning agents", that really have no true impact on mpg.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
interesting that Walmart is somehow more evil than Chavez....

but the only thing that differs is addatives. these are "cleaning agents", that really have no true impact on mpg.
what about the ethanol? this is the first time im hearing about different gases resulting in different mpg's. the ethanol sounds like it could make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living