U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 PM

1,599 posts, read 694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
If you notice, you'll never see a coupon for fresh vegetables, fish, or meat. A large percentage of what you see for coupons are processed food or junk food. Whenever I use coupons its always almost for "paperware", cereal, medical stuff, and dairy.

I agree with the above poster...I simply just don't buy a million of one item just because I can get them for a few cents or free. If I don't need it or will never use it, then I don't want it.
That's not true entirely.
veteran couponers can find coupons for these items at times.
places to look would be: store websites for $off $$ purchase of produce (or at kiosks where you can print them in store)
I've found printable coupons for Driscoll's strawberries (used one yesterday)
There's a website devoted to organic deals and coupons..if you look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 02:01 PM

19,134 posts, read 13,380,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

One of my best Walmart deals was the Dannon smoothies. The price was .99 and I had coupons $1/1. I got 20. The cashier was not amused. There was a lady in line behind me with two kids. After I got my 20 free bottles, I gave her and her two kids, 2 bottles each.
This really steamed off the cashier.
Some of the store employees get so offended when you get an item for free, as if the discount is out of their pocket.
I worked at a quick lube place many years ago where our 'ticket' was calculated after coupons and sale prices were applied. So the regional office would send out 'free' oil change coupons, heavily discounted coupons etc. and we were expected to make up the difference by pushing extra services to bring the ticket back up. So, naturally, most of us would get pissy if people came in with a bunch of coupons because that meant we had to work even harder to get the ticket back up, and often times it meant staying after work for a few more hours.

That mentality stayed with me for a few years after I quit and moved on. Coupon carriers pissed me off...now I'm over it thank goodness, but perhaps some of those cashiers are still in a similar mindset?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 PM

4,553 posts, read 3,193,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
You did good then and so did she
You know, I really wish that our DES office would have actual classes to teach people getting food stamps the "smart" way to use them. They could make their money go soooo much farther if they did. Even menu planning and cooking classes might not be a bad idea, especially for people with families. I also wish they would put LIMITS on what types, and how much, "junk" they can buy with food stamps. The longer I cashier the more I notice it and it doesn't make me mad or anything, like it does 'some' cashiers, but it does bug me sometimes because they could do so much better.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I worked at a quick lube place many years ago where our 'ticket' was calculated after coupons and sale prices were applied. So the regional office would send out 'free' oil change coupons, heavily discounted coupons etc. and we were expected to make up the difference by pushing extra services to bring the ticket back up. So, naturally, most of us would get pissy if people came in with a bunch of coupons because that meant we had to work even harder to get the ticket back up, and often times it meant staying after work for a few more hours.

That mentality stayed with me for a few years after I quit and moved on. Coupon carriers pissed me off...now I'm over it thank goodness, but perhaps some of those cashiers are still in a similar mindset?
In a way it DOES come out of our pocket with the company I work for. We receive quarterly bonuses, based on quite a few things, and if they have to pay out a lot for "our mistakes", you can bet it's going to come out of our bonus. It PAYS to be very careful about stuff like that and I really do try to be. But to get mad about accepting coupons? No.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:05 PM

5,081 posts, read 4,709,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
They SHOULD ad match Harris Teeter. They won't double coupons but they'll match the price without a coupon and we've even taken other stores coupons so who knows? This week I've accepted coupons from Target, Walgreen's and CVS. They just have to be entered into the register in a different way.
The problem on the buy 2 get 3 free Cokes and Pepsi, at Harris Teeter is due to Harris Teeter's regular price. Buy 2 get 3 free sounds great, but the regular price for one is $6.29 so $12.58 for two, then 3 free.

Still a good deal, but I bet the regular price is not $6.29 at Walmart.

We also have Bi-Lo and they often have their Cokes and Pepsi 12 packs on sale for 3 for $10.00. Nice and reasonable $3.33 each, not some $6.29 like The Teeter.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,061,658 times
I was ecstatic to fnid a 54 cent coupon for yellow cherry tomatoes. I try to buy mainly fruits and veg, so finding that was great!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,155,949 times
While we are on the subject... I also like to use coupons and do save money, however, for those of you who do the extreme couponing, please find a time to do it when there is quiet time at the supermarkets! The lunchtime hour during the day is not a good time

Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 AM

5,081 posts, read 4,709,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
I was ecstatic to fnid a 54 cent coupon for yellow cherry tomatoes. I try to buy mainly fruits and veg, so finding that was great!
A 54 cent coupon (not 50 or 55) is quite rare.

produce and meat coupons are often on wine tags.

I plan to take my B1G3 free Coke ad to Walmart and see if they take it.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The problem on the buy 2 get 3 free Cokes and Pepsi, at Harris Teeter is due to Harris Teeter's regular price. Buy 2 get 3 free sounds great, but the regular price for one is $6.29 so $12.58 for two, then 3 free.

Still a good deal, but I bet the regular price is not $6.29 at Walmart.

We also have Bi-Lo and they often have their Cokes and Pepsi 12 packs on sale for 3 for $10.00. Nice and reasonable $3.33 each, not some $6.29 like The Teeter.
Well, if my math is correct...and I'm NOT very good at math...lol Five 24 packs would average out about $2.50 each.

You're right...they aren't that expensive at Walmart. The most I've seen was $5.89 and a lot of them have a $1 off coupon attached, so $4.89. Last week we did an ad match for $2.22 each on a purchase of 4-24 packs. I don't even drink the stuff so only notice the price when I'm at work.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:26 AM

1,599 posts, read 694,379 times
The buy 2 get 3 free Coke would be great if you have the free 12 pack coupons from MyCokeRewards. I think the limit on the coupon is $4.99 so you'd have to pay the difference on the packs you're using the coupon for...but still...that'd be cheap soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living