Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 08:25 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,206 times

Advertisements

Am I allowed to say through who? Basically, I am going from 5 gigs with an overage fee for $60 to 5 gigs with no overage fee for $40 (however most would have to pay $50). Still, it's a savings of $10 a month and a no worry way to use the Net. Since we constantly reference store names, I don't know why I couldn't mention this carrier, but don't want it do be viewed as spam. I am sure someone smarter than me will tell me if it's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Right below your are post, there are three "Ads by Google", pitching internet offers.

I do not understand the policy. In the automotive forum, almost every topic names makes and models of cars, and gives details about why or why not to buy one. And abut car insurance companies or car rental companies. In the travel forum, comments about specific airlines, hotels, cruise companies, online travel booking sites. In the sports forum comments about why to buy tickets to a Cubs game but not a White Sox game, and which cable networks to watch games on. You can go and post whatever you like in the Internet and PC sub-forums in the Science forum, about internet service providers. anti virus security systems, computers, hardware and software, by name, rank and serial number, and in the Food and Drink forum about the price of onions at Piggly Wiggly or Whoppers at BK. But still, there seems to be some "rule" intended to prohibit "commercial" postings. In the city forums, you apparently can't even comment on an apartment complex or a real estate agent.

I would suggest you go ahead and give the information that you think would be generally useful, but it might be more appropriate in the Internst Subforum, and let the moderator there cut it if it is not compliant, but I don't see any past evidence there that it would be.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-28-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 AM

Thanks, well, maybe a mod will drop by to clarify. I just wanted to share a great deal. I like to use the Net a lot and it's a real pain in the arse to have to watch my usage. So if I can get the same plus more for less money, I will. And I'll share it with others too if I can.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Just tell us. If a mod is unhappy about it, which I doubt will happen, they will delete it.

So was it Best Buy? Radio Shack? Verizon? See? No lightning strike!

One of things I sometimes do when I mention a company is state that I have no affiliation with it and will receive no financial gain from it.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Right below your are post, there are three "Ads by Google", pitching internet offers.
Heh. Not if you've got ads blocked

Old 05-28-2011, 09:22 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,529,910 times
While I'm not the Mod for this forum, I see no problem with it. You are not personally gaining from it, just passing on what you feel is a good deal that others may find helpful.

With so many folks dropping landlines, dropping or switching cable, but still needing internet, others may want to know their options......

Frank

Old 05-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Ok, thanks faithfulFrank. It's TMobile. What makes it so great is it's wireless! You just plug in the little stick and off you go anywhere and can be online. It's a great deal and for those (like me) who like to stream and be on the Net a lot and not have to worry about usage, it's a great deal! BTW, I don't benefit by sharing this info in any way shape or form!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
I've got a really crappy deal on "broadband". I'm paying $40 for 2.5 gig of so-called broadband; if I reach the 2.5 GB monthly cap, they cut my speed in half. That part isn't a problem because I don't use that much even though I'm online a lot, because the actual connection speed is slow enough that I just don't get to transfer that much even though I'd like to. It often takes 15 minutes to hear a three-minute song.

The service is inconsistent, it's not unusual for it to "freeze" (connected but no transfer down or up) for several minutes (or longer) at a time. Sometimes it just drops connection and I have to reconnect, sometimes I can't even connect.

I don't have any phone line in the basement (no wiring), so I can't use dialup or DSL.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've got a really crappy deal on "broadband". I'm paying $40 for 2.5 gig of so-called broadband; if I reach the 2.5 GB monthly cap, they cut my speed in half. That part isn't a problem because I don't use that much even though I'm online a lot, because the actual connection speed is slow enough that I just don't get to transfer that much even though I'd like to. It often takes 15 minutes to hear a three-minute song.

The service is inconsistent, it's not unusual for it to "freeze" (connected but no transfer down or up) for several minutes (or longer) at a time. Sometimes it just drops connection and I have to reconnect, sometimes I can't even connect.

I don't have any phone line in the basement (no wiring), so I can't use dialup or DSL.
Unless you signed a contract, why not switch to another carrier? Or even if you signed a contract, it might be worth just paying the early termination fee. At any rate, sorry, that is crappy service.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
I tried to find low priced internet but all it did was go up and up. The last broadband I had was $60 a month. I now use wifi which is available almost everywhere anymore. The only problem is I cannot do internet banking or other secure transactions. However, I have learned to surf the web and let my fingers do the walking when I want to order an item. Vendors are just as happy to sell over the phone as an internet order. This works well for me and I save $60/month. However, once I found myself going to a local coffee shop daily for the wifi and s pending more on the coffee than an internet connection. Now I make sure I want the coffee before going to the coffee shop and if not use the library or other wife location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living