Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what does this mean? i currenly have verizon and im happy with everything but the price. i pay about 220 a month now for my 3 phones (2 with data).

i checked the last bill and it was about 190mb of data used.

how about using a phone i currently have? cant cancel verizon service (when contract expires) and still use the phone for another provider?
You can use any Verizon or even Alltel phone that has a clear ESN for PagePlus.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
I have MetroPCS, switched from Sprint in January, saving over $90 a month.
Unlimited data, minutes and text, $45 plus $3.00 payment fee a month, total. I do have a couple of extras - unlimited GPS and voicemail-to-text, so my bill is $53 a month, total.

Since it's a no-contract plan they don't give you a deal on the phone (although their crappy "smart" phones start at about $30.) I bought a Blackberry Curve used for cheap, though, so I have full data capability.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,815 times
Wait wait.. we are trying to change our cell plan to mobile due to it being much cheaper than Verizon.
But wait.

Virgin Mobile is $25 a month for 300 minutes plus unlimited data, e-mail, web, and text? what's the catch? Usually anything that good, there's a catch.

We don't use many minutes, but do love text and data. This sounds ideal for us... but I'd like to know.. what's the catch.. lol

Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Wait wait.. we are trying to change our cell plan to mobile due to it being much cheaper than Verizon.
But wait.

Virgin Mobile is $25 a month for 300 minutes plus unlimited data, e-mail, web, and text? what's the catch? Usually anything that good, there's a catch.

We don't use many minutes, but do love text and data. This sounds ideal for us... but I'd like to know.. what's the catch.. lol
No catch. It's a pretty good plan if you can live within 300 minutes.

Most people might miss unlimited nights and weekends, along with roaming.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No catch. It's a pretty good plan if you can live within 300 minutes.

Most people might miss unlimited nights and weekends, along with roaming.
So the catch is we just pay for the phone and no free minutes during the night and weekends?
Is that really it?
If so, I'm going to be mad that I've had Verizon all these years. I could of had like 18 summer homes for all the money wasted with them

$25 + some tax a month for 300 minutes + unlimited everything else? Is this for real?
I know I'm asking again, but this seems just.. too solid.

Funny thing too, is we were interested in the LG Optimus T from T-Mobile. They have Optimus V, and looks like Amazon has it for $130. I'm sure other stores will have them for around those prices.

Man. This is insane.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
So the catch is we just pay for the phone and no free minutes during the night and weekends?
Is that really it?
If so, I'm going to be mad that I've had Verizon all these years. I could of had like 18 summer homes for all the money wasted with them

$25 + some tax a month for 300 minutes + unlimited everything else? Is this for real?
I know I'm asking again, but this seems just.. too solid.

Funny thing too, is we were interested in the LG Optimus T from T-Mobile. They have Optimus V, and looks like Amazon has it for $130. I'm sure other stores will have them for around those prices.

Man. This is insane.
I have the Optimus and the $25 a month Virgin Mobile plan. I switched from Sprint to Virgin and love it. No difference in service, speed, or reception. And since I text far more than I actually call, 300 minutes is pa-lenty for me. I was concerned that the no-contract phone companies would have a lower quality of service, but that has not proven to be the case.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I have the Optimus and the $25 a month Virgin Mobile plan. I switched from Sprint to Virgin and love it. No difference in service, speed, or reception. And since I text far more than I actually call, 300 minutes is pa-lenty for me. I was concerned that the no-contract phone companies would have a lower quality of service, but that has not proven to be the case.
Thank you thank you thank you!
I agree, 300 minutes for both of us (would have separate phones, of course) is a lot.

So, we would have an account that would have our credit cards linked to them..and it would load the $25+taxes every month? Or I could go to a store, purchase $25 (or more) and just load the account up..and my credit card will only be charged for what's not in the phone's account -- Am I correct on how this works?

This is off topic, but I want people's feedback on this. Over the years, I have always thought about pre-paid phones or these no contract phones were pretty cool... but other people convinced me that these phones are for "poor" or "ghetto" people. ? ? ? I think because of this, is why I've been an idiot with a contract all of this time. I hope this doesn't offend anyone -- as this wasn't what I said -- but I'm just curious as to why these phones get a rep like that??

I've been texting my partner all day about this and his response was "But we're not black" lmao. I just don't understand??

Saving money = "poor", "ghetto", and my favorite "black" ?!

Again: Not trying to go off topic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard this!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Thank you thank you thank you!
I agree, 300 minutes for both of us (would have separate phones, of course) is a lot.

So, we would have an account that would have our credit cards linked to them..and it would load the $25+taxes every month? Or I could go to a store, purchase $25 (or more) and just load the account up..and my credit card will only be charged for what's not in the phone's account -- Am I correct on how this works?

This is off topic, but I want people's feedback on this. Over the years, I have always thought about pre-paid phones or these no contract phones were pretty cool... but other people convinced me that these phones are for "poor" or "ghetto" people. ? ? ? I think because of this, is why I've been an idiot with a contract all of this time. I hope this doesn't offend anyone -- as this wasn't what I said -- but I'm just curious as to why these phones get a rep like that??

I've been texting my partner all day about this and his response was "But we're not black" lmao. I just don't understand??

Saving money = "poor", "ghetto", and my favorite "black" ?!

Again: Not trying to go off topic, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard this!
Prepaid plans are common among the poor, ghetto folks due to affordability and are commonly used in drug dealings and crime as they are harder to trade. But prepaid plans are also common among a good chunk of the middle-class as well. Having a prepaid plan doesn't make you ghetto, if that's what you are asking. It wouldn't fly in the business world, but if it's what you want, go for it.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
OK, another variation. I have absolutely no use for such a phone, I have a landline and desktop internet, and if I think of someone to call when I'm at the supermarket, I can wait till I get home.

But it would be nice for a two-month road trip. Can I get a short term contract, or prepay, with web browsing and roaming? What would be the best deal avaliable? If I bought a 1-year contract, is it transferable, that I can sell the thing with the remaining contract? Or buy one on craigslist with a few months remaining on the contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living