Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM

410 posts, read 832,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Honestly I'm not trying to be snarky here, but what neighborhoods/areas of Houston? I truly have not seen apartments in nice areas advertised for that low in a long time. I would love to know where - it might mean that it really would be affordable to sell this place and move back into an apartment where I don't have to worry about maintenance and repairs. :-)
It was on that apartmentguide.com, so they may have been bad areas and I wouldn't have known it because I don't know the area. So you may be right....

Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is not so. A company owes its employees everything that was implied at the time of hiring (and vice versa), which includes good faith and loyalty and trust and a willingness to meet half-way on any issues that may arise during the course of employment.
That's a slightly different point than whether or not a company should offer a benefit, such as life insurance, which is the comment to which I was responding.

With that, I disagree with your statement. Well - I disagree in part; I agree with the second half of what you said from a moral, ethical, building good relationships with your employee stance (in other words, I personally believe that).

But from the cold hard reality of the business world, a company owes its employees only that which was specifically agreed to as compensation in return for work performed in any contract between the two parties - anything "implied" is not necessarily "owed" (although that's really a legal issue). Likewise, a company has no obligation to meet any employee halfway on anything - a company has an obligation to do what is best for the company, which can very well be a my-way-or-the-highway type of approach. How well that could work out in the long run is an entirely different conversation.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:

I wish I could figure out the multi-quote feature.
Easy peasy -- on the bottom of any message there is a button that says *quote*. Next to that button is a button that has *" +* . If you place your cursor over it, hover text should appear that says Multi-quote. Click it.

Then click the Multi-quote buttons on other messages.

(There's a third button at the bottom of a message that is for quick reply)

THEN at the bottom of the page of messages, click on the *Post Reply* button -- all the posts you hit multi quote for will appear as different quoted messages in your reply text box. AND you can edit the quoted posts down, so you only have to reply to what you want to reply to.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM

764 posts, read 1,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
It was on that apartmentguide.com, so they may have been bad areas and I wouldn't have known it because I don't know the area. So you may be right....

Okay I stand corrected, there are apartments advertised that are pretty inexpensive. Some of the areas are bad, others may be okay but are close to the bad areas, others I'm really not that familiar with or my info about them isn't accurate because the area may have changed quite a bit since I was last there.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,835,916 times
To the original question, YES.

And though I have felt myself hurtling toward that brick wall the last 20 years I have been unable to do anything to change course. And it's getting closer...

Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
OK I didn't read all the posts, but I think it is because the OP has kids. I think they'll create a lot of unexpected expenses. Also, if you have health problems...those can be really expensive and blow the budget...

I don't have any advice...just hang on in there.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OK I didn't read all the posts, but I think it is because the OP has kids. I think they'll create a lot of unexpected expenses. Also, if you have health problems...those can be really expensive and blow the budget...

I don't have any advice...just hang on in there.
I don't have kids, but had cancer treatment and it was tough even with insurance. $250 co-pay every time I walked through the hospital door. That's a lot on a bookkeepers salary. If I had not had good insurance and had to pay co-insurance on my hospital bills (for example, 20%), it would have bankrupted me. Fortunately, I was covered at 100% after the co-pay.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
There are Section 8 apartment that look almost like luxury apartments infact due to the Zoning laws, there are Section 8 in a very good area now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66
*Where* in Houston is that cheap? I haven't seen rents that low (even in the "not-so-nice" parts of town) in a number of years.

I wish I could figure out the multi-quote feature.

Yeah, that area isn't exactly the best part of town and it's too far from where my husband works. The commute would eat up any savings in rent, assuming we could find something that was half-way safe.

To the best of my knowledge, we don't qualify for Section 8, but from what I've seen, if a place accepts Section 8, it's usually in pretty poor condition and/or in a bad part of town.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There are Section 8 apartment that look almost like luxury apartments infact due to the Zoning laws, there are Section 8 in a very good area now.
11.74 an hour is "too much money" for a section 8. Low 20's is the WORST income bracket. It is too much to get any kind of assistance, yet not enough to make it.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
11.74 an hour is "too much money" for a section 8. Low 20's is the WORST income bracket. It is too much to get any kind of assistance, yet not enough to make it.
No its not. In Texas, I think you just have to make under $30K to get this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living