Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times

Advertisements

In my experiences I would say that for the most part you get what you pay for when it comes to beer. Naturally, that doesn't bode well for those trying to be frugal. As a result, I am constantly struggling with deciding whether to shell out a little more to get a decent tasting beer, or do I get the cheap stuff to save some money but then put up with grimacing in disgust after every sip and sporting a "bitter beer face" for the next several days. What is everyone else's feedback on this?

I used to consider myself lucky, as one of the cheapest beers you could get in Minnesota was Premium Grainbelt (brewed in New Ulm, MN). Premium is a very solid beer by the way. Now those days have passed and the price of "Primo" has jumped to the level of Mich. Golden, etc. I was completely spoiled by being able to get a decent quality case of beer for under $17. Now the last time I bought a case I ended up settling with a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon ($14.50 for a 24 pack). Although it isn't a terrible beer by any means...I'm nearing 30 years old and I'm at a point where I risk being mocked and ridiculed for drinking such low quality beer. It really wouldn't be a huge jump to throw down a couple more bucks to get a case of Coors...anyways, maybe I'm over-analyzing this. Anyone else fallen into this conundrum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Friends don't let friends drink Pabst.

If you can't afford to be a beer snob... you need a better job.
That said... I have Yuengling Traditional Lager in my frig ($10/12pk).
About twice a year I'll buy some Grolsch.

Out and about... I'll have a draft of the local that's on tap.
---

Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
if you really dont like it, then no point in spending anything on it. so you arent being frugal by buying stuff you dont like.

im fortunate that my beverage of choice is water and i dont have to pay anything for it.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
beers of the world - Google Search

So many beers, so little time.

I like craft beer,micro brew beer, locally brewed beer,imported beers from around the world, as i only drink maybe 6 beers a week price is usually not a consideration.
If i was knocking back 12 or 24 a day i'd then probably be looking for a local or national brand decent tasting,low cost brew.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,717 posts, read 58,054,000 times
drink Beer more frugally, and stick with quality.

once / month @ happy hour

No beers in the fridge for last 30 yrs.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You are drinking beer and grimacing in disgust at the taste? Perhaps you need to think about counseling.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
drink Beer more frugally, and stick with quality.
I was in Corvalis in March... a very nice selection was available there.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I choose tap water over any of the following beers 100% of the time:

A-B anything including Michelob
Miller anything
Any Canadian mass market lager
Any Australian mass market lager
Any Mexican mass market lager
Coors anything
Any lite beer of any brand other than Sam Adams Light
Any Japanese beer

Life is too short to waste money on crappy beer.

I would rather drink one Anchor or Sierra Nevada or Sam Adams, etc. than 12 of the above beers.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
Life is too short for cheap beer.

I homebrew. Doesn't really save me any money. But, I get to try all kinds of different styles, and know what I am drinking is of high quality. And it is made exactly to MY taste.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
You're lucky. In Minneapolis, you can buy Leinenkugel Original for the same price as the Bud and Miller crap, and get America's best "non-micro" beer. Or look around and see if there is a supermarket that sells Point, which is comparable, but you might have to drive to Hudson to get it, beer distributors recognize state lines. Leinenkugel is a "mass market beer" that Hoffdano might not know about, since it is mostly distributed in Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas, and is classified as a specialty (and high priced) beer elsewhere.

Money is too hard to get, to waste more than a buck a bottle on beer when there's Leinie's.

I think there are two different Schlitz products going around. One is a semi-specialty, possibly brewed in Milwaukee, and the other is the same price as Milwaukee Best, brewed in San Antonio, available down here as a very acceptable cheap alternative. Try a dozen and see what you think.

Get some of those insulated foam sleeves to put your beer can in, and nobody will know that they're supposed to mock you.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-02-2011 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living