Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
There has been a thread on ordering eyeglasses online. I've been happy with the $12 eyeglasses I ordered online from Zenni Optical.
I saw that thread, but it's (unfortunately) irrelevant since I have the frames in my hand.

Quote:
We live in a pretty rural area so Walmart is pretty much the only option.
Count your blessings. We've got Pearle Vision, Lenscrafters, Wise Eyes, American Vision, etc. Basically, it's a minefield of options where markup ranges from 100-500%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Walmart and any other place are usually required by state consumer laws to break the exam and prescription fill into two distinct services, so yes you can just have an exam and get prescription.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If you get the exam at Walmart will they let you walk out with the perscription so you can get the glasses online?
Yes. And any other optometrist office too. They have to give you the prescription. Some places do it automatically, some you have to ask for it, but they are obligated by law to give it to you. After all, you paid for the exam. Here's the law:

FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION
PART 456--OPHTHALMIC PRACTICE RULES--

Sec. 456.2 Separation of examination and dispensing.

It is an unfair act or practice for an ophthalmologist or optometrist to:

(a) Fail to provide to the patient one copy of the patient's prescription immediately after the eye examination is completed.

Provided: An ophthalmologist or optometrist may refuse to give the patient a copy of the patient's prescription until the patient has paid for the eye examination, but only if that ophthalmologist or optometrist would have required immediate payment from that patient had the examination revealed that no ophthalmic goods were required;

(b) Condition the availability of an eye examination to any person on a requirement that the patient agree to purchase any ophthalmic goods from the ophthalmologist or optometrist;

(c) Charge the patient any fee in addition to the ophthalmologist's or optometrist's examination fee as a condition to releasing the prescription to the patient. Provided: An ophthalmologist or optometrist may charge an additional fee for verifying ophthalmic goods dispensed by another seller when the additional fee is imposed at the time the verification is performed; or

(d) Place on the prescription, or require the patient to sign, or deliver to the patient a form or notice waiving or disclaiming the liability or responsibility of the ophthalmologist or optometrist for the accuracy of the eye examination or the accuracy of the ophthalmic goods and services dispensed by another seller.

Revised as of January 1, 1999]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 16CFR456.2]

Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,039 times
To the OP: Check online, some places offer to install lenses on your frame, so it can be done.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,178 times
Friend used Zenni and was satisfied with her glasses. She said to be sure and get your pupilary (sic) distance written on prescription as you will need to provide this information to Zenni.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Although it takes awhile, I was happy with Zenni. I got 3 pairs of glass and 2 pairs of prescription sunglasses for under $100. But I don't have a complex prescription.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 PM

84 posts, read 398,180 times
Costco frames 49 & lenses $150
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living