Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

I never fight grocery stores lines, so maybe they're long in Houston. Buying a box like that would be a waste of my money, I would have to give away what I don't like. I prefer to see what I'm buying in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Omygosh, I just got back from picking up my food. I cant believe how much there was! I had to give a lot of it to my neighbor because I wont be able to eat all of it...frozen (steaks, pork steaks, sausage links, sandwiches, ice cream and more), fruits and veggies (too much to specify), dairy (milk, eggs, etc), after-school foods for my grandkids and more.

I was concerned about buying it all unseen but so many other people had told me how good it all is that I went ahead and tried it. I'm so glad I did! There's not one spoiled or not-fresh item in the boxes. And, even if I gave away half of what I bought, the prices make it a good deal. Plus, no fighting the grocery store lines!
We didn't get the produce boxes and I certainly didn't get any ice cream! No fair!

I was impressed with the amount - it's amazing when you see $70 fill one and half freezers (not to mention the stuff for the cabinets. I know it's not nice to laugh at others, but to hear someone say something so ignorant as "I can get better prices in a grocery store" is funny. No, my friend. Not even at Aldi's.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:36 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
LOL at sskkc! I think the ice cream sandwiches were in the after-school box, which had a LOT of good items. I bought that box for my grandkids but, after checking it out, I ended up keeping most of it.

And, yes, I was -- and still am -- amazed at how much food I got for the low prices. I'm sure I got more than was identified for each box. I had told my neighbor about it when I was ordering and she was reluctant to buy without seeing it. I called her over this morning after I had picked up the food and she was upset that she hadnt gotten in on the deal. I'll bet I see her at the June pickup.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM

sskkc, I have to tell you...what I thought were ice cream sandwiches werent. I went through the after-school box very quickly and they looked just like ice cream so I put them in the freezer. I got them out for my grandkids last night. Oops. They're peanut-butter-and-graham-cracker sandwiches! Delicious, even when frozen , and my grandkids want more next month.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
The kids assortments looked downright toxic, the equivalent of cans of chef boyardee and hot pockets. Most of the main groupings could be bought for much less by a fairly careful shopper, and contain a lot of convenience mixes.

It looks like it would be a fair deal only for people who are way too busy to shop and would ordinarily serve only convenience foods in the first place. But my location is in the part of town where a majority of people are nutrition-challenged in the first place and have plenty of free time. They should instead be encouraged to learn to prepared low-meat, high-nutrition meals from scratch, and "snack" already constitutes the bulk of their everyday diet.

The monthly distribution pretty much guarantees that the foods are long-shelf-life products, or would require more freezer space than the typical low-income household has access to. Neither of which really make much of a positive impact on the nutritional needs of distressed Americans.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
does anyone here buy groceries from angel food ministries? I've heard of it for years but always thought it was for low-income people only. However, a friend of mine, who is definitely not low-income, told me that she uses it and loves it.

So i checked it out. It's a great way to get quality groceries cheap. You make your selection(s) from monthly menus online and pay at that time; then you pick up your food at the place of your choosing on a certain date. Each month's menu is different and consists of fresh, frozen and packaged food purchased from the nation’s top food suppliers.

The downside is that most selections offer boxes of various meats, veggies and fruits and you have to buy the entire box, whether you like everything in it or not. However, the prices are so good that i havent minded buying boxes that have a few things for which i dont care.

And the monthly menus always include nice specialty items. For example, june's menu has a 4-lb box of sirloin strip steaks (8 of the 8-oz strips) for $25 and an 8-lb box of hamburger steaks (16 of the 8-oz steaks) for $28.

The below link shows the june menu. There's also more info about the program and the pickup locations:
food menu - angel food ministries

disclaimer: This is not an advertisement. I have no financial interest in this group. I submitted this post only because i think it's an interesting, very inexpensive way to buy groceries.

omg..thank you...

Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 AM

You're very welcome, jeepgirl. I had one of the sirloin steaks last night. It was so good that I ordered a couple of the sirloin steak specials for June.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:23 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
You're very welcome, jeepgirl. I had one of the sirloin steaks last night. It was so good that I ordered a couple of the sirloin steak specials for June.

My boyfriend, my son, my sister, are going to do it..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I wouldn't waste my money.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:09 AM

LOL at moved. That was your third negative post in this short thread. We get it...you dont like the Angel Food deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living