U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 02:14 PM

9,454 posts, read 15,010,253 times

Advertisements

Would like to start a thread about cheap beauty tips

Here's mine:

facial exfoliator

combine sugar with about a teaspoon of olive oil
scrub face gently, rinse
results are as good as the super-expensive exfoliators
I suggest NOT using the extra-virgin oil, smell is too strong

fragarences
buy the scented hand cream instead of the perfume, it lasts as long, isn't so overpowering, and much cheaper

hair conditioner
again, olive oil
heat up s samll amount in the microwave, be careful, just about 10 sec is all you need
distribute on dry hair using a wide-tooth comb
put on an old, plastic shower cap, wait about 20-30 min
wash out
leaves hair looking great

dry skin
use an aloe vera plant, you can find at farmer's markets, procude sections, or can grow your own'
just cut a small piece, poke it to get the juice out (its like a gel), rub on

tooth whitener
brush with baking soda

so, any more cheap beauty ideas out there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 08:07 PM

917 posts, read 1,701,988 times
Use baby oil to remove eyeliner. You can use the dollar store brand.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,113,536 times
plain baking soda with water makes a wonderful facial scrub.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 AM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
What I've discovered is portion control. I couldn't stand the bottles in the shower so I bought a wall dispenser system The Dispenser--Shampoo & soap dispenser for your shower & sink , and then found out I had been using way too much shampoo. Two pumps gave me enough. (The pumps are small amounts unlike the pump in the bottle, which dispenses a large amount of product)

Now -- I didn't get a full head of lather like in the commericals -- but you don't need to -- the lather is fun, but it's not really the cleansing agent.

And on days when my face is parched -- I will use olive oil to moisturize. Just three or four drops in my hand, rub my hands together and press the film onto my face. The heat from my hands makes the oil absorb.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
I used to wash my hair twice every day and then I used conditioner. Now I wash only once and I will occasionally skip one shampoo and just use conditioner.

I use an inexpensive hair conditioner on my skin after a shower....it smells good and helps moisturize.

Here is a site that has a lot of homemade beauty products....some that are very inexpensive to make
beauty recipes | skin and hair care recipes

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Buy Mexican soap. It comes in one-pound bars, look in the laundry detergent section of your supermarket, it has brand names like Zote and Lirio. If it's not at your supermarket or dollar store, try the local Mexican tienda. It's very close to being the natural soap like you buy at craft fairs, and costs only about a dollar for a huge bar. It's best if you can get it in the natural brown color, but that's hard to find anymore.

My ex, who was a hairdresser, said Mexican bar soap was the best thing she had ever washed her hair with. It's great in the shower, and lathers up nice for shaving.

Similar soaps can be found in every third world country, and since I first found them in Africa, I've never used anything else.

Here's another Third World secret. If you bathe every day, you don't need deodorant. If you use deodorant, it's the accumulated residual gunk from your commercial chemical deodorant that stinks, and that's what you are combatting with daily bathing. Like a vicious circle. Put on gunk with a masking smell, then try to scrub it off before it stinks, then put it on again.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-05-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you bathe every day, you don't need deodorant. If you use deodorant, it's the accumulated residual gunk from your deodorant that stinks, and that's what you are combatting with daily bathing. Like a vicious circle. Put on gunk with a masking smell, then try to scrub it off before it stinks.
My dad developed an allergy to deodorant/antiperspirant -- real painful. After that cleared up he used that baking soda body powder.... I can't remember the name but I remember the jingle -- a sprinkle a day helps keep odor away!

Hubby says it's Shower to Shower -- and htey still make it....

Old 06-05-2011, 11:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,507,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I used to wash my hair twice every day and then I used conditioner. Now I wash only once and I will occasionally skip one shampoo and just use conditioner.

beauty recipes | skin and hair care recipes
You washed your hair TWICE a day ??? Lordy, Girl..even once is way too often.

Do you ever read the bible ? Any Cosmo girl KNOWS you should only wash your hair every few days on average. Those with extra oily may need to wash every day. But you should use only a small amount of shampoo. The "Capful" thing is merely a lie the shampoo companies use to get you to use more product thus needing to purchase more sooner.

Back on topic. I love the oliveoil/sugar thing as a scrub. I will have to try this as I always have these products on hand.

My contribution to the topic at hand : an egg white masks a great facial mask for all skin types.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
You washed your hair TWICE a day ??? Lordy, Girl..even once is way too often.

Do you ever read the bible ? Any Cosmo girl KNOWS you should only wash your hair every few days on average. Those with extra oily may need to wash every day. But you should use only a small amount of shampoo. The "Capful" thing is merely a lie the shampoo companies use to get you to use more product thus needing to purchase more sooner.
LOL..I was a teenager when I did it twice. I read the directions

Old 06-05-2011, 11:12 PM

My only caveat to sugar or salt facial scrubs -- be very careful! Scrubbing is a manual exfoliation, and it can be too hard on sensitive skin. I can't use scrubs at all -- I can't even use those net body poofs -- way too scrubby. I use a washcloth gently and not on my face at all, except to rinse. Gathering up water to splash with a washcloth is way faster than cupping my hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living