Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times

Advertisements

People who "re-claim" items from the curb perform a valuable service for those who could not otherwise own these items.

America is the land of plenty still yet but "plenty" leads to extreme"waste" in our disposable society.

That said, there really are people that live by scavenging what others dispose of thus needing no income or no job. All they do is work at re-claiming what is wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
I've recently started looking for change on the ground. It's amazing how much is dropped on the floors of check out lines.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I've recently started looking for change on the ground. It's amazing how much is dropped on the floors of check out lines.
Also drive up windows at fast food places that close for the night,
even parking lots...
have picked up coins off the ground for years...one year I found $70.00
in coins...I saved it all in one jar and at the end of the year added it all
up & that's how much I had found...
don't find as much now, but I can still come up with 10-20 dollars over a year...pennies from heaven---nickels, dimes, quarters too...

Old 01-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Also drive up windows at fast food places that close for the night,
even parking lots...
have picked up coins off the ground for years...one year I found $70.00
in coins...I saved it all in one jar and at the end of the year added it all
up & that's how much I had found...
don't find as much now, but I can still come up with 10-20 dollars over a year...pennies from heaven---nickels, dimes, quarters too...
Great idea! Thanks. I have a big jar that I keep change in. I've had change drop at fast food lines before and not bothered to get out of the car to pick it up. I'm sure there is many other people that happened to also.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:57 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,652,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Great idea! Thanks. I have a big jar that I keep change in. I've had change drop at fast food lines before and not bothered to get out of the car to pick it up. I'm sure there is many other people that happened to also.
hmm, maybe there's something to this...I may try it too! be interesting to see how much we could find in a year.

P.S. I never heard of re-roasting coffee before. I may give it a try. I wonder if I could add some vanilla extract? Hmmm, how much would I need? Trial and errors coming up, I believe! haha.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Sleeping at the office is the only one I would consider "extreme." I did pick up a "kitty perch" out of the garbage once. Cleaned it up good before using it.
We have 3 cat trees that we intercepted on the way to the dump. Had to clean them up a bit, but our cats love them. Two of them we priced at over $100 each at the stores.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
I "collect" coins. I pick up any coins that I see.

I put all spare change in a big jar and take to the bank's coin counter every so often. It adds up.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
I find coins in and around my old west Texas house and barns all the time. When we first bought the place, I found a pile of pennies (about $1.00) between the barns where it appeared that someone had emptied an ashtray or a console. This past summer I found a 1955 penny in great condition in the middle of the dirt road and yesterday I found a 1980s nickel in an old burn pile. This old place dates probably back to the the 1920s so I am sure there is much more to find.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:29 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
I know someone who collects free things from craigslist and resells them.

Too muck work for me.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
I know someone who collects free things from craigslist and resells them.

Too muck work for me.
I think a lot of people around here are doing that. I've found that most stuff doesn't even sell on Craigslist anymore. I end up putting the stuff at the curb and people come get it. No one has any money anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living