U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,468,376 times

Advertisements

I did some work last week to try and shave some $ off my telecommunications spending. I have local phone/unlimited long distance/high speed DSL through Qwest (which is changing its name soon since it was purchased last year by CenturyTel). My elderly mother lives with me, talks on the phone all the time, and can't use a cell phone for her hours-long social calls because she is too hard of hearing -- hence the landline dependence.

To make a long story short, Qwest did cut $10/mo. off the DSL portion of my bill when I gave them some hard numbers of where I could get it cheaper. Then the customer service person volunteered one other discount. He asked where I got my TV service. When I said DirecTV, he asked how I paid (answer, mine was billed on my Visa so I could get airline miles). They said if I authorized the billing to be turned over to them, DirecTV would discount my bill $5 per month to get me out of their billing system and the new discounted total would be added to my phone bill.

I don't know if DirecTV has this arrangement with other telecoms, but it's probably worth asking if you could use that extra $60 elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM

983 posts, read 2,167,257 times
DishNetwork has the same deal with WindStream if you have these two services.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,612,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I did some work last week to try and shave some $ off my telecommunications spending. I have local phone/unlimited long distance/high speed DSL through Qwest (which is changing its name soon since it was purchased last year by CenturyTel). My elderly mother lives with me, talks on the phone all the time, and can't use a cell phone for her hours-long social calls because she is too hard of hearing -- hence the landline dependence.

To make a long story short, Qwest did cut $10/mo. off the DSL portion of my bill when I gave them some hard numbers of where I could get it cheaper. Then the customer service person volunteered one other discount. He asked where I got my TV service. When I said DirecTV, he asked how I paid (answer, mine was billed on my Visa so I could get airline miles). They said if I authorized the billing to be turned over to them, DirecTV would discount my bill $5 per month to get me out of their billing system and the new discounted total would be added to my phone bill.

I don't know if DirecTV has this arrangement with other telecoms, but it's probably worth asking if you could use that extra $60 elsewhere.
Letting someone into your bank/credit card account to take money out at will is a very, very bad idea.

I did this once with my home/car insurance finding out that everytime a withdrawl came due the amount drawn was a little more than last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living