Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,964,409 times

Advertisements

Here is how I am going to save money. Only eat at home. Eat everything I have in my refrigerator freezers, unless there are super sales on produce and fruit. Quit volunteering. I know, bad. But it costs me money and is far from my house. I'll look for something closer to home. Possibly stop all cable TV. After all, there is only one show I watch on TV. Possibly switch phone plans to lower minutes, as my needs have changed. Change how I use my medical insurance. Pay off all credit cards even if it means I go without. I have those 6/18 month no interest, but it's tricky because they combined them into one statement.

Not buy anymore clothes and go on a diet. Yes, I have joined WW and it costs money, but I'll save money on eating less and getting back into my lower sizes. Then I can donate my bigger clothes. Get rid of clutter. Maybe have a garage sale. Maybe start selling stuff on Craig's list, like furniture.

Write my congress people so I can continue to get my meds from Canada. Quit smoking. That is #1. Only buy gas at the cheapest establishments, even if it means throwing $5 in the tank to drive across town to fill up. Continue to go to thrift stores and for necessities. Did I say getting rid of clutter? Clothes are a write off if given to certain charities. Go to Costco and buy in bulk. Make my own salads.

The two things I won't go without are pool service and only because my pool goes green and it costs me more to fix it than to hire someone and yard service, as I have a very reasonable service and a big lot. Recently I bought a book for 15 cents on Amazon. Far more educational than TV.

What are your plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,130,147 times
I am also going to go through my cabinets/fridge this week and make menus off what I have.

Look to cut down on cable. I considered giving up my landline phone, but cell coverage can be sketchy in my area sometimes.

Utilize my grocery gas rewards. Easier since they partnered with a certain gas station, which is a mile down the road from me. So I can use my gas rewards there.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 AM

15,317 posts, read 17,144,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
The two things I won't go without are pool service and only because my pool goes green and it costs me more to fix it than to hire someone and yard service, as I have a very reasonable service and a big lot. Recently I bought a book for 15 cents on Amazon. Far more educational than TV.

What are your plans?
Unless you frequently use it, perhaps you should leave your pool closed.

All good ideas. I'm already doing enough I can. Still have my $1.15 vice (coffee), but other than that I already eat at home and bring my own lunch. Also cutting back on driving. Plenty of ways to stay entertained at home.

I guess if gas prices continue to rise, there won't be much justification for the coffee.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,373,554 times
Cut down on cable, shop at Aldi's, use my Exxon rewards card for gas savings, increase my rent on my rental property, cancel XM and Onstar (but keeping Netflix), use coupons and apps for clothing, use fans in the house on hot days and cut back on using the dishwasher and oven.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,329,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Cut down on cable, shop at Aldi's, use my Exxon rewards card for gas savings, increase my rent on my rental property, cancel XM and Onstar (but keeping Netflix), use coupons and apps for clothing, use fans in the house on hot days and cut back on using the dishwasher and oven.
you should evaluate your exxon rewards vs using a different credit card at less expensive gas stations than exxon, and still getting the 5% back...

Old 05-04-2011, 03:31 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Good ideas....me too on: eat at home, Aldi's and Big Lots shopping, no cable, (watch tv episodes and movies on HULU.com). I am moving soon and will then have only a week or so food around, so I can eat what I spend and not have so much "saved" in the cupboard.

Pay off ccards after I get moved. Also, volunteer but somewhere close to my new place. Clutter I am done with, the donation trucks have been here FOUR times already and one more to go.....feels great!

Getting older, so I really enjoy staying at home and reading, cooking a bit, hanging out with felines, a bit of gardening, walking the beach. Don't need expensive entertainment.

Base good tips on service and drink only H2O when out and about or in restaurant. No make-up except a few lipsticks and maybe mascara. No dyeing of hair.

Ok, now, what do the rest of you have for us??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Here is how I am going to save money. Only eat at home. Eat everything I have in my refrigerator freezers, unless there are super sales on produce and fruit. Quit volunteering. I know, bad. But it costs me money and is far from my house. I'll look for something closer to home. Possibly stop all cable TV. After all, there is only one show I watch on TV. Possibly switch phone plans to lower minutes, as my needs have changed. Change how I use my medical insurance. Pay off all credit cards even if it means I go without. I have those 6/18 month no interest, but it's tricky because they combined them into one statement.

Not buy anymore clothes and go on a diet. Yes, I have joined WW and it costs money, but I'll save money on eating less and getting back into my lower sizes. Then I can donate my bigger clothes. Get rid of clutter. Maybe have a garage sale. Maybe start selling stuff on Craig's list, like furniture.

Write my congress people so I can continue to get my meds from Canada. Quit smoking. That is #1. Only buy gas at the cheapest establishments, even if it means throwing $5 in the tank to drive across town to fill up. Continue to go to thrift stores and for necessities. Did I say getting rid of clutter? Clothes are a write off if given to certain charities. Go to Costco and buy in bulk. Make my own salads.

What are your plans?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,463,641 times
extreme couponing

telling my wife not to buy so much crap

driving like an old lady

putting in more hours at the brazilian waxing place i work at as a side job

Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
I parked the RV and bought a house...
(and I'm darn close to being ahead already)

Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,130,147 times
Yes, continuing to pack my lunch is another way for me too.

Also, perhaps more cooking from scratch. For example, I'm spoiled by the break and bake cookies, but if I have the ingredients on hand to make cookies from scratch (and cake and brownies), then in the long run it will save. I talk like I bake up a storm huh? LOL

Also, going along with using up what's in my cupboards, and to help cut down on my Diet Coke habit, I am gonna make my own iced tea. I have a boatload of tea bags (you know, cuz they are packages of like 500 for 10 cents, LOL) but it's getting too warm to drink hot beverages. So I will boil the water (free from the tap, of course) and use the tea bags to make iced tea. I don't use lemon or sugar in it either, so it's a savings too.

Last edited by CTGirlNoMore; 05-04-2011 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: edited for misspelling

Old 05-04-2011, 09:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,964,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Unless you frequently use it, perhaps you should leave your pool closed.

All good ideas. I'm already doing enough I can. Still have my $1.15 vice (coffee), but other than that I already eat at home and bring my own lunch. Also cutting back on driving. Plenty of ways to stay entertained at home.

I guess if gas prices continue to rise, there won't be much justification for the coffee.
Pool is a money pit and I cannot change that. I live in the desert and you can't drain it or it caves in. So you have to keep it full and then if you don't take care of it it turns into a green swamp and then helicopters fly over and give you warnings and mosquitos come and you risk West Nile Virus and get both sick and fined and sometimes even die. Pools are a non-negotiable item that cannot be skimped on if you live in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living